LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I havea buddy that has a 62 Impala that has a hacked juice setup on it and we are going to convert it to an air setup. I do have a few questions about the car itself, as well as some different suspension questions. Ill ask that in just a minute.

FIrst off, when I say we, I mean there is a crew of guys working on this with him. The owner of the car "Shane" knows about what he wants, but Im not real sure he could do all of it on his own as far as the work. There is "Dirty" who works at a custom shop part time doing more minitruck stuff, but has autobody background and been playing with cars since he was knee hgh to a grasshopper. I "Killa" have been working on cars since I was 12ish, been doing something from drawing to going to the shop with my dad since I can remember, more than likely before that. Me and Dirty are brothers, and we can build some wicked shit. I am working on a rockcrawler project now, and he has finished up a minitruck project not too long ago and has bought another car and making hte plans to build the hell out of it. We also have John, who is an electrical guru, wiring is no problem with this guy. THere are a few other guys, some of them have a few good things to add, some can go and buy the beer while we are working.

Now that you have some background of the crew the "Allstars" :biggrin:, here are a few questions:

In my very limited search, I have found a few guys that make some drop spindles and other drop stuff. THe springs dont matter to us none, but the spindles do. I have heard of guys (in heresay) using S10 stuff, like the control arms and spindles, but dont know if that is true. If that is true, then that would also be a quick and easy upgrade to disc brakes using off the shelf parts. Is this possible? It is very intriguing. The car needs new front suspension parts, the PO did a nice hack job on the install, another reason this appeals to us.

The rear does not look to be too hard to swap over from the juice to the air stuff.

What were the motor options in this car? Im an old Ford guy so Im not real sure what was used when, but I know the 350 is as old as the Chevrolet Motor Company :biggrin:. I read somewhere there was a 283 option. The motor is going to get a freshening, maybe even a scoash of go fast parts and its good to know what motor could be sitting there. It is a V8. (asking this makes me feel so dumb :biggrin:)

For those of you who have laid out an old Impala, what are some things to look out for? We are going to replace all the stuff up front as far as rubber and joints, so anything else would be nice to keep in the back of our mind so its not a surprise when we come across it.

Here is something similar to the look we are after, just lower:

A real clean car that can drag and turn heads. His car is a hardtop though.

Thanks guys!

·
THE DARKSIDE
1,720 Posts
SOME OF THE ENGINE OPTION THIS CARS CAME WITH WAS THE 283, 327, & 409. NOW THE 283, 327 350 AND 400 DO SHARE THE SAME SIZE BLOCK STRUCTURE SO ANY OF THEM OPTIONS WOULD WORK FINE. OR EVEN THE 409 427 454 OR IF MONEY AINT A THANG THE 572. MAKE YOUR PICK ANY WILL FIT WITHOUT A PROBLEM. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
depends what kinda air ride set up you wanna run...I Own a 62 went with all air ride tech control arms and the rear set up cant be happier either...my car had a hacked up juice set up when i got it too...

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
i hate working on cars with more than one person. shits always gettin lost and people gettin in the way, or arguments about how something should be done. :angry:

·
Registered
10,194 Posts
Not a 62, but I went with air and I am very pleased! I also have a juiced hopper in the garage right next to it though. Best of both worlds! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Nice lookin car purple

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
damn sorry its soo damn big ITs on air thought....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts