LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious if anyone knew with 100% certainty whether or not the 4 piston calipers that came on late 60s impalas/caprices (65-70) used the same spindles as the regular single piston caliper?

In other words, if I have a single piston caliper spindle can I just buy the 4 piston calipers and bolt them on? I'd have to say no based on my other knowledge, but I wanted to hear it from someone who knows for sure. They run about $122 a piece at the parts stores for the 4 piston calipers but to me it'd be worth it.


here's what I'm looking at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...B%3AWN%3AMT%3A1
 
O

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Aug 18 2005, 08:54 AM~3649596
I was just curious if anyone knew with 100% certainty whether or not the 4 piston calipers that came on late 60s impalas/caprices (65-70) used the same spindles as the regular single piston caliper?

In other words, if I have a single piston caliper spindle can I just buy the 4 piston calipers and bolt them on? I'd have to say no based on my other knowledge, but I wanted to hear it from someone who knows for sure. They run about $122 a piece at the parts stores for the 4 piston calipers but to me it'd be worth it.
here's what I'm looking at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...B%3AWN%3AMT%3A1

they use a different spindle.

plus the master cylinder and booster is different.



you are better off buying an after market brake conversion kit, some of them use g-body calipers and some use late chevelle calipers, either way wear parts are cheaper and the brakes work better. The original brakes you are asking about dont work much better than drums.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I figured they were different.

The 4 piston calipers must not be too bad, the camaro and chevelle guys of those years search out for them to swap their single piston over :dunno:

The only problem I seen is that they tend to leak and survive better when re-sleeved but as far as stopping performance....the hotrod guys swear by them. Not to mention you can replace them with aftermarket Wilwood or whoever calipers and then the problems are solved. You can't honestly say a stock G body single piston caliper can stop better then a 4 piston caliper? :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,654 Posts
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Aug 18 2005, 09:34 AM~3650446
Thanks, I figured they were different.

The 4 piston calipers must not be too bad, the camaro and chevelle guys of those years search out for them to swap their single piston over :dunno:

The only problem I seen is that they tend to leak and survive better when re-sleeved but as far as stopping performance....the hotrod guys swear by them. Not to mention you can replace them with aftermarket Wilwood or whoever calipers and then the problems are solved. You can't honestly say a stock G body single piston caliper can stop better then a 4 piston caliper? :dunno:
One draw back to the Dual Piston shit is that they big as Fnck and you might run into some trouble if you running wires on them....from what i remember
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by 206ness@Aug 18 2005, 11:51 AM~3650519
One draw back to the Dual Piston shit is that they big as Fnck and you might run into some trouble if you running wires on them....from what i remember
yeah i thought about that, I'd like to see someone post up here what they are running rim size wise with the 4 piston calipers
 
O

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Aug 18 2005, 12:34 PM~3650446
You can't honestly say a stock G body single piston caliper can stop better then a 4 piston caliper? :dunno:

Yes, G-Body brakes are better than most people might think. They provide more stopping power than any 60's 4 piston caliper.

Lets think about it, some g-bodys are cruising the freeways on 13's with 12 batteries in the trunk, that is far more weight than an Impala. G-bodies arent light cars.

Plus most of the cars that came factory with the 4 piston calipers had 15"wheels. Now with all that said, Stainless Steel Brake Corp makes a bad ass billet replacement caliper that bolts exactly the same as the g-body caliper. I sell the brackets to mount the g-body caliper to the stock Impala spindle, if you use that and buy the G-Body replacement caliper from SSBC you will have the strongest combo there is without having to shave the calipers or use spacers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,654 Posts
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Aug 18 2005, 09:56 AM~3650544
yeah i thought about that, I'd like to see someone post up here what they are running rim size wise with the 4 piston calipers
I know for a fact that 13's are out the question. As for 14's I'm not sure either...I make a phone call to one my partna's and see cause I sold him a set of 13's for his 67 rag he up-graded and he ended up back with the drums on the front.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top