LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a 49 chevey and i think i can git her runing. it has been five years but it wasent parked cause of micahnical problems. it seems like it will run it turns over and all but i would like a nother opiuon befor i atempt. it my frind says i should fill it all the way whith oil and let it sit whith the seals for a day or so and then drain it fill it up agin befor starting it! also i whanted to know if it would heart it to give it a small shot of wd-40 in the spark plug holes??????any other ideas????

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Spray some starter fluid in the carb.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I don't think there should be any problems inside the cylinders after the engine not being run for that time.

If your friend means to fill the engine right up, as in RIGHT UP to the top, I wouldn't do that. It would take a lot of oil to do that and you could achieve a similar result by squirting a bit of oil down each plug hole.

What I recommend you do is to remove the spark plugs, squirt a bit of oil down the plug holes and turn the engine over on the starter (with the plugs out so that the starter isn't fighting against the compression strokes), and keep going until you have some oil pressure and the oil light has gone out.

This will allow the oil in the cylinders to lubricate the rings and cylinder walls and also get the oil circulating at the very low turning over speed. If you simply started the engine and there was a problem, you wouldn't know until it was too late - when the engine was already running and damaging itself.

Last edited by M-827 at Dec 15 2003, 05:24 PM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts