LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

64 Impala Wiring Issue

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  dcairns 
Yes, the wire from the batter goes directly to the horn relay.

Sounds like a weird problem. Here are some questions that might flush out some clues:

What happens when the headlights won't stay on? Do they all go out suddenly? or dim then go out?
Does this happen with the engine running or just off of battery power?
Felt around for any warm wires while the headlights are on?
Tried turning on the hi beams to see if the lights go out faster?

Oh... I misunderstood, I thought the trouble was the light NOT staying on :D

Hot fuse does not sound good. Have you tried pulling the connector off of the headlight switch? That should turn the lights off. If not, there is something wrong in the wiring area. If the lights do go out when the switch is unplugged, then I would think the switch is bad (I realize you replaced it, but could be a bad or incorrect part).

Well, you have not replaced the wiring harness yet. If it is the original harness, it is not impossible the insulation may have broken down an a short is causing the issue. This sort of thing means getting out your shop manual and digging through the wiring diagram and checking the wires. If it is a new harness, it could be defective. The same thing applies, you have to dig through it and see where the fault is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.