LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i'm lookin at a 64 with 3 on the tree..its got a 350 in it.
So my question is how do the gears work on a colum shifter??
somebody please give me a lil help here.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody?? somebody must have drove one of these before :angry:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
evwe since i learned to drive standard ive always wanted to drive a car or truck like that,this guy was selling me a 79 chevy short bed straight six for $500 but it needed alot of work alot of patch panels

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea well this impala has a 327 in it..imagine the fun i could have lol

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
the shiftin would be in an H shape I think

the top left leg of the H is first, the botttom left leg is 2nd, the middle bar is neutral, the top right leg is 3rd and the bottom right leg of the H is rev

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea just curious cuz its on the coloum..wondered if u pushed it away from u for certain gears or pulled towards u 4 others. i don't plan to keep it 3 on the tree. i plan to put it as an auto but until i have the money to do that i wanna make sure i'll be able to drive it. I know how to drive stick so i hope it won't be too diff. I just wonder how stiff the clutch will be

·
Registered
248 Posts
pull towards you and down is 1st straight up from first is rev push away and up is second straight down from second is third thats how it was on my 66 c10

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Its the same thing as shifting on the floor only the shifter is turned sideways.

On a 3 speed on the tree, you pull torwards you and push up for reverse. For first gear you pull torwards you and push down, 1st is right under reverse. For second you push it up and forward, then 3rd you just keep it pushed forward and pull it straight down.

Like I said before its the same as on the floor for a 3 speed, same H pattern only its turned sideways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts