LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 283 with a cam and hydraulic lifters ... does anyone know how to adjust them

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
rotate the engine until both rockers open then close. tighten them up to you get zero lash between the valve tip and rocker arm.then tighten one full turn. make sure the car has been sitting for a while so the lifters can bleed down

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
if your talkin bout adjusting the rockers,you have to do it while the motor is runnin-there has to be oil in the lifters to adjust them correct so you cant do them with the motor off-if you do it when motor is off they will be overtightened and motor wont run for shit :yessad:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
motor is out of car so what s the best way ... cause i was told cant put on intake until rockers are adj..

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Originally posted by clownen@Mar 9 2010, 07:22 PM~16843651
motor is out of car so what s the best way ... cause i was told cant put on intake until rockers are adj..
bull shit since it is out the car tighten each rocker on its COMPRESSION STROKE so there is a slight drag on the pushrods and you can barely turn them

the best way to adjust them is with the engine running

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Originally posted by clownen@Mar 9 2010, 10:22 PM~16843651
not true by no means-soak your lifters in oil overnite,then put them and pushrods in,put rockers on,but only tighten until they barely touch pushrods-once you get motor in car and running is when you adjust them-it will run fine by doin what i say,no way to properly adjust hydraulic lifters when motor isnt running,can only do that with solid lifters :cool:

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
take an old distributor grind the teeth off the bottom pull all the shit off the top so you can take a drill and connect it to the shaft (might have to grind down shaft a little) then put it in like a regular distributor then start drillin, voila you made an aftermarket engine oiler (turns oil pump to pump oil) then when everything is oiled up adjust yo rockers, otherwise semi adjust your rockers on compression stroke then finalize the adjustment when the motor is installed and running

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Originally posted by chongo1@Mar 10 2010, 12:46 PM~16849245
take an old distributor grind the teeth off the bottom pull all the shit off the top so you can take a drill and connect it to the shaft (might have to grind down shaft a little) then put it in like a regular distributor then start drillin,  voila you made an aftermarket engine oiler (turns oil pump to pump oil) then when everything is oiled up adjust yo rockers, otherwise semi adjust your rockers on compression stroke then finalize the adjustment when the motor is installed and running
you can do the same with a big flathead screwdriver-cut off handle and stick in drill-still cant do it correct without motor running :yessad:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Originally posted by pink63impala@Mar 10 2010, 01:42 PM~16851334
do em like i mentioned above and youll have no problems. we probaly build 1000 chevys a year
I agree, however the inexperienced can do them this way and it works just as good.

1. Loosen all the rockers so they all rattle (are loose) just a bit.
2. Rotate the engine so the timing mark is at 0.
3. Tighten all the rockers until you get all the up/down play out of the push rod.
4. Turn an additional 3/4 or 1 full turn (your choice but do them all the same).
5. Rotate engine around 1 time to the same mark at 0.
6. Perform steps 3 and 4 on all the now "loose" rocker arms.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts