LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
** I have just over 12" room for the coil up front... The spring I have are 17" .... I want to lay it down a little bit in front but, I also want to get the MAX bounce from these springs.....How tall are you hoppers using in your cars that still allow you to lower it down...??? I dont need to lay crossmember- just about 3"-4" in between member & ground... Who has a setup like this & has found a medium for both??? Thanks, BOB_T

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
i think 5 tons are to heavy for that car.

·
Gone But NEVER Forgotten
15,590 Posts
we have tried every combo of springs and never has a 5 ton been in that combo. 4 1/2s are usually what we use but it does depend alot on the setup

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the springs from Fernando & we figured that they will work ... By cutting them down ,it should lighten up the spring load....I have 3/8" steel on the crossmember -- fully reinforced everything : upper & lower a-arms w/ 1/4" & 3/8" steel ... 14 batteries , 1 pump up front (maybe 2), 20" Big Daddy rear cylinders, "Slingshot" modified rear end, Adex dump up front... Thats basically it....

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
ANYTHING OVER 4.1/2 TONS IS TOO MUCH, IT WONT ALLOW ANY SPRINGIN' ACTION.
AND REMEMBER THE CAR NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO COMPRESS THE SPRINGS WHEN LANDING TO GET A GOOD HOP...

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
actually the 5 ton pro hoppers are just a little heavier then the 4 1/2's, i think. they are just spaced out more.

i would leave the springs as long as they can be and try them out,after they break in (or dont break in) cut them more if you need to, maybe 1/2 turn at a time.it takes a little time, but that way you dont cut too much off, and waste money on another set of coils!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
* The springs have a decent gap between the coils ..I will try to install as much as I can ... Thanks,BOB_T

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The 5 tons are bigger around and harder to get to fit in the lower a arms. I gring the shit out of 4 1/2 to get them to fit, but you would have to do alot more grinding on the 5s to make them fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts