LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47,193 Posts
im running 605 on my car with a big block 348. its a real tight fit and the belts have to be almost exact size because there isnt much room for adjustment but once u get past the belt problem its all good. works great.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
doing it on my 64 right now you can get a kit from cpp on ebay or you can get one from ABS brakes . Lot of people sell the kit

·
~RIP BIG MIKE~
39,174 Posts
Originally posted by west coast ridaz@Feb 14 2010, 01:36 AM~16606250
WHOS HAS PUT THEM ON IS IT EASY BOLT UP WHERE THE BEST PLACE TO GET IT FROM AND PICS POST THEM PLEASE IN THE MARKET
I HEARD THE G BODY POWER STEERING BOX WILL WORK FINE ON THESE CARS?

·
~RIP BIG MIKE~
39,174 Posts
Originally posted by lone star@Feb 14 2010, 08:30 PM~16611637
thats what the 605 is...most g bodies are 605.
so have you tryed this?? what is all needed? cuz theres a shit load of g bodys down here in the yards i want to try it, do the ss gbodys got the same as the normals 1s? or they all just the same

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Ive been checking out a buncha kits. theres one on Ebay for like $400, DONT BUY IT. I emailed someone who bought it and he said the kit was shit, and he needed to drop way more money into it afterwards. Ecklers has a nice kit for around $750ish. Truck and Car shop has a kit for $500. I thinkin about gettin that one but i've bought shit from Truck and Car shop before and the quality left alot to be desired

·
Registered
47,193 Posts
Originally posted by 64 CRAWLING+Feb 14 2010, 08:32 PM~16613158-->
so have you tryed this?? what is all needed? cuz theres a shit load of g bodys down here in the yards i want to try it, do the ss gbodys got the same as the normals 1s? or they all just the same
[/b]
the 605 boxes usually say 605 on it....you just need a manual steering center link. not a power steering center link,

<!--QuoteBegin-Fine59Bel
@Feb 15 2010, 07:07 AM~16616460
Ive been checking out a buncha kits. theres one on Ebay for like $400, DONT BUY IT. I emailed someone who bought it and he said the kit was shit, and he needed to drop way more money into it afterwards. Ecklers has a nice kit for around $750ish. Truck and Car shop has a kit for $500. I thinkin about gettin that one but i've bought shit from Truck and Car shop before and the quality left alot to be desired
the kit i have is eklers. and it came with everything need expect power steering fluid and belts. its a good kit i have no complaints. the only thing i would upgrade to is the steering coupler, i think its called borgeson couple. it replaces the rag joint. on my car (348) it is a VERY tight fit and the rag joint was rubbing on the power steering pump bracket. it was BARELY rubbing, u could barely feel it in the steering wheel, but its not supposed to rub you could use spacers (washers) when bolting the pump brackets in, but that still isnt right. so i got that coupler and works great and has no clearance issues....

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Originally posted by lone star@Feb 15 2010, 11:24 AM~16617156

the kit i have is eklers. and it came with everything need expect power steering fluid and belts.  its a good kit i have no complaints. the only thing i would upgrade to is the steering coupler, i think its called borgeson couple. it replaces the rag joint.  on my car (348) it is a VERY tight fit and the rag joint was rubbing on the power steering pump bracket. it was BARELY rubbing, u could barely feel it in the steering wheel, but its not supposed to rub you could use spacers (washers) when bolting the pump brackets in, but that still isnt right. so i got that coupler and works great and has no clearance issues....
hm, I like the look of their coupler over some other ones I seen. I seen a rag joint adapter on ebay for like $70 but it just looks like my OG rag joint. I will not cut my steering shaft so I will need to buy a new one.

I have a 283 so I shouldnt have any clearance issues? Also, I have an aluminum radiator... will I have clearance issues with that? I sure hope not.... :eek:hno:

·
Registered
47,193 Posts
Originally posted by Fine59Bel@Feb 15 2010, 10:00 AM~16617410
hm, I like the look of their coupler over some other ones I seen. I seen a rag joint adapter on ebay for like $70 but it just looks like my OG rag joint. I will not cut my steering shaft so I will need to buy a new one.

I have a 283 so I shouldnt have any clearance issues? Also, I have an aluminum radiator... will I have clearance issues with that? I sure hope not.... :eek:hno:
small block conversion is easier i would assume. the radiator should be fine?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Originally posted by lone star@Feb 15 2010, 12:34 PM~16617641
small block conversion is easier i would assume. the radiator should be fine?
Gotcha. And as far as the radiator, my stock non-power box is already kinda close, just dont want any interference. Do you recommend the Ecklers kit? Or should I just piece one together?

·
Registered
47,193 Posts
Originally posted by Fine59Bel@Feb 15 2010, 12:33 PM~16618677
Gotcha. And as far as the radiator, my stock non-power box is already kinda close, just dont want any interference.  Do you recommend the Ecklers kit? Or should I just piece one together?
id recommend the elckers kit. i think they also have a tech support hotline? if u piece together something and it doesnt fit right youll be stuck with what u got.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Originally posted by lone star@Feb 15 2010, 03:19 PM~16619005
id recommend the elckers kit. i think they also have a tech support hotline?  if u piece together something and it doesnt fit right youll be stuck with what u got.
yah I hear ya. Not 100% sure what I'm gona do, they just seem a bit more expensive than anywhere else and they dont have free shipping! If Im dropping like more than $300 somewhere they better be givin me some sort of deals

1 - 15 of 15 Posts