LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why do I have so many problems with this? I have one of the AApco carrier bearings (after replacing 3 factory type)and it just came loose again. It vibrates the bolts out and this time it acutally pulled the threads out of the support. I have to tap it now. Any ideas of why this is happening? I also dont drive with the ass up much higher than factory.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
** Do you have a slip unit installed ? The unit might be trying to pull away from the center ... Otherwise the drive shaft might be unbalanced .....I have never had the problem after I installed a center support from inland empire... Before it used to "egg" the carrier bearing out when I would raise my car ........

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
You need to shorten the driveshaft as well as a heavy-duty carrier bearing and the slip. When you raise it up the driveshart pushes forward causind problems if it's not shortened.

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Originally posted by yetti@Aug 24 2003, 03:29 PM
You need to shorten the driveshaft as well as a heavy-duty carrier bearing and the slip. When you raise it up the driveshart pushes forward causind problems if it's not shortened.
whats up man how you been? Hey whats up Matt?

Call Brent at real customs 812-542-0377 he has a solid steel center support thats virtually unbreakable.

You still need that frame Matt?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Originally posted by impalapartz+Aug 24 2003, 02:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (impalapartz @ Aug 24 2003, 02:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--yetti@Aug 24 2003, 03:29 PM
You need to shorten the driveshaft as well as a heavy-duty carrier bearing and the slip.  When you raise it up the driveshart pushes forward causind problems if it's not shortened.
whats up man how you been? Hey whats up Matt?

Call Brent at real customs 812-542-0377 he has a solid steel center support thats virtually unbreakable.

You still need that frame Matt?[/b][/quote]
Yeah, I have one of those bearings from Brent and they are nice.

Driveshaft problems suck. I have a slip yoke back half, and it's still not enough. I am going to cut 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the other end of the shaft so that I can get a little bit more of the shaft towards the front of the car and mount the bearing closer to the front of the car.

Also, since the bearings are solid, naturally, more vibration is going to get transferred to the frame. I had problems with the solid bearing vibrating loose as well, to the point of always keeping a socket with me to check it before I roll. :angry:

Until I started using the red lock tite.

Another thing you can do is tap out the bolt holes a little bigger and switch to a fine threaded grade 8 bolt to help keep the bolt from vibrating out.

hth,

chris

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the AAPCO solid aircraft carrier bearing and the slip yoke. I have heard that I could take a peice of the sidewall of the tire and put it between the bearing and the frame to eliminate vibrations.
As far a shortening the drive shaft how much should it be shortened and were at?

Yes James I am still wanting a frame. Do you have one?

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Originally posted by layinlowusosixfo@Aug 25 2003, 01:40 PM
I have the AAPCO solid aircraft carrier bearing and the slip yoke.  I have heard that I could take a peice of the sidewall of the tire and put it between the bearing and the frame to eliminate vibrations.  
As far a shortening the drive shaft how much should it be shortened and were at?

Yes James I am still wanting a frame.  Do you have one?
Matt as far as putting a piece of a tire in there anything is worth a try. I can probably have your frame for you next week but dont have a way to transport it right now. if you have a way to get it send me a pm. thanks, James

Last edited by impalapartz at Aug 25 2003, 02:19 PM

·
Registered
605 Posts
Mount up your drive shaft so that the slip yoke end is attached to the rear end.

Then Lay on the ground and start tapping the switch to lift the ass.

If your slip yoke "bottoms out" before you are locked, then the shaft is too long. As the ass lifts, the wheels pull forward shortening the shaft.

That's the problem I have. That's the reason I need to slide the carrier bearing mount forward a little, but to do this, I need to cut off a little bit of the FEMALE splined end that slips into the tranny.

This will keep me from having to shorten the driveshaft itself.

Can't help you on the vibration fix. If you're constantly having to tighten the bearing, then you may have a bend in the shaft that's causing the vibration.

chris

·
Registered
605 Posts
Let us know how it goes. I am in the middle of the same thing right now.

I can't drive at highway speeds at all because of the vibration.

Slow and low is fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts