LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 1962 Chevy SS Impala convertible built by myself, and "modelsIVlife".

Our goal was to team up, and build a car that was show-quality, and attend shows on either side of the country with it. (which we did)

I live in Indiana...and he is in California. So we had to ship the car across country several times to complete the build and also to attend the different shows.

modelsIVlife was on paint duty, so first thing I did was ship him the body and all the parts that needed to be color matched(chassis, engine block, etc..etc) he then shipped back the painted parts that i needed to get started. In the meantime he got to work on detailing the body.

Here are the painted parts that i got back.

Before i could begin, i needed some chrome. So i racked up some parts, and sent them out.

I went ahead and chromed the trunk pan at this point...

Also chromed the upper a-arms (they are molded to the chassis pan) If you look close you can see i drilled them out for the custom hydraulic cylinders that i made later on.\

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With the chrome out at the chrome shop. I could start on the interior.

First thing I did was mix up some custom carpet. I used two different blues, and a little bit of white (for the white threads that are in the older carpet)

Here is the dash after foiling and some painted details.

Flocking was applied, came out matching the paint perfect

By this time, the chrome had come back from the shop (week and half turn around time!!!!)

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rims and tires were donated by "Mr. Biggs". These were before they were released by pegasus. (we felt pretty special :biggrin: lol)

Here is the frontend layed out ready to be assembled. I scratchbuilt the 8" cylinders and springs.

And here it is assembled

The rearend was assembled using similar cylinders only i made them 12"

And with that, we had our rolling chassis!

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the chassis finished, i moved on to complete the interior work i started earlier.

Here are the finished front seats.

Seats and carpet could now be checked off the list!

The door panels were fun to do, and they came out just as nice...

Starting to come together now

Of course you can't control the hydraulics without switches...so i scratchbuilt a switch panel with four switches

A billet steering column with a shifter would replace the factory floor shifter

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is where my work ended. I took the finished chassis and interior and shipped it off to California for final assembly(steering wheel got lost somewhere, but it got taken care of in california)

I don't have any buildup pics from the engine and body, but the completed pictures can speak for themselves.

These were taken at the first show, modelfest 05 i think. The car was still missing a few final details, but it still took a first place.

·
Registered
901 Posts
:0 SICK man! I think thats cool of how you 2 guys could get together to build a killer ride. I was wondering, who did you go through to get your parts plated? How much was it? Thanks, keep up the mean work......

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by mista_gonzo@Aug 23 2005, 10:24 PM~3679612
:0 SICK man! I think thats cool of how you 2 guys could get together to build a killer ride. I was wondering, who did you go through to get your parts plated? How much was it? Thanks, keep up the mean work......
Thanks man..everyone will have their chance to own this car for themselves. After this show season we will be auctioning if off.

I got a chrome plater that i send my parts too...check out http://www.chrometechusa.com It's not who i use..but you can get your parts plated there.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
is the suspension positionable?

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Models IV Life@Aug 24 2005, 03:22 PM~3683923
HAHA NICE THREAD PARTNER!!!! :biggrin:
It hasn't been posted here yet..so i figured what the hell :biggrin:

btw, the car now lives at the post office until further notice :angry:

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Aug 24 2005, 01:35 PM~3684450
It hasn't been posted here yet..so i figured what the hell :biggrin:

btw, the car now lives at the post office until further notice :angry:
ok cool. pm me and tell me what they said.

·
Registered
51,637 Posts
realy nice work :cool:

·
Registered
16,787 Posts
I'M DIGGING THE DUECE!!!! NICE BUILD!!

1 - 20 of 114 Posts