LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im checking out stroker kits and i notice they only really come with cranks pistons and connecting rods, i know im going to need more then just that to rebuild my engine, what should i be buying

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
They all come with everything necessary to assemble a stroker short block (minus cam)

Besides crank, piston, rods, bearings, you'll need a cam, lifters (that match the cam (ie- roller cam w/roller lifters, flat tappet cam w/flat tappet lifters)
Heads, pushrods, rocker arms, intake, oil pump... ummm............

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
J/W, are you building the engine, or having the shop that machines it assemble??

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by biggeazy-e@Sep 25 2007, 04:22 PM~8868819
J/W, are you building the engine, or having the shop that machines it assemble??
im building, im in my second year of auto at the local college,and they got a massive engine building class so im trying to take advantage while i got some cash to build the stroker engine. i know some shit about engines basic repairs and shit like that but not enough to make educated descisions about what i should be buying :cool:

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
youll need a 350 rebuild kit with .030 over piston rings and 400 rod bearings(should be same as 350)-unless its a destroked 400 with a 350 crank then vise versa-then what ever else u want like carb,lifters,cam,intake,headers ect-the rest is up to u-rebuild kits come with all gaskets,pistons,rings,bearings and usually oil pump and valve seals and stock style lifters-look one up on summitracing.com thatll give ya a good idea or give em a call and ask em 1-800-230-3030 or call up jegs 1-800-345-4545 (jegs.com)

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Get yourself an Eagle or Scat 383 balanced rotating assembly, they come with crank, flywheel, harmonic balancer, pistons, rods, rings & bearings. Make sure your 350 block is clearanced by the machine shop for your added stroke, have the block hot tanked, magnuflexed, bored, cam bearings installed & brass freeze plugs installed.Then you'll need to get a matching cam & lifter set & cylinder heads, I 'd go with 64cc cast iron heads with 202 valves if you want higher compression/more power, make sure you get new valve springs, hardened seats, new valves and its a good idea to get new rocker arms and screw in studs but not a must, or you can go with the very efficient Vortech head but make sure you have a Vortech intake also if you go that route (alumnum heads are overkill unless your a hard core racer) Building a 383 stroker can be very expensive but can also be cost effective depending on the parts you buy and match together. Do alot of research on the net, there are tons of 383 or even 377 build up atricles online, do your homework before dropping that hard earned cash.... :cool:

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by Marxx@Sep 27 2007, 11:44 PM~8885279
Get yourself an Eagle or Scat 383 balanced rotating assembly, they come with crank, flywheel, harmonic balancer, pistons, rods, rings & bearings. Make sure your 350 block is clearanced by the machine shop for your added stroke, have the block hot tanked, magnuflexed, bored, cam bearings installed & brass freeze plugs installed.Then you'll need to get a matching cam & lifter set & cylinder heads, I 'd go with 64cc cast iron heads with 202 valves if you want higher compression/more power, make sure you get new valve springs, hardened seats, new valves and its a good idea to get new rocker arms and screw in studs but not a must, or you can go with the very efficient Vortech head but make sure you have a Vortech intake also if you go that route (alumnum heads are overkill unless your a hard core racer) Building a 383 stroker can be very expensive but can also be cost effective depending on the parts you buy and match together. Do alot of research on the net, there are tons of 383 or even 377 build up atricles online, do your homework before dropping that hard earned cash.... :cool:
100%, If you decide to go with Vortec heads, go with the RHS Vortec, they are a few pounds heavier than the GM Vortec, making them less prone to cracks, and from what I've heard, flow better also... websiite is http://www.racingheadservice.com

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
383 inside
<<<< ;)
i also work at a machine shop, build my own shit :cool:

if you decide to use stock parts ,make sure you have it balanced
there are cheaper /easier ways to go about stroking one, depending on what rods/pistons you have

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advice, i already got "487" camel humps with 202 valves there 76cc so im going with those, so i just need to find a cam to go with it i guess, as far as intake im going with tpi intake :cool:

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by pink63impala@Sep 28 2007, 10:07 AM~8887405
383 inside
<<<< ;)
i also work at a machine shop, build my own shit :cool:

if you decide to use stock parts ,make sure you have it balanced
there are cheaper /easier ways to go about stroking one, depending on what rods/pistons you have
you guys busy at work?

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update: just got done with most of the machining , line hone finish cyl hone to 4.030 w/ a torque plate , mag fluxed the block,sonic tested for core shift, hot tanked and baked it @500 degrees for 4 hrs(dont quote me on the temp), removed the cam bearings, cleaned all the bores (lifter,cam etc), im waiting on decking it 90 degrees because i want to do that last after i mock the short block up and make room for the 383 kit, i did pick up my scat int balanced 383 kit with kb hyperutectic pistons,moly rings , i beam rods, and scat 9000 crank and a few other things like hi flow. reg press oil pump from moroso and deep oil pan. flexplate and balance sfi approved arp bolts for the housing bores, core plugs , and a few other misc things but now im searching for heads and a intake to match , i know i want to run the dual 4 barrel intake from edelbrock but im not sure what to pick up for heads i know i want to run roller hydrualic lifters w/ matching cam but im not sure what to get as far as int runners any suggestion i was thinking i want to go with trick flow any help would be apreciated

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

1 - 12 of 12 Posts