LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wen u press da gas it makes like a crackle crackle crackle...

so i pull ova at my cuz's house and u can smell it burnin oil so i pop da hood and a lil ..just a lil bit of smoke was comin out da vavle covers it looked lik.... so i wait and den drive it home and at home i check da oil and it looks really thin...durs anuff but its really thin so i dont know whas da prob wit it...maybe i should put thicker grade oil ?

it runs and drives just dat noise ...

and i guess it dont got ALOT of power, lik u floor it and it dont go fast ..it will go 2 60s and 70s but it takes a while...not a racer but still ...so not sure wha it needs...

its a 83 coupe deville 4100...wit 68k miles

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by SICBSTRD@Dec 7 2003, 08:42 PM
4100 is garbage...pull the motor out and put in a 350!!!
nah im trynin to keep it OG as possable

and on a side note... its not wen u press da gas only... i just turnd it on and it still makes da crackle noise....

sum people told me dat it could b da gas octane...id need high octane cuz it werkd 4 him....and about da burnin oil i could need thicker oil....so imma try dat tomorrow morn and see wha happens

·
Registered
840 Posts
Originally posted by calvin+Dec 7 2003, 06:53 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (calvin @ Dec 7 2003, 06:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--SICBSTRD@Dec 7 2003, 08:42 PM
4100 is garbage...pull the motor out and put in a 350!!!
nah im trynin to keep it OG as possable

and on a side note... its not wen u press da gas only... i just turnd it on and it still makes da crackle noise....

sum people told me dat it could b da gas octane...id need high octane cuz it werkd 4 him....and about da burnin oil i could need thicker oil....so imma try dat tomorrow morn and see wha happens[/b][/quote]
Some things aren't worth keeping og. But if you keep it, it will be og.....original garbage. Not clownin but if you keep that engine your gonna go broke and frustrated keeping it going. I had one in my eldo and it was a nightmare till the engine block cracked. One of the biggest mistakes of cadillac besides the cimarron :(

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn... dey cant b dat fucked up....

is dur a engine dat can just fit right in?...cuz i kno chevys dont just match up u kno...

but 4 now i gotta keep da engine as is i just need it 2 not crackle and shit u kno....

so imma just put thicker oil and high octane gas and see wha happens

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whas so bad bout 4100s? is it sumthing n paticular or da whole thing ?

cuz if its just like block couldnt i put a new diff. block? and it would str8? im sayin if dats wha makes a 4100 a POS

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
to everyone downing the 4100, if you haven't owned one than don't comment on em. mine has a 4100 and you know what, it runs great and i have no complaints. its all about the owner and the maintenence.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Originally posted by 83Coupe@Dec 7 2003, 07:53 PM
to everyone downing the 4100, if you haven't owned one than don't comment on em. mine has a 4100 and you know what, it runs great and i have no complaints. its all about the owner and the maintenence.
Two of the three responses were from previous owners of cads with the 4100. The 4100's are notorious for heating problems and I experienced this when my car overheated and I discovered antifreeze in my oil. And I'm sure they may be fine if well maintained but what about the previous owners for the last 20 or so years? Some online shops won't even warranty parts on the 4100 specificly so that must say something. Calvin do a search on the net for the cadillac 4100 problems and you'll see your problem is typical and your not alone. I'm just speaking from experience which was a costly one since I paid $2000 for my eldorado and got to enjoy it for 4 months until it went out. I don't know why but at the time I never considered replacing the motor and ended up getting $300 for it when I sold it :angry:

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Originally posted by 83Coupe@Dec 7 2003, 09:53 PM
i worked with a guy who was a salesman for caddy for years he said4100 s NEW with NO miles on them and they would leak antifreeze on the showroom floor they are junk . ive owned a few so i can comment on them :biggrin:

·
Registered
715 Posts
its the 1st time Cadillac contracted out for their engines, the dealers kept 30 engines in stock, by the time u needed a tune-up the ht needed replacement, and after that most mechanics refused to work the aluminum beast , that knocked on the lower end crank shaft

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I did alot of work on the 410 DFI engines in those Caddies. They do have alot of problems. Sometimes your lucky and get the one out of hundred that will run fine. I wont warantee the work done on those engines.

·
Registered
715 Posts
but on the other hand, thats what will make 80-85 devilles desirable, knowing that it will take extra effort, to keep it real, shoot, most of them are crushed on purpose, or abandonded, except this one

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
damn ....ok so wha is a engine dat will bolt right in? olds 307? chevy 305? chevy 350?.. i dont really want 2 go into da hassle of gettin motor mounts and new tranny ...i mean wha i had planed was 2 just get it runnin put sum rims and den build a engine and tranny and den just swap it but im hearin it takez a mission 2 put a chevy into a 4100 spot?....

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
found out wha it was....

da fuckin starter...

now its runnin ok... and i put thicker oil...no more oil burnin and i put 93 octane gas wit a fuel system treatment shit...

:) dis weekend imma get new sparkplugs and wires cuz dis guy has diff size wires going 2 each spark plug.... :uh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts