LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1128 Posts

·
The Canadian
7,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search and come up with a couple different topics, but they never really had all that much info. I plan on doing this in a couple months and could use all the info etc i can get.
What all needs to be changed?
Will my driveshaft have to be shortened?
Would a turbo 350 be a good tranny for me, or would a 400 tranny be better?
Whats going to be simpler to install, a carbed 350 or a throttle body, i can get both?
etc etc, maybe we can pin this?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
82-85 use a Small block Chevy engine, and the original tranny if it is still good, if not use a 2004r or a 700r4, the 350 turbo wont work bad but the overdrive tranny will work bettter on the highway and the car will take off better.

In the 80 and 81 the Small block Chevy will work but you will need to switch to a Chevy bellhousing tranny or use an adapter plate. The dealership used to replace bad motors with 350 Olds engines, and they will bolt up to the stock turbo 400 tranny. If you are replacing the tranny a 2004r, 350 turbo, or 400 will work but use the 400 for the most straight forward install, and a 368, 425, 472 or 500 Cadillac engine will drop back in with the least amount of trouble. If you use the Caddy engine the 425 will be the easiest to find.

There are no cheap fuel injection set-ups for the Caddy and Olds engines, but TBI isnt all that expensive. Carbed is the easy way but there are harnesses that make fuel injection easy too.

This is just a quick idea of what the swap takes, when you figure out what engine you are using I can give you more info about your particular swap.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
Originally posted by TwistedDreamz87@Jan 21 2008, 07:19 PM~9749098
awesome topic I want to put one in my 82, wut up ulysses??? where you been hiding at???
x2 :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Originally posted by TwistedDreamz87@Jan 21 2008, 06:19 PM~9749098
awesome topic I want to put one in my 87, wut up ulysses??? where you been hiding at???
Ive been right here, just put my Tan Fleetwood on some all Gold 22s, I put my 93 on some chrome 22s, and put a new top on my Coupe Deville. Whats up with your car?

If you change the engine in your car, go with a 350 Chevy engine and it will work with the original tranny.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Originally posted by Ulysses 2@Jan 21 2008, 06:45 PM~9749335
Ive been right here, just put my Tan Fleetwood on some all Gold 22s, I put my 93 on some chrome 22s, and put a new top on my Coupe Deville. Whats up with your car?

If you change the engine in your car, go with a 350 Chevy engine and it will work with the original tranny.
lol, above 20s aint me but both them fleets look good.you fix the filler on the 93? if i remeber right it was alil smashed. my car is just wasting away safety in my driveway, im tryin to get a job but im not 16 yet.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Originally posted by TwistedDreamz87@Jan 21 2008, 06:56 PM~9749413
lol, above 20s aint me but both them fleets look good.you fix the filler on the 93? if i remeber right it was alil smashed.  my car is just wasting away safety in my driveway, im tryin to get a job but im not 16 yet.
Yeah I put the 22s on the 93 because I bought the car to sell it, its alot easier to sell a car on big whells than a lowrider. I paid to get the filler fixed and the car painted Im just working on picking out a color. If the car dont sell within the next 2 weeks Ill be putting some gold 14s and a hopping bag set-up on it, so dont count me out just yet.

Besides my black Coupe Deville has 2 pumps to the nose( 1 to the back) and 14 batteries, I think thats plenty. :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Originally posted by Ulysses 2@Jan 21 2008, 07:05 PM~9749516
Yeah I put the 22s on the 93 because I bought the car to sell it, its alot easier to sell a car on big whells than a lowrider. I paid to get the filler fixed and the car painted Im just working on picking out a color. If the car dont sell within the next 2 weeks Ill be putting some gold 14s and a hopping bag set-up on it, so dont count me out just yet.

Besides my black Coupe Deville has 2 pumps to the nose( 1 to the back) and 14 batteries, I think thats plenty. :biggrin:
sounds good :cool:

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Originally posted by G'dupGbody@Jan 21 2008, 07:09 PM~9749564
what about the engine mounts for this engine swap will any of the original ones for the caddy work for the 350?
you might have to change the motor mounts, for me ive heard that id have to get 87 monte carlo motor mounts but it depends on the year of your car

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Originally posted by TwistedDreamz87@Jan 21 2008, 08:12 PM~9749615
you might have to change the motor mounts, for me ive heard that id have to get 87 monte carlo motor mounts but it depends on the year of your car
yea i figure the 307 mounts would work but im not sure

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Originally posted by G'dupGbody@Jan 21 2008, 07:09 PM~9749564
what about the engine mounts for this engine swap will any of the original ones for the caddy work for the 350?
You will have to change the mounts and location to use a Chevy 350 in any of those years. If you use a Cadillac 368-500 you can just drop the engine in. If you are using an Olds V8 in a car that came with a Diesel engine the engine will just drop in.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Originally posted by Ulysses 2@Jan 21 2008, 08:15 PM~9749658
You will have to change the mounts and location to use a Chevy 350 in any of those years. If you use a Cadillac 368-500 you can just drop the engine in. If you are using an Olds V8 in a car that came with a Diesel engine the engine will just drop in.
how hard is it to do this

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Originally posted by G'dupGbody@Jan 21 2008, 07:17 PM~9749678
how hard is it to do this
They go the same place that they go on 90s Broughams. Its not hard just bolt the mounts to the motor, drop the engine in place, tac weld the mounts down and unbolt them from engine and lift it back out, then you can drill holes or weld the mounts down.

·
The Canadian
7,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright, well a little info about my car, it's an 82 with the dreaded 4.1, which barely runs, and my tranny went a couple months ago, i have no reverse, so i plan on completely swapping everything.

The reason i brought up tbi and a turbo 400 is theres this chev van local that i can take everything out, computer, 350, the turbo 400 trans, everything for a couple hundred bucks. My dad did a lil research for me and found out that the fuel systems from my caddy and whats in the van will match up perfect, so i won't have to drop the tank and fuck with that (hopefully). I'm assuming i'll need new mounts, what about my driveshaft?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Originally posted by LacN_Thru@Jan 21 2008, 08:19 PM~9750330
alright, well a little info about my car, it's an 82 with the dreaded 4.1, which barely runs, and my tranny went a couple months ago, i have no reverse, so i plan on completely swapping everything.

The reason i brought up tbi and a turbo 400 is theres this chev van local that i can take everything out, computer, 350, the turbo 400 trans, everything for a couple hundred bucks. My dad did a lil research for me and found out that the fuel systems from my caddy and whats in the van will match up perfect, so i won't have to drop the tank and fuck with that (hopefully). I'm assuming i'll need new mounts, what about my driveshaft?
If its a van it most likely has a 7004r tranny but if it is a turbo 400 it will work but you will have to change the position of the tranny crossmember and the driveshaft if its a long tail 400. You will have to put the mounts in a different position. If you use a long 400 you will have to shorten the driveshaft.
The turbo 400 will work fine its just thats the car is geared for overdrive so it will turn higher RPMs on the highway with the 400.

·
The Canadian
7,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Ulysses 2@Jan 21 2008, 08:49 PM~9750561
If its a van it most likely has a 7004r tranny but if it is a turbo 400 it will work but you will have to change the position of the tranny crossmember and the driveshaft if its a long tail 400. You will have to put the mounts in a different position. If you use a long 400 you will have to shorten the driveshaft.
The turbo 400 will work fine its just thats the car is geared for overdrive so it will turn higher RPMs on the highway with the 400.
ok gotcha, the guy seemed pretty sure it was a 400, is there 2 400's, a long and a short? i just got my driveshaft chromed with a slip installed, last year, hopin i won't hafta fuck with it :biggrin: . But i'll do what i gotta do i guess, thanks for the help by the way :cool:

1 - 20 of 1128 Posts