LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE THIS 2002 IMPALA, THAT HAS GIVEN ME NOTHING BUT TROUBLE, STARTED OFF WITH THE LIGHTS FLICKERING,SECURITY LIGHT WAS ON, THEN THE CAR SHUTTING OFF, THE RADIATOR MESS'S UP, ETC..

THINGS, ALREADY DONE:

1. CHANGED BODY MODULE-=FLICKERING
2. CHANGED STARTER= 3 TIMES
3. RADIATOR = 4 TIMES IN 1 YEAR
3. CHECKED ELECTROLICIS..
4. THERMASTAT
5. WATER PUMP.
7. RADIATOR,
8. RADIATOR.
9. VALVE GASKETS
10. UPPER AND LOWER IN TAKE MANIFOLDS.
11. HEAD GASKETS.
12. CATAYLAC CONVERTER

NOW I AM BACK TO THE DAM RADIATOR AGAIN.. AFTER EVERYTHING WAS DONE WITH

I RECENTLY REPLACED THE VALVES, HEADS, ALL SEALS, UPPER N LOWER MANIFOLD,.. NOT EVEN A WEEK WITH THE CAR AND THE RADIATOR BLEW A DAM HOLE.. I REPAIRED IT AGAIN.. NOW 1 WEEK LATER THE SAME CRAP HAPPENED THE RADIATOR BLEW I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ANY MORE..

I NEED HELPPPPPPPPP...

·
Registered
989 Posts
check your radiator cap, it shouldnt let your rad build that much pressure, should release pressure at like 15lbs, nowhere near high enough to put a hole...but you should also find out why your building excessive pressure in your cooling system, my guess would be head gasket leak between the coolant passage and a cylinder....you say you changed the gaskets, did you get the head checked out to make sure its not warped??? hope this helps, just my .02

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the heads brand new when the radiator busted last time. it messed it up basically blew my heads so as a precaution i just had them do the heads right away i don't want that to happen again.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Lil_Peezy420@Nov 18 2008, 08:31 AM~12189813
Sell it and get an oldschool? :dunno: :dunno:
I am at that point already.. my old school drives better than the new stuff out there the new stuff is all sensors.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anybody else have anymore in put on this issue.. Thank you..

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Goodtimediva@Nov 19 2008, 12:03 AM~12198637
Anybody else have anymore in put on this issue.. Thank you..

:dunno:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Since it is OBD II, have you checked to see what codes it flashes? That will help with the electrical gremlins, but not the radiator.

Did you do the work, or was it done by a shop? If a shop did the work, I would have it towed back there ASAP. My guess is the same as corndawg: A blown head gasket. That is really the only way you can pressurize the cooling system. You could also whip up a pressure gauge, and attach it to the radiator to see what kind of pressure you are generating.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by racerboy@Nov 25 2008, 08:04 PM~12259524
Since it is OBD II, have you checked to see what codes it flashes? That will help with the electrical gremlins, but not the radiator.

Did you do the work, or was it done by a shop? If a shop did the work, I would have it towed back there ASAP. My guess is the same as corndawg: A blown head gasket. That is really the only way you can pressurize the cooling system. You could also whip up a pressure gauge, and attach it to the radiator to see what kind of pressure you are generating.
Both, I did some of the work and had a shop do the rest.. I have gotten the pressure test done they say it is fine..

I am gonna try the gas test... to see if there is any fumes in the radiator.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by corndawg@Nov 18 2008, 05:05 AM~12188727
check your radiator cap, it shouldnt let your rad build that much pressure, should release pressure at like 15lbs, nowhere near high enough to put a hole...but you should also find out why your building excessive pressure in your cooling system, my guess would be head gasket leak between the coolant passage and a cylinder....you say you changed the gaskets, did you get the head checked out to make sure its not warped??? hope this helps, just my .02

head gaskets are new so are the heads. I figured since i had the money and they already had it taken apart might as well change it so I did..

I also put a new cap 15lbs.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by budgetblueoval@Nov 26 2008, 06:20 AM~12262307
what motor. 3.8 or the 3.1 both are known for certian problems and what kind of coolant are u running, if the factory was some orange colored shit or regular green

orange coolant.

I know the seals get eatin up after time the 2002 is a really bad year. nothing but problems. there is no recall on the upper manifold, that shit was shooting the water out like no 2morow that why i did all the work i did and a waste of money because that crap is still not fixed.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
changed the thermosat replaced the radiator cap again but while testing it out it blew another dam hole in the raditator why is it ruing to hot..

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
if its running hot you may not be bleeding out all the air. i seen so many of those damb cars that i cant remember, but is the radiator cap actually on the over fill bottle. also does that motor have 1 or 2 bleeders on it. one will be buy the thermostat and the other (optional) will be at the water pump. if the radiator cap is on the over fill bottle those are a pain in the ass to bleed out. you have to keep cracking open the bleeder/s and kkeep putting new coolant in. and feel the rad. hoses they should both be hot and no air should be comming out of the bleeders and should have heat at the vents.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Originally posted by Goodtimediva@Dec 1 2008, 01:41 AM~12299900
changed the thermosat replaced the radiator cap again but while testing it out it blew another dam hole in the raditator why is it ruing to hot..
i still think your problem is with a leaky head gasket/warped head, even if your car is running hot, there is no way it should be building enough pressure to be blowing out radiators left and right like that....like maniak said, make sure your bleeding out the air, that will make it heat up, but not pressurize the cooling system, unless the air that needs to be bled out is coming from a combustion chamber........ :confused:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
i didnt look, but did you do a leakdown test? you could also try a compression test, but a leakdown will tell you right away.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
but didnt he say that the psi was fine. i just was over heating and the poping the radiator or some ish like that

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
initially a compression test may not reveal much, as a 20lb difference betwen cylinders is not uncommon.

a leakdown is the only surefire way.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by racerboy@Dec 1 2008, 03:26 PM~12304600
i didnt look, but did you do a leakdown test? you could also try a compression test, but a leakdown will tell you right away.

No I have not because i always see it leaking so I know my car leaks. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts