LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
64 impala wont hold a charge..altenator,battery,motor&body ground.regulator all good!

only thing i did different was use the lighter wire to power my stereo i was thinking on running a wire with a fuse to power it to see if that would change any thing..its not hooked up to the ignition so i shut it off manually..any sugestions?? thanks:(

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
first how do you know your alternater is good. have you tested it buy removing your possitive cable as the car is running or checking the center back for magnet. second take a flash light and look at every wire under the dash. some bare hot wire is touching ground or somethings staying on inspect the whole dash

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright..checked the altenator and brought it in for testing its all good..will check wires under dash.it does have a aftermarket guage cluster under the dash but dont see how that would run the battery down!!

·
Registered
16,068 Posts
alright..checked the altenator and brought it in for testing its all good..will check wires under dash.it does have a aftermarket guage cluster under the dash but dont see how that would run the battery down!!
Is the alternator charging the battery to over 14 volts when the engine is running? did you do a load test on the battery? If it's charging and the battery is good, then you have a parasitic draw. Could be a trunk light not going out, glove box light, aftermarket dash cluster staying on, and so on.....

·
Registered
178 Posts
you may have a bad diod in your alt,it will still charge your battery if you let it sit over night it will discharge your bat when you have a stereo system you need to use a higher amp alternator i had that problem in one of my cars years ago.

·
____
2,205 Posts
Real simple way to ck if you have draw is to disconnect your battery ground and touch the terminal to the battery post, if you get a big spark you have some type draw in other words something is staying on.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Real simple way to ck if you have draw is to disconnect your battery ground and touch the terminal to the battery post, if you get a big spark you have some type draw in other words something is staying on.
Gonna try this out tomorrow..I've been out of town and really busy..

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I checked the glove box and trunk. Light both are going off..I charged the battery and disconnected it so ill see if it fires up in the morning..I also noticed when checking the wires on my altenator that my battery ground was looser then a 5 doller whore..hope that's the problem..

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hooked the battery back up and it fired up..left it over night again and it was dead..think iam gonna buy a new altenator..any suggestions on what i should get as far as amps?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But would it matter if I shut off manually?so should I keep the red wire where its @ and hook the orange wire to the ignition or not even use it..

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You should have red yellow and Orange.red to switched 12v yellow constant 12v .I believe Orange is a dimmer wire?which if is you don't hook it up In the 64
so what is the constant(yellow wire) used for?the power source?and the red goes to the ignition?..gonna try this right when i get home..

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
yellow wire is used for the memory of ur settings radio stations ect.. thats why it goes to constant 12volts...

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok..ill unhook the yellow wire.will hooking the red up to the ignition give enough juice to run the deck?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.