LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1128 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by TwistedDreamz87@Jan 23 2008, 09:59 PM~9767475
hey ulysses, do you know where i can find 3 nuts for the bumper around here??? i lost three of them when i took it off.
Hit up the hardware store foolio, and grab plenty of extras... :cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,920 Posts
I swapped out the 4.1 for a chevy 350 in my 84 a few years back... at first i used the stock tranny and the engine bolted right up (77 chevy 350).. the tranny was later swapped out for a turbo 350 which was not a wise choice.. as for mods i relocated the engine mounts an inch further forward than needed so i didn't have to shorten the driveshaft... used a throttle cable out of a g body... and power steering pump out of a chevy car... as for the fuel pump i disconnected the in tank pump and ran an aftermarket electric pump for a carburated v8... its a really easy swap if your somewhat mechanically inclined
 
H

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
WHY IS EVERYONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH A 350TURBO TRANS IN THESES CADDIES?
I HAD ONE IN MINE AND IT WORKED GREAT
 

·
The Canadian
Joined
·
7,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Originally posted by Chris@Jan 24 2008, 01:33 AM~9769949
I swapped out the 4.1 for a chevy 350 in my 84 a few years back... at first i used the stock tranny and the engine bolted right up (77 chevy 350).. the tranny was later swapped out for a turbo 350 which was not a wise choice.. as for mods i relocated the engine mounts an inch further forward than needed so i didn't have to shorten the driveshaft... used a throttle cable out of a g body... and power steering pump out of a chevy car... as for the fuel pump i disconnected the in tank pump and ran an aftermarket electric pump for a carburated v8... its a really easy swap if your somewhat mechanically inclined
:thumbsup: i remember that car, saw it in parksville a few years back, thanks for the info!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
Originally posted by hosscutlass@Jan 24 2008, 03:18 AM~9770548
WHY IS EVERYONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH A 350TURBO TRANS IN THESES CADDIES?
I HAD ONE IN MINE AND IT WORKED GREAT
The trannies work fine but they do turn very high RPMs on the highway, but thats only on the 82 and up models because they are geared for an overdrive tranny, on the 81, back to 78 a turbo 400 was used and the car is geared differently so the 350 tranny will work fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
IF YOU GO WITH THE 400 THE TRANNY MOUNT WONT MOVE THE 200 4R HAS THE SAME MOUNT LOCATION BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE YOKE THE HOLES FOR THE MOUNT SHOULD ALREADY BE IN THE FRAME.
 

·
The Canadian
Joined
·
7,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Originally posted by duck@Jan 25 2008, 09:31 AM~9780439
IF YOU GO WITH THE 400 THE TRANNY MOUNT WONT MOVE THE 200 4R HAS THE SAME MOUNT LOCATION BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE YOKE  THE HOLES FOR THE MOUNT SHOULD ALREADY BE IN THE FRAME.
good shit homie, i think i'm going to just get my old tranny rebuilt, i should be picking up a motor in the next week or so, then the swap a lil after that, i'll post some pics fo sho! :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,407 Posts
Originally posted by Ulysses 2@Jan 21 2008, 04:15 PM~9748554
82-85 use a  Small block Chevy engine, and the original tranny if it is still good, if not use a 2004r or a 700r4, the 350 turbo wont work bad but the overdrive tranny will work bettter on the highway and the car will take off better.

In the 80 and 81 the Small block Chevy will work but you will need to switch to a Chevy bellhousing tranny or use an adapter plate. The dealership used to replace bad motors with 350 Olds engines, and they will bolt up to the stock turbo 400 tranny. If you are replacing the tranny a 2004r, 350 turbo, or 400 will work but use the 400 for the most straight forward install, and a 368, 425, 472 or 500 Cadillac engine will drop back in with the least amount of trouble. If you use the Caddy engine the 425 will be the easiest to find.

There are no cheap fuel injection set-ups for the Caddy and Olds engines, but TBI isnt all that expensive. Carbed is the easy way but there are harnesses that make fuel injection easy too.

This is just a quick idea of what the swap takes, when you figure out what engine you are using I can give you more info about your particular swap.
this guy knows his shit...... :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,920 Posts
Originally posted by hosscutlass@Jan 24 2008, 08:18 AM~9770548
WHY IS EVERYONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH A 350TURBO TRANS IN THESES CADDIES?
I HAD ONE IN MINE AND IT WORKED GREAT
when you got loud exhaust, gear drive, and a 3 speed transmission it gets a little annoying on the highway especially when you drive it everday
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,876 Posts
Originally posted by Ulysses 2@Jan 24 2008, 04:28 PM~9773795
The trannies work fine but they do turn very high RPMs on the highway, but thats only on the 82 and up models because they are geared for an overdrive tranny, on the 81, back to 78 a turbo 400 was used and the car is geared differently so the 350 tranny will work fine.
oh no, :( im fixing to send off a 90 rear end for chrome, I already had it shortened for zeiniths and reinforced, i was hoping to run a 350 s.b.c/350turbo combo just to bypass all the comp shit, im not mechanicly inclined what so ever, but i do make a mean omlet! :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
Originally posted by LUXURIOU$LAC@Jan 28 2008, 02:05 PM~9803630
oh no, :(  im fixing to send off a 90 rear end for chrome, I already had it shortened for zeiniths and reinforced,  i was hoping to run a 350 s.b.c/350turbo combo just to bypass all the comp shit, im not mechanicly inclined what so ever, but i do make a mean omlet! :biggrin:
It will work, and it wont be too bad, it just wouldve worked alot better with overdrive, and you will be fine in the city. If you ever replace the tranny get one with overdrive. But since you have to put the gears and all back in the rear end anyway you could just get some 3:73s and fix the problem totaly ;)
 
H

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
i been looking at one of the overdrive things that bolt to the back of the trans cause i loved my 350turbo in my caddy and it would be nice to have the overdrive for my long trips to south ohio
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
Originally posted by hosscutlass@Jan 29 2008, 04:44 PM~9814648
i been looking at one of the overdrive things that bolt to the back of the trans  cause i loved my 350turbo in my caddy    and it would be nice to have the overdrive for my long trips to south ohio
Itd be way cheaper to just put some new gears in the rearend , or but an overdrive tranny. If you like the 350 turbo you should love the 700r4, it has a lower first gear so the car will take off faster. Take it from me, Ive had both in my Coupe Deville
 
41 - 60 of 1128 Posts
Top