LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1128 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,582 Posts
Originally posted by LacN_Thru@Jan 21 2008, 09:05 PM~9750710
ok gotcha, the guy seemed pretty sure it was a 400, is there 2 400's, a long and a short? i just got my driveshaft chromed with a slip installed, last year, hopin i won't hafta fuck with it  :biggrin: . But i'll do what i gotta do i guess, thanks for the help by the way  :cool:
check in the trannsmission topic on here or on wikipedia or just the internet you'll find something :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
You can just drop the engine and tranny in together, and make sure the trannys tailshaft mounts back as far as it was with the old engine to save your driveshaft. The good thing about doing the swap, is you can change where you mount the engine to suit other issues you have. Just remember is you mount the motor too far back you will have clearance issues with the mechanical fuel pump, and you will have to use an electric one.
 

·
The Canadian
Joined
·
7,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Originally posted by Ulysses 2@Jan 21 2008, 09:12 PM~9750781
You can just drop the engine and tranny in together, and make sure the trannys tailshaft mounts back as far as it was with the old engine to save your driveshaft. The good thing about doing the swap, is you can change where you mount the engine to suit other issues you have. Just remember is you mount the motor too far back you will have clearance issues with the mechanical fuel pump, and you will have to use an electric one.
thats kinda what i figured too, since i'll be redoing the engine mounts. that tranny topic has some good info!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,710 Posts
Originally posted by Ulysses 2@Jan 21 2008, 09:49 PM~9750561
If its a van it most likely has a 7004r tranny but if it is a turbo 400 it will work but you will have to change the position of the tranny crossmember and the driveshaft if its a long tail 400. You will have to put the mounts in a different position. If you use a long 400 you will have to shorten the driveshaft.
The turbo 400 will work fine its just thats the car is geared for overdrive so it will turn higher RPMs on the highway with the 400.

The TH400 has a different spline than the TH350s and 2004Rs. You will probably have to change the front yolk off the '82 Cadillac driveshaft to fit into the 400. If its an OD 2004R, the driveshaft will work on a TH350 though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by LAK ATTACK@Jan 21 2008, 10:37 PM~9751077
The TH400 has a different spline than the TH350s and 2004Rs.  You will probably have to change the front yolk off the '82 Cadillac driveshaft to fit into the 400.  If its an OD 2004R, the driveshaft will work on a TH350 though.
Go work on your car and post progress :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,484 Posts
Originally posted by LacN_Thru@Jan 21 2008, 01:14 PM~9746331
I've done a search and come up with a couple different topics, but they never really had all that much info. I plan on doing this in a couple months and could use all the info etc i can get.
What all needs to be changed?
Will my driveshaft have to be shortened?
Would a turbo 350 be a good tranny for me, or would a 400 tranny be  better?
Whats going to be simpler to install, a carbed 350 or a throttle body, i can get both?
etc etc, maybe we can pin this?

I did this conversion in my old 83 fleet. Me personally i like the 700r4 because of overdrive and it shifts sooooooo sweet :cool:

what i did was i bought a 86 camaro and used EVERYTHING from the camaro :biggrin:

I used the radiator with the electric fan and hoses, dropped right in except for drilling holes where the shroud bolts to the radiator support to use stock bolts holes. it took like 30 seconds

didn't use the TBI that it had. its alot easier to switch to carb. But if i had more money i would have done a TPI setup or something like that

I used the electric pump in the tank with a regulator, and blocked off the mechanical pump on the block

As far as the mounts i did like Ulysses said unbolted the stock frame mounts, bolted them to the motor, set it in, leveled the motor, moved the tranny crossmember to bolt up to the 700r4, but i was lazy and just welded the mounts back in :biggrin: :uh: i wouldn't prefer that b/c youre fucked if they go bad

I even used the stock Y pipe off of the camaro and cut a piece of pipe to go to the catalytic converter

as far as my driveshaft i just had one made because the stock was too short because of where i set my motor to use the Y pipe, and radiator combo. but it was better for me that way because i had plenty of room all around inside the engine bay.

The power steering lines hook up just fine, no mods.

I used caprice AC lines.

Fairly a simple removal, refurbish :biggrin: , and reinstallation. if you have common sense and mechanical ability its easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,525 Posts
Originally posted by LacN_Thru@Jan 21 2008, 07:19 PM~9750330
alright, well a little info about my car, it's an 82 with the dreaded 4.1, which barely runs, and my tranny went a couple months ago, i have no reverse, so i plan on completely swapping everything.

The reason i brought up tbi and a turbo 400 is theres this chev van local that i can take everything out, computer, 350, the turbo 400 trans, everything for a couple hundred bucks. My dad did a lil research for me and found out that the fuel systems from my caddy and whats in the van will match up perfect, so i won't have to drop the tank and fuck with that (hopefully). I'm assuming i'll need new mounts, what about my driveshaft?

u could rebuild ur tranny homie

4.1's come with da gm th200r overdrive trannys
 

·
The Canadian
Joined
·
7,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Originally posted by 64_EC_STYLE@Jan 21 2008, 11:09 PM~9752271
I did this conversion in my old 83 fleet.  Me personally i like the 700r4 because of overdrive and it shifts sooooooo sweet :cool:

what i did was i bought a 86 camaro and used EVERYTHING from the camaro :biggrin:   

I used the radiator with the electric fan and hoses, dropped right in except for drilling holes where the shroud bolts to the radiator support to use stock bolts holes.  it took like 30 seconds

didn't use the TBI that it had.  its alot easier to switch to carb.  But if i had more money i would have done a TPI setup or something like that

I used the electric pump in the tank with a regulator, and blocked off the mechanical pump on the block

As far as the mounts i did like Ulysses said unbolted the stock frame mounts, bolted them to the motor, set it in, leveled the motor, moved the tranny crossmember to bolt up to the 700r4, but i was lazy and just welded the mounts back in :biggrin:  :uh:  i wouldn't prefer that b/c youre fucked if they go bad

I even used the stock Y pipe off of the camaro and cut a piece of pipe to go to the catalytic converter

as far as my driveshaft i just had one made because the stock was too short because of where i set my motor to use the Y pipe, and radiator combo.  but it was better for me that way because i had plenty of room all around inside the engine bay.

The power steering lines hook up just fine, no mods. 

I used caprice AC lines.

Fairly a simple removal, refurbish :biggrin: , and reinstallation.  if you have common since and mechanical ability its easy.
good info, thats kind of my idea too, take everything from the van and put it in the lac, thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
ive done the swap in an 84 where I took the 4.1 out and put in a 307 out of an 87 Brougham, I just swaped every thing but the wiring harness and the computer. It was just as easy as when i swapped out the 4.1 for the 350 chevy engine. If you use the original 2004r tranny you wont have the modify the driveshaft, and the swap doesnt change any thing with the digital dash either way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,582 Posts
Originally posted by Ulysses 2@Jan 22 2008, 07:10 PM~9758317
ive done the swap in an 84 where I took the 4.1 out and put in a 307 out of an 87 Brougham, I just swaped every thing but the wiring harness and the computer. It was just as easy as when i swapped out the 4.1 for the 350 chevy engine. If you use the original 2004r tranny you wont have the modify the driveshaft, and the swap doesnt change any thing with the digital dash either way.
:cheesy:
 

·
The Canadian
Joined
·
7,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Originally posted by Ulysses 2@Jan 22 2008, 07:10 PM~9758317
ive done the swap in an 84 where I took the 4.1 out and put in a 307 out of an 87 Brougham, I just swaped every thing but the wiring harness and the computer. It was just as easy as when i swapped out the 4.1 for the 350 chevy engine. If you use the original 2004r tranny you wont have the modify the driveshaft, and the swap doesnt change any thing with the digital dash either way.
thats good to know, maybe i'm better just getting the original tranny rebuilt then, the 350 bolted up to the tranny no problem?
 
H

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
i did this swap in my caddy and it was easy as fuck
at first i had the 350 turbo and it made the car move real fast off the line and it felt good on the e-way up to 70 miles an hour then thats when i wished i had an overdrive trans
right now i got a 350 with the 200r4 and its cool

all i did was put the trans in the stock location and droped the motor in with the new mounts installed then i tached them into place pulled the motor back out a finish welding them in all the wiring is pretty much a no brainer iam using a carbed 350
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
Originally posted by LacN_Thru@Jan 23 2008, 12:07 PM~9763683
thats good to know, maybe i'm better just getting the original tranny rebuilt then, the 350 bolted up to the tranny no problem?
yeah thats a much better idea, plus the 350 trannny is gonna kill your mileage
 

·
HOME BREWED, NO HELP
Joined
·
15,756 Posts
what about in a 79 ? my 425 took a shit last week and i know where a low miliage 307 olds is that runs nice, what all besides exaust and motor mounts will i have to change?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
Originally posted by Reverend Hearse@Jan 23 2008, 05:27 PM~9765796
what about in a 79 ? my 425 took a shit last week and i know where a low miliage 307 olds is that runs nice, what all besides exaust and motor mounts will i have to change?
The 425 would work better but the 307 will fit right in if you put the tranny in the same position it was in. The car is going to feel really weak with the 307 though, the engine doesnt make its power in the right RPM range the cars current gearing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,582 Posts
hey ulysses, do you know where i can find 3 nuts for the bumper around here??? i lost three of them when i took it off.
 

·
HOME BREWED, NO HELP
Joined
·
15,756 Posts
Originally posted by Ulysses 2@Jan 23 2008, 05:11 PM~9766107
The 425 would work better but the 307 will fit right in if you put the tranny in the same position it was in. The car is going to feel really weak with the 307 though, the engine doesnt make its power in the right RPM range the cars current gearing.
i was just going to juice it and make it a weekend car anyway. i tend to stay on surface streets , fuck the freeway......i cant really find good 425's around here.....
 
21 - 40 of 1128 Posts
Top