LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
64 Chevy Level
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you prefer and why? I've been struggling with this thought for a while, I think I prefer the SS and its straight trim rather the regular Impala with its wrap around trim. I also like bucket seats and the center console better. I have a friend up in LA who is the exact opposite and likes the non SS's better and actually prefers the wrap around trim. So... What about you?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
When you buy a new phone, a new flat screen TV or a new car, you tend to want the one with more options. I tend to do the same when searching for a classic car.

I bought a 67 Camaro a few years back, I had to have an RS/SS. When I bought my 62, I had to make sure it was an SS. I am now looking for a nice 50-54 Chevy Bomb...its going to have to be a HardTop. No coupe/sedan (post cars) for me.

On the other hand, Classic cars are becoming harder and harder to find by the minutes so some would say any classic would do. An SS will always commend higher prices than non SS though

Just my $.02

·
Candies, flakes & pearls!
15,502 Posts
The standard 64 coupe has always been the more popular model here in L.A. through the years in my view. The bench seats, long, wrap-around side moldings (which look great when patterned inside of) make the car more suitible for low riding and driving slow.

The SS models are more sporty and have features found in more of the performance side of things. Traditionally, lowriding has not been about performance.

This is just my own view, no offense to the SS owners.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The standard 64 coupe has always been the more popular model here in L.A. through the years in my view. The bench seats, long, wrap-around side moldings (which look great when patterned inside of) make the car more suitible for low riding and driving slow.

The SS models are more sporty and have features found in more of the performance side of things. Traditionally, lowriding has not been about performance.

This is just my own view, no offense to the SS owners.
the truth,:thumbsup:

if i had the choice it would be a non SS, cuz of the bench n column shifting. i like to put my right arm out n rest on the bench n just dip. no need to go fast or anything when you lowriding. but at the same time if you ended up with an SS, aint nutin wrong wit that either!

·
Premium Member
58,442 Posts
to me non SS 64 is the hot ticket. i dont like SS side trim at all, it looks too plain. wrap around trim is more luxurious besides, SS dont mean shit once you make it a lowrider anyways plus you can get way more head from ya girl with a bench seat.no offense if u have an SS, i will roll either i just prefer a non SS 64 :biggrin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Which do you prefer and why? I've been struggling with this thought for a while, I think I prefer the SS and its straight trim rather the regular Impala with its wrap around trim. I also like bucket seats and the center console better. I have a friend up in LA who is the exact opposite and likes the non SS's Car accessories better and actually prefers the wrap around trim. So... What about you?
SS just because it's higher.

·
64 Chevy Level
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow interesting, it seems the standard non SS Coupe is winning in terms of opinion. Thanks for all of the responses. I'm still undecided, I even thought of turning my Coupe into an SS if I can't sell it due to the fact that I like the trim better.

·
El ocho
6,590 Posts
to me non SS 64 is the hot ticket. i dont like SS side trim at all, it looks too plain. wrap around trim is more luxurious besides, SS dont mean shit once you make it a lowrider anyways plus you can get way more head from ya girl with a bench seat.no offense if u have an SS, i will roll either i just prefer a non SS 64 :biggrin:
Couldn't have said it better. Can't beat that bench seat :naughty: :yes:

·
DON"T STOP NOW
393 Posts
I like the SS cause it looks so clean laid out.. I like the console shifter and the straight line trim that makes that body look loooooooooong.. nothing wrong with a base model impala.. but the SS to me always seemed tougher.. a lil more gangster with the bucket seats.. other than that to me they are the same car..

·
46st & WESTERN AVE
2,489 Posts
"SS" :thumbsup: THAT'S THE ONE FOR ME

·
Registered
189 Posts
It depends on what your intentions are for the car.

If the plans are to mod the shit out of it (Fully Custom, LoW RoD) the non SS would do. You can always add the SS trim & accessories during your build.

As far doing slight mods like rims & beat, but keeping the overall appearance of the car as close to original as possible, the SS would be the preffered choice. Plus the rarity & investment value is there.

·
64 Chevy Level
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
See that's what I'm talking about, while both of those 64's look nice I prefer the SS. There's just something about that straight trim that I like, not to mention the upside down u trim on the trunk is different as well.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts