LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i finally got around to swapping out the hood hinges on my 64. i took the hood off, removed and replaced the hinges, added the springs, and got the hood back on. but now the hood wont line up because the right hinge wont close all the way! the left hinge is smooth, but the right is stiff. these are new hinges. is this common?? what can i do?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
take a few drops of tri-flow lubricant to the pins on the hinges. also make sure they arent bindng. double check your alignment as well. non oem hinges can be different than the stockers

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by racerboy@Jan 19 2010, 03:31 PM~16341321
take a few drops of tri-flow lubricant to the pins on the hinges. also make sure they arent bindng. double check your alignment as well. non oem hinges can be different than the stockers
thanks for the info! im sure the pins could use some lube.. what do u mean by making sure the hinges arent binding???

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
sometimes hinges dont move through their entire range of movement smoothly. take the springs off, and make sure they do. its okay for them to be a bit stiff, as the weight of the hood and spring pressure correct for that.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by racerboy@Jan 20 2010, 03:52 PM~16353766
sometimes hinges dont move through their entire range of movement smoothly. take the springs off, and make sure they do. its okay for them to be a bit stiff, as the weight of the hood and spring pressure correct for that.
ohhh ok. yeah the right side hinge was like that, didnt move smoothly. is there a way to correct that or should i return it?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Dude, it takes a long time to get body panels to line up after removing them, especially when you have all the adjustments that those hinges have. Take your time, loosen bolts, move the front/rear of the hinge a bit until you get it right. You'll mess up your paint if you aren't careful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My experience with hood hinges on my 1964 Impala SS is to stick with the originals which would need to be rebuilt by now. There's a guy out of VA, his name is Willie that does good work and will install new springs and hood hinge rivets. The key is to have all your rivets replaced, there most likely worn out by now and won't keep an original steel hood up. The problem with repops is that the rivets are half the size of the originals. If you have a repop hood or a fiberglass hood you might be alright. I just got mine back from VA and he powdercoated them, they work and look SWEET!!:biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts