LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 80's model chevy 350 engine ran good before it blew head gaskets so i replaced them and forgot to mark my distribitor and turned my engine over a few time with out it in there. so my question is how do i get this back in right.

·
18,283 Posts
With the number one piston at top dead center, install the distributor with the rotor pointing at the number one cylinder. ;)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im gonna have to get a new battery but that exactly what i did. it looks pretty close to pointing towards the number one cylinder. hope it works.

·
Registered
20,447 Posts
Originally posted by lowrider_620@Dec 18 2008, 08:54 AM~12464937
im gonna have to get a new battery but that exactly what i did. it looks pretty close to pointing  towards the number one cylinder. hope it works.
That's the way to do it (TDC), should work. :cool:

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
dude its simple take the number one spark plug out and stick your finger over the hole when u feel it on the compression stroke at its max pressure thats tdc. and the cap onlt goes on one way so throw the cap on the dizzy and mark on the body where the no# one plug wire is then stab the dizzy in the block and moce it and the oil pump shaft until the rotor is close to the mark on the dizzy body that u made eailer that should get u in the ball park enought to start it

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did excatly what you said it cranks and acts like it wants to start but never does i have no clue what i did wrong.

·
18,283 Posts
Originally posted by lowrider_620@Dec 20 2008, 12:53 PM~12483863
i did excatly what you said it cranks and acts like it wants to start but never does i have no clue what i did wrong.
Rotate the distributor 180 degrees.

·
Registered
88 Posts
u might also have to re-do the firing order if u took the cables off from the cap and / or the spark plugs(1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
if your wires are good.. and it still doesnt start only cranks.. turn the rotor 180 degrees...

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
DOES IT HAVE SPARK?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Originally posted by abas_abas@Dec 21 2008, 04:28 PM~12491416
if your wires are good.. and it still doesnt start only cranks.. turn the rotor 180 degrees...
rotor AND shaft.

·
que..
12,562 Posts
Originally posted by budgetblueoval@Dec 19 2008, 08:42 AM~12474236
dude its simple take the number one spark plug out and stick your finger over the hole when u feel it on the compression stroke at its max pressure thats tdc. and the cap onlt goes on one way so throw the cap on the dizzy and mark on the body where the no# one plug wire is then stab the dizzy in the block and moce it and the oil pump shaft until  the rotor is close to the mark on the dizzy body that u made eailer that should get u in the ball park enought to start it
what this dude said..right on the nuts :puffin: :puffin:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Originally posted by Peezy_420@Dec 27 2008, 02:34 PM~12537670
what this dude said..right on the nuts :puffin: :puffin:
x2

another inexpensive item that will help you out is a remote starter. it available at most auto parts stores for less than $20. you attach one end to the trigger wire on the starter, and the other to the batterey. this allows you to turn the motor over whithout using the ignition in the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts