LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im tryin to get my car inspected and insured but the other day when i was takin it to the mechanics to get it inspected my car dies while driving a few kms or miles. The mechanic says he hasnt noticed anything but this is the third time its happend to me. after it quits out on me too i wont be able to start it again unless i wait 30 min or so. if anyone has had this problem or knows whats wrong please help me out! engine is a 283
thanks

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
This might sound stupid...If there is nothing wrong with the engine-then it might be the wireing harness on the firewall.I had that same shit happen to me in my 64 years ago.might be a loose or short in the wires... Thats what it turned out to be on mine-If the car loses power then gets it back.. Just my 2 cents... :biggrin:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmmm ill have to check that out man thanks. the car does seem to lose power just before it dies. ill be goin around 50mph then itll start dieing and come back then totally die out and ill have to coast it to the side haha. but yea thanks. if anyone else has any opinions let me know

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
does it crank and starts right away after it turns off or do you wait to cool down..

cranks and starts right away fuel line cracked and sippin air...possible

starts after it cools ignition module is starting to go ... replace
(if it is hei distributor)

if its points replace coil and points possible carbon on them but fuck it drop hei in it

hit me up

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
LOWER THE FLOAT LEVEL.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the input. the cars in ths shop right now and i told the mechanics to take a look at it and figure it out. if it still has this problem ill get my buddy to try and check the things you guys mentioned. Im not really good with cars so i cant do any of this myself. thanks again and ill let u know how everything goes

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Originally posted by kingofdasip@Sep 17 2007, 11:33 PM~8811462
whats the vapor lock?
fuel line too close to eaxust manifold and fuel is turning to vapor ... and since it is not a liquid the fuel pump cannot pull the vapor hence ...vapor lock ..

make sure it is not near the eaxust manifold ...also check collector gaskets ( i recommend the aluminuim percy ones if you are using paper and changing them out like i used to do

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Best way to tell if it's vappor lock is when it dies to crack open the fuel line and then put it back together. If it starts up, that's your problem. I had the same problem on my 62 Corvette. It will happen if you have a lot of rubber hosing in the fuel line. Use the factory metal type of line. If it runs close to anything hot, wrap a piece of hose over the metal line to insulate it.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
i had a similar problem on my 79 mt exsaust was to close to the starter.. would not start after about 1 hour of riding.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the advice. im gonna check out all these problems u guys had and fix it up on my car so i dont get them

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Originally posted by kingofdasip@Sep 18 2007, 11:22 PM~8819309
thanks for all the advice. im gonna check out all these problems u guys had and fix it up on my car so i dont get them
cool we'll send you a bill in the mail :biggrin:

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Originally posted by kingofdasip@Sep 20 2007, 11:46 PM~8835906
haha for sure man
:biggrin: figure it out or what ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
checked thed firewall and everything and finally found it was coming from gas tank. The mechanics said it was full of shit and all the debris wud get into the fuel line and plug it up and make the car quit. They said i need a new tank but i dont even think its rusted?? does this sound right to you? would this cause the car to stall out?

·
do it in a datsun!!
14,491 Posts
Originally posted by kingofdasip@Sep 26 2007, 04:11 PM~8874938
checked thed firewall and everything and finally found it was coming from gas tank. The mechanics said it was full of shit and all the debris wud get into the fuel line and plug it up and make the car quit. They said i need a new tank but i dont even think its rusted?? does this sound right to you? would this cause the car to stall out?
hows the fuel filter look?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts