LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
man ive been holding out for a 350 chev but ive found several 307 olds motors. whats the story on them? are they garbage like 4.1 caddy motors? id just like to hear some feed back on what you guys thing about 307 motors.

also will sbc chev parts bolt up, e.i. valve covers

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
I have one in the Cutlass and it seems to run good and strong! I don't think Chevy parts will bolt up! The whole configuration of the motor is different! I have a 305 in the Monte and it doesn't look as cluttered as the 307!

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by timdog57@Dec 5 2003, 09:22 PM
I have one in the Cutlass and it seems to run good and strong! I don't think Chevy parts will bolt up! The whole configuration of the motor is different! I have a 305 in the Monte and it doesn't look as cluttered as the 307!
yea i noticed that 307 have a lot of smog equipment

then again i was looking at mostly 70's chev motors compared to 80's olds'

do they have cronic problems like oil bruning or weak bottom ends?

·
Registered
742 Posts
I got a 307 in my Buick and its alittle different than the olds one but its powerful and strong and the the 350 probably wont bolt up because they have different coonfigurations. What kind of car do you have?

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
my olds engines fine...she drips oil ...but thats because the oil pan bolts are loose(if i try to tightin them down it will split the gaskget) but i have removed all the smog pump BS. engines stonge

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Originally posted by rollin low in a grand prix+Dec 5 2003, 11:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rollin low in a grand prix @ Dec 5 2003, 11:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--timdog57@Dec 5 2003, 09:22 PM
I have one in the Cutlass and it seems to run good and strong!   I don't think Chevy parts will bolt up!  The whole configuration of the motor is different!  I have a 305 in the Monte and it doesn't look as cluttered as the 307!
yea i noticed that 307 have a lot of smog equipment

then again i was looking at mostly 70's chev motors compared to 80's olds'

do they have cronic problems like oil bruning or weak bottom ends?[/b][/quote]
I haven't heard of any serious problems with them! They are just like any small VC-8 the valve covers seem to leak on occasion! I just don't like all of that smog bullshit piled up front!

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Originally posted by OakCliffRider@Dec 5 2003, 10:28 PM
I got a 307 in my Buick and its alittle different than the olds one but its powerful and strong and the the 350 probably wont bolt up because they have different coonfigurations. What kind of car do you have?
:uh: 307 is olds

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm

what about tranmission bolt patterns
arnt 307's different then 350's

or are all 350 transmissions the same?

GP and all g-bodies came with 307's and 305's

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive also been told that the motor mounts dont need changed from a 231 v6 with a 350 trans to a v8 motor....any truth to this statement?

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
humm when my oll mans a tranmission tech so ill ask him when he gets back from some auto show ;)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
All of the cutlass i have had all had a 307 they are good engines but if i were you i would just hold out for the 350 for a few different reasons they are easier to find parts for also..I hate all that smog shit that are on the cutlass's you cant even see the passenger side valve cover.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Ive dona alot of reserch on 307s, so heres the business!

307s are low maintnence engines, that burn less oil, and gas than Chevy enignes. It is very hard to find parts for a 307. Its very hard to generate over 250hp with a 307.
There are two kind of 307s. 1980-1984 307s with 5a heads, and 1985-1990 6 or 7 A heads. the earlier 307s are 180hp and the later 307s are 140 hp. The difference between the two engines are the heads. The later 307s have swirl port heads (GMs answer to fuel economy)

I kept my 307 because I like Oldsmobile better than Chevy, everyone has a chevy engine! My 307 was bored 0.40 over, and its preety mean..

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
307 are good anless they are ran hot but they are hard to get chrome parts for etc... i had one in my cutt i started buying chrome for but after buying a few things i said fuck it and bought a 350 you have to special order almost every thing for them lol but if that does not bother you then i would get one mine ran fine

and a 350 turbo tranny will bolt right up to a 307 the same with a olds 200 will bolt up to a 350

and one thing is a olds 307 or 350 is built right they are some bad ass engines

·
Registered
141 Posts
ur right eveythig is different on a 307... i just did the head gaskets on it and i asked the macienist what the difference was and he said the heads and the block... other than the blown the head gaskets its a pretty strong motor...

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I have a 307 and with my pumps and 6 batteries in the trunk I can still take a lot of Mustangs and cars like that. I even have a few problems that needto be fixed like a couple vaccum leaks and shit like that. Not to mention the great gas mileage they get. ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
you cant find a 350 sbc? they are pretty common. if you can get specific, look for pre-70s, they dont have all the smog nonsense on them. if you are lookin to build it up from the ground, just go to a junk yard. 350 sbcs are all over the place.

but the 307?? i dont really know anything about that...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
i have a 307 with every thing good on it a/c pump/alt etc... with no smog on it with a good tranny and the engine and tranny have less that 65K on them i will sell all for 400 im in kansas city

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by cadillac_rider@Dec 8 2003, 08:25 AM
you cant find a 350 sbc? they are pretty common. if you can get specific, look for pre-70s, they dont have all the smog nonsense on them. if you are lookin to build it up from the ground, just go to a junk yard. 350 sbcs are all over the place.

but the 307?? i dont really know anything about that...
nt get me wrong, sbc are around....but ive seen 307 for sale for 1/3 the price of a chev....i guess no one wants them :(

i dont want a tire burning hp engine. i want reliable v8 power

1 - 20 of 41 Posts