LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody has seem them I know it. BUT how do you fix them for good?
What do I weld?? What do I weld it too?? HELP Thanks Toby :uh:

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
rotten, saging body mounts, bad frame. you need to find out what gave way to cause the extra strain on the body. fix that, then weld up the cracks.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
I've seen that on alot of cars that were beat on. I've never looked good enough before, but maybe if you remove the back 1/4 glass and all that shit, you can get up in there good enough to weld a plate up there to reinforce the area??

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Oct 12 2003, 01:16 PM
I've seen that on alot of cars that were beat on. I've never looked good enough before, but maybe if you remove the back 1/4 glass and all that shit, you can get up in there good enough to weld a plate up there to reinforce the area??
you need to fix the problem first that caused the stress to cause the crack. IE bodymounts in rear wheel area gone bad. there are 4 in that area and 2 by the bumper. you fix those, put new rubber body mounts in and then attemp to fix the cracks. I would take a piece of 19ga sheetmetal and for mit to fit the contour of the areaa thats cracked. Make it about 1-1.5" wider then each side of the crack. Now on either side of the crack drill 3, 5/16" holes about 1/2" from the crack, place the piece you formed under the crack and clamp it of get someone trusting to hole it hight so that all the holes are covered. spotweld up all the holes, then weld up the crack. this will reinforce the cracked area and gives you a better, srtronger platform to weld up the crack than just buttwelding it.

·
Registered
19,958 Posts
the body cracks there do to the heavy door saggin and when it gets harder to shut people start slamming them and since there is no post there the body gives at that point it has nothing to do with rear body mounts first fix your door hinges then make sure the door is alligned and stop slamming it LOL then i would grind the metal down weld it up or have a good body guy do it since it can warp if u do it wrong and then i would fiberglass it from under neath you will most likey have to pull the qtr window out to get enough room to work in there

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by BIGTONY@Oct 13 2003, 06:50 AM
the body cracks there do to the heavy door saggin and when it gets harder to shut people start slamming them and since there is no post there the body gives at that point it has nothing to do with rear body mounts first fix your door hinges then make sure the door is alligned and stop slamming it LOL then i would grind the metal down weld it up or have a good body guy do it since it can warp if u do it wrong and then i would fiberglass it from under neath you will most likey have to pull the qtr window out to get enough room to work in there
I disagree, do what I said, I am a bodyman!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts