LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restoring a 64 Impala and I am having trouble with the head lights staying on once the battery is connected. I have replaced everything with new parts from battery, cables, light switch, horn relay, regulator, head lights, but factory harness and traced every wire and no cutts or splices in harness. Is the main wire from battery supply suppose to go to the fuse box? Or to the horn relay? Mine goes to the horn relay. Thank's
Mr: 5150 64

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yes, the wire from the batter goes directly to the horn relay.

Sounds like a weird problem. Here are some questions that might flush out some clues:

What happens when the headlights won't stay on? Do they all go out suddenly? or dim then go out?
Does this happen with the engine running or just off of battery power?
Felt around for any warm wires while the headlights are on?
Tried turning on the hi beams to see if the lights go out faster?

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
this is what i would do splice the front wiring harness, find out what wire stays lit with power and splice it with a toggle switch run 2 wires back to you dash throw the fire wall, bam end of issue

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Dcarins,
The lights never go off.
The lights stay on once the battery is connected.
Yes, the fuse gets really hot! Wires seam to be fine NOt hot.
High beam's don't even go ON at all and once I press the high beams the low beams don't do anything but stay on.

Hi Joey Cutlass,
Thank's I think I'm over it and I will do just that.
I appreciate you both taking some interest and I'm greatful for your information.
Mr: 5150 64

·
Registered
389 Posts
Oh... I misunderstood, I thought the trouble was the light NOT staying on :D

Hot fuse does not sound good. Have you tried pulling the connector off of the headlight switch? That should turn the lights off. If not, there is something wrong in the wiring area. If the lights do go out when the switch is unplugged, then I would think the switch is bad (I realize you replaced it, but could be a bad or incorrect part).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Dcairns,
Yes, they stay on once I connect the battery cable. I can only get them to turn off if I unplug them from the bulb or remove the fuse. But all the other lights work properly. Weird!!! I have bought two light switches to see if it was a faulty new switch and the same result. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Automotive exterior
I have replaced everything to new!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well, you have not replaced the wiring harness yet. If it is the original harness, it is not impossible the insulation may have broken down an a short is causing the issue. This sort of thing means getting out your shop manual and digging through the wiring diagram and checking the wires. If it is a new harness, it could be defective. The same thing applies, you have to dig through it and see where the fault is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts