LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im tryin to tune the 305 in my 84 caddy , but i cant seem to stop it from backfiring through the carb.Ive changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor .Why is it doing this? Could it be the timing [I never changed it from where it was when i swaped it out of the MC] or maybe its the carb? The engine also seems to run fast at idle.How do I adjust the idle, if it is the carb?

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
advance the timing a few degrees..... thats all i can think of right now .... bust out the timing light just to see if it's way far off....

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that , it heped a little but i think i need some carb work thanks for the help would an intake manifold leak cause it to miss?

·
0 Posts
Retard the timing with someone trying to keep the engine running

Too much advanced timing = Backfires throught the carb, Too much retarded timing = Backfires through the exhaust. This could also be caused by a rich mixture condition, try starting it with out a choke, the high idle may just may be because the choke is on ;)

Justin

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
a leak in your intake would cause it to run very lean. like 87RAM said it is probably running rich. if it is you will really be able to smell the gas when standing behind it.
but did you say that you put the engine in with the distributor still in it? it wouldn't be to hard to knock it a few degrees out of wack while dropping in the engine.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i have a 305 in my caprice that'll backfire for the first 5 min of running, so i get to scare all of my neighbors at night :biggrin: i live nearby a real rich neighborhood and its fun as hell to roll in with the stero blastin and backfire it a dozen times, the looks on their faces are priecless

but seriously, id like to stop this from happening
my car will stall if you stay on the gas too long
it smells gassy

what to i adjust to fix this problem??
carb or timing?? or both??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts