LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
15 years strong
7,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the hard top on my impala is rusted and their a few holes how would i go about fixing it??? if u need a pic to see what it looks like let me know so i can git a pic of it????

·
Registered
949 Posts
cut and weld in patches as necessary to fix the holes ,, cleaning the metal thoroughly around your cuts before you weld ,, clean the weld up (I use 60grit on a grinder very softly ) ,, then get it blasted to clean the rest of the metal up ,, lay an epoxy primer down ,, let dry for 1-2 days ,, then refinish as necassary ..

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I don't wast my time grinding like that, put a stone on the grinder and only grind the weld. if you just use 60, you will gring the metal surrounding the weld and you will get thin metal there and it will rust beside the weld.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by bigdanmcintosh@Jul 22 2003, 01:34 AM
not to mention, it will thin out the already thin sheetmetal!!!
;) whe nI do a rust ratch I cut out about 2 inches more on each side of the rust, then look at the back. it the metal looks suspect, I keep cutting until the metal is good!

·
Registered
949 Posts
I only hit it softly and only the weld ,, I don't lay it flat over the whole surface and sand down everything ,, and this works for me :cheesy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts