LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at the point where I need to build a 4 link for the rear of my Ranger Splash. I'm wondering what people have used to do this. Pics would be good if you've got 'em.

I'm experimenting with a couple different link bars. I have some styrene rod that is hollow in the middle. I'm cutting it into short pieces to be like the end bushings and glueing it to the ends of pieces of brass rod. They look OK but I don't know how well the super glue is going to hold. I've also done the same thing using the styrene rod for the bars too. I'll try to post some pics tonight.

It looks like the hard part is going to be making all the little brackets for the axle and frame. I want it to be somewhat realistic. I don't want to use thick ass sheet for the brackets. Gotta search around the house for a suitable material for this.

The Splash is comming along well. I modified the I beams up front to lay the big wheels. Talk about DROP beams! I modified the frame for the stock floor b/d and made a new low pro tranny crossmember. Here's a quick pic.

Oh, does anyone know of a putty that you can use to stick parts together to mock them up?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
i sold 1ofaknd an all chrome 4-link setup for his silverado. i'm not sure how it turned out though :dunno:
i'm sure if i was to look in his post about the truck there might be some pics there huh? lol

here's one of mine incase you need something to refferance

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
thats from one of my old kit parts that i have.

the backside is open (doesnt go all the way around the axle) so you'd have to glue it in place once you get it where you wanted it. unless you was to box it in around the axle, then you could let it pivot around.

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
if you want to mock up your parts, try using clay...

i'll get that pic up in a min. of my 4 link...are you wanting a parallel, or a triangulated 4-link(most mini's run triangulated)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a '39 Wagon Rod' kit or something a while back that had a parallel 4 link in it but I didn't really like the way it looked. I've since sold the kit.

Anyway, I got a little impatient when I got home from work and just had at it to see what I could come up with.

not bad for my first try! I didn't try a triangulated 4 link because making these 4 brackets were hard enough on my fat fingers. Making smaller ones would've killed me lol

cool thing is that it's going to be able to articulate! I think I'm going to make some fakey hydraulic cylinders from round styrene stock for the body and thin metal rod for the cylinder so the rod can slide in and out of the cylinder and I'll have a moving 4 link.

this has me brainstorming about making the front suspension posable...

one more shot.

this is going to be cool!

all the pics of the Splash are at http://public.fotki.com/lofrontier/models/splash/

·
Registered
187 Posts
LOL, just made me think of somethin ... a while back, a buddy of mine was over here building models, and he was goin through one of my parts boxes,lookin for shit to steal, and put on his... he was cryin because he needed a rearend... I said " make one !!", he goes " yeah right ...outta what?" , I go " there's a hunk a wood, layin over there, ain't there?!!" LOL so I snatched a little piece of wood, and started hittin it with the dremel...lol, after I broke off one of my spring perches, I lost interest, and through it at him and said " now... what the fucks wrong with that, bitch! " LOL love givin him a hard time... a little bit later he wanted a pro stock hood snorkel..... another chunk of wood LOL ...fukk him lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
LOL yeah ..... like you never :cheesy:

I told him to keep it away from open flames

...... what else was I supposed to do?... he was buildin a Woody :cheesy:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I made the frame mounting brackets tonight. This thing turned out pretty nice. Gotta start on the panhard bar now.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
man, I need to put down this model and go to sleep.

I started working on the panhard bar

the bars aren't quite to scale but that's fine with me.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Originally posted by lofrontier@Jan 15 2004, 11:16 PM
man, I need to put down this model and go to sleep.
lol, dont you hate that?

that seems to be when i do some of my best work is when i'm dead tired and half asleep. but hey, once you get on a roll... you gotta keep at it.

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
damn man, if that turns out good and is posable, i give much props to ya...haven't seen this one before

and yea, those are some chunky brackets, but next time around i'm sure you'll get it lookin better.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
i have a working four link on my s10 i made it with that metal supply shit they sell at the hoby shop like brass and aluminum tubing i am going to make the whole frame and chassis out of that crap

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Jan 16 2004, 12:21 AM
damn man, if that turns out good and is posable, i give much props to ya...haven't seen this one before
sounds like a challenge LOL

so here's my first shot at hydros. mind you I'm a bags guy and have very little experience with juice so modeling it in scale is going to be a learning experience.

this is all still just mocked up.

the trick is going to be in making the connection at the axle. Does anyone make 1/24 scale power balls?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts