LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new here but not to models.

I loved lowriders and because of them, i have grown to love the entire impala lineup from 58 to 67+

I have decided recently to attempt a lowrider build, and was going to share my progress here.

I plan on doing a multi-color scheme, main colors being inca gold, rootbeer, and fiery orange from the testor's one-shot line. This will be for the basic colors. I will attempt to do patterns and striping/masking and will likely be seeking advice for that part of the build.

I hope you enjoy.

basic stance i'm going with:

base coat of the inca gold.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Looks good man! And I'm with ya, I just started getting a little into lowriders, and the first one I jumped into was a 61 imp

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright i did all the main masking and painting. got to touch up some spots, but in the end, it should look nice.

i decided to go with a cream colored insert for the sides which would normally be white. i also have one other color i plan on doing over the top of it all and maybe try to figure out some way to integrate a pattern into it.

fiery red one-shot (looks copper/bronze over the gold)

masked and rootbeer top coat.

somebody stole my camera and took my pic without me knowing, as i was taking the mask off.

glaring at the camera guy.

more updates as i progress.

and mask removed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
some more stuff done. put some gauze on the car, taped it solid, and purposely sprayed one-shot mythical maroon heavier in some spots and lighter in others. then i sprayed the inserts white. Now i just have to just let everything cure and the body is done with the exception of clear, polish, and foil.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Hey bro, nice work on the imp! I def dig the pattern work!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
alright, here's some progress photos. some of the pics are fuzzy, but the one of the close-up shows the multi-color pearl flakes. i got the body curing in the dehydrator now, and when it cures i'll move on to more coats of clear until i either run out or i think it's enough to feel safe about wet sanding it.

enough blabbing, here's the pics.
started the chassis

fuzzy picture of top half of engine, painted one-shot inca gold, and valve covers, carb, edelbrock air cleaner and oil pan alclad chrome

parts laying out. firewall painted, and dash painted the base gold color.

lower a-arms alclad chrome.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
and for the paint, in this really fuzzy shot you can see the pearl flake. under direct sunlight it's much more smooth and beautiful.

i got a couple coats of clear on, and i was dumb. i was sooooo into the model that i forgot to turn on my ventilation unit (read: box fan)

once i feel comfortable enough with the amount of clear, i will start the wet sanding and polishing to get the "hopefully mirror like finish."

enjoy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts