LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wad up!!!! I have a 58 Chevy 2 door that I am just finishing up the restore on.....My question is I just bought a 91 Caprise Classic with a 350 EFI and a 700R4 that were both recently rebuilt and runs Great......The 58 is completely custom and I'm not worried about where the motors numbers matching.....I done some research and I know that I am going to need a 700R4 crossover bar to mount to the X-frame and I guess my biggest delimia is I don't know if I want to go carbs or keep the EFI......At this point I know if I keep the EFI and will need to run a secondary fuel line, fuel pump, and a wire harness. Has anybody done this swap and will I need new motor mounts. ANY HELP will be great!!!!!! I also want to take the power streering box out of the Caprise and it "LOOKS" like it will bolt up to where the old streering box was located.........

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
id stick with the efi. if the car orignaly had a small block of any size with new mounts the 350 efi id a bolt in. but the tranny crossmember other than makin one i dunno . i dont think the stock one will work i think the 700 is longer than the powerglide that it came with. and the sterring box i dont know either . check with street rodders on the h.a.m.b. they know alot about steering box compatibilty. from what i know i think that 91 uses a 605 box witch is a popular box for use in swaps in older chevys

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks......I thinking of sticking to the EFI......I pretty sure the swap to Carbs would cost about the same.....Took out the Steering box and it lines up perfect just gotta shorten the steering shaft......

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
great conversion! now would be the time to add a vintage air conditioning system!

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Originally posted by racerboy@Jan 19 2009, 11:23 PM~12753743
great conversion! now would be the time to add a vintage air conditioning system!
gangsta ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the HUGE picture.......There's been alot done to this car since this picture......Bought the Car on Ebay for $275 last year.....nobody saw the posting because he spelled CHEVY wrong ("CEVY")......I'm in Hampton, VA near VA Beach

·
PINCHE GABACHO
9,466 Posts
Originally posted by Va58Chevy@Jan 25 2009, 06:45 PM~12810451
Sorry for the HUGE picture.......There's been alot done to this car since this picture......Bought the Car on Ebay for $275 last year.....nobody saw the posting because he spelled CHEVY wrong ("CEVY")......I'm in Hampton, VA near VA Beach

:0

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tried to mount the motor but discovered that the stock drive shaft yoke does not mount into the transmission.....thank God I keep the yoke out of the donor car and now I'm tring to figure out how much I need to shorten the drive shaft....read a couple of other posts on layitlow and found out the others have cut as much as 6 1/2" off....Based on my measurements it looks like I only need to trim about 3".....I also removed the AC compressor and the SMOG pump and I want to mount a Drive Line Compressor in there place....Does anybody know where I can find a bracket for the compressor

·
Tree Fitty
9,859 Posts
Originally posted by Va58Chevy@Jan 25 2009, 05:46 PM~12810464

BEAN DIP :biggrin: :biggrin: :cool:

·
Tree Fitty
9,859 Posts
Originally posted by C h e v r o l e t I m p a l a s@Jan 24 2009, 06:59 PM~12803913
post pix of the car  :cool:
I've got some pics of this ride...really impressive build especially if you'd seen it in the beginning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts