LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up, anybody out there know anything about 3-speed column shifts? I have this option in my '65 Imp, and I would like to keep it because I'm staying original. The problem is, I can only shift into 1st & reverse. I know it has something to do with the linkage, but I never adjusted one of these. I searched online for some info, but came up empty handed. Any help would be apreciated.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
every 3 on the tree ive had jammed between 1st n 2nd gear-just get out and wiggle the linkage then its fine fer a min-there not the greatest thats for sure-also dont speed shift em-had mine bind up pretty good trying try catch 2nd lol-had to use a hammer when i did that :biggrin:

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
Originally posted by danp68@Oct 12 2007, 01:40 PM~8987111
every 3 on the tree ive had jammed between 1st n 2nd gear-just get out and wiggle the linkage then its fine fer a min-there not the greatest thats for sure-also dont speed shift em-had mine bind up pretty good trying try catch 2nd lol-had to use a hammer when i did that :biggrin:
ya...my pop's told me they jam alot too...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by danp68@Oct 12 2007, 12:40 PM~8987111

Are you saying, pop the hood and give the linkage a jiggle? Anybody have any literature on them? Like a assembly manual, that they can scan and post on here?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Originally posted by RidnHigh@Oct 16 2007, 11:17 AM~9013830
Are you saying, pop the hood and give the linkage a jiggle? Anybody have any literature on them? Like a assembly manual, that they can scan and post on here?
yeah grab the linkage on the steering coulum and wiggle it up n down

·
Registered
45 Posts

here you can see which link to work on. the metal link might also be disconnected or jammed at the bottom by the tranny or by the lower firewall where it comes off from the side of the tranny. basically there is two rods one for first and reverse and the second for second gear and third gear

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
how hard would it be to replace the standard transmission with automatic, would I need a different steering column or can I get away with just replacing the linkages aside from the transmission itself?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Originally posted by danp68@Oct 16 2007, 02:03 PM~9015103
yeah grab the linkage on the steering coulum and wiggle it up n down
It's common for the linkage to get jammed on column shifters...happens all the time....but if its not getting the gears....could be the synchronizers in the tranny

1 - 11 of 11 Posts