LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just dropped a 350 in my regal and I want to know what the temp should be on my guage right now it reads between 180 and 210 is this right? or should I just go with a 180 degree thermostat. The motor is all stock right now except for an open element filter. Thanks for any feedback. Eric.

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
a 300 degree one would work great

naw just go with a stock 180

i dont have a thermost on my cutlass but then again i live in texas

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah but what happens in the winter? it gets real cold here in Tennessee

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
Originally posted by 85REGAL@Aug 18 2005, 11:12 PM~3654705
yeah but what happens in the winter? it gets real cold here in Tennessee
you install a thermost and a new gasket

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you're in a climate where it's cool all the time, keep a 180 degree thermostat in it. Personally I like a 160 degree as you get plenty of heat in the winter and if it's 100 degrees outside you're still in good shape. I've rebuilt many many small block GM motors and have owned mucho, have 2 in 2 of my vehicles now, and the first thing I do is put a 160 thermostat in them. You can run them hard, they stay cool enough, and you have alittle time if they start to over heat on you. With a 180, you're very close to the danger zone, and if the temp starts to climb, you don't have much time. And, make sure, in every vehicle, that your gauge is accurate. I'm telling you from 30 years of first hand experience.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is going on here? I put a 180 degree stant super stat in my 350 and the gauge still read 190 and almost 200 in standing traffic, what is happening here? Radiator is full of coolant, new waterpump, new radiator, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM!!

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by 85REGAL@Sep 3 2005, 09:51 PM~3748079
what is going on here? I put a 180 degree stant super stat in my 350 and the gauge still read 190 and almost 200 in standing traffic, what is happening here? Radiator is full of coolant, new waterpump, new radiator, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM!!

Normal

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how is this normal?, the gauge should read 180 not 190 can anyone help me understand this?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Originally posted by 85REGAL@Sep 7 2005, 08:57 PM~3773663
how is this normal?, the gauge should read 180 not 190 can anyone help me understand this?
The thermastats job is to open up at its set temp, in this case 180. This doesnt mean it will stay @ 180. Hows the block's passages ?? You have a new radiator, pump, and I'm assuming the hoses are good and not collapsing. Solid fan, or fan clutch ??

John

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
190 to 210 is about normal. newer cars run even hotter.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes I replaced everything, water pump, radiator, thermostat, hoses I even ripped out the Ac condensor so that the radiator could get unrestricted airflow. I guess I just what the temp gauge to read 180 without it moving but that's pretty unrealistic huh?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts