LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
quote=selfmade213,Dec 12 2008, 05:04 PM~12414364]ok im puttin hydros on my 66 impala 2 pumps 8's in the front 12's in the back wut all needs done to get a higher lift for the back without to much mods

thanks for any replys
[/quote]

well basically 12's are probably your closest size cylinder next to a 10 that youll use without mods. once u reach a certain height, you have pinion angle problems... if u want to get a lil more height with the 12's just run a little more coil. unless you want to lay as low as possible then youd need more cylinder...such as my regal sits stock height in the rear so im already about 12 inches off the ground from the bumper... i have 1.5 to 2 turns cut off a stack of 2 ton coils and when i lock up from ground to bumper on my 14's i have a 37 inch lock up. hope that info helps you out

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by selfmade213@Dec 12 2008, 05:15 PM~12414461
thanks for the info

1 more question i heard on the 8's if u run a 10 inch casing it will make the front a lil faster cause it keeps fluid still in the cylinder is this right

anythings possible. unless some one can actually verify that is makes it faster... but even when u dump the car theres still fluid inside the lines. its never empty. so its just as fast im my opinion.

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
Originally posted by selfmade213@Dec 12 2008, 05:15 PM~12414461
thanks for the info

1 more question i heard on the 8's if u run a 10 inch casing it will make the front a lil faster cause it keeps fluid still in the cylinder is this right

that's bullshit about the cilinders

you have two major things on those cars

1. being the front lower a arms you need to take the bolt out and weld some washers in the frame so the lower arm's don't pull out when you lock it up

2. there is very little you can do on the back to get more inch's
i'm not sure why he is showing you a g body they are nothin alike
but, any way you have to be very carful of the rear section of them
frames they are very weak you can extend your pan hard bar about a
half of an inch and you'll get a little lock up ...

does your's have two top bars or just one ????

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by FULLYCLOWNIN@Dec 12 2008, 08:42 PM~12416273
that's bullshit about the cilinders

you have two major things on those cars

1. being the front lower a arms you need to take the bolt out and weld some washers in the frame so the lower arm's don't pull out when you lock it up 

2. there is very little you can do on the back to get more inch's
i'm not sure why he is showing you a g body they are nothin alike
but, any way you have to be very carful of the rear section of them
frames they are very weak you can extend your pan hard bar about a
half of an inch and you'll get a little lock up ...

does your's have two top bars or just one ????

i never said they were a like. i was merely pointing out that if u have more coil in the rear of the car it will give u more lift. just as i stated... that way he can decide on if he wants to run a smaller amount of coil and sit lower or run a lil more coil and sit stock height. his choice. i even highlighted it for you so theres no confusion since you missed it the first time

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
Originally posted by KINGFISH_CUSTOMS@Dec 12 2008, 08:58 PM~12416364
i never said they were a like.  i was merely pointing out that if u have more coil in the rear of the car it will give u more lift.  just as i stated...  that way he can decide on if he wants to run a smaller amount of coil and sit lower or run a lil more coil and sit stock height.  his choice.  i even highlighted it for you so theres no confusion since you missed it the first time

i didn't miss it the first time a little common sense would
tell you that if you put more coil in it . it will sit higher :uh:

bottom line is you didn't have any advice for him
so instead of not replyin you had to say something to hear
your self talk right ;) ;) ;)

i guess i should have pointed that out the first :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
Originally posted by selfmade213@Dec 12 2008, 05:04 PM~12414364
ok im puttin hydros on my 66 impala 2 pumps 8's in the front 12's in the back wut all needs done to get a higher lift for the back without to much mods

thanks for any replys

on most all of these cars i do. i put pipe inside the rear
spring pocket. i use 6 inch pipe to the in side so if you use
1/4 inch pipe you would be lookin for a 6 1/2 inch pipe
it will fit tight , and this will keep your rear spring pocket from
from bendin just weld it in from the bottom . then do your arch's and you should be fine

but if you wantin to get all the lift out them 12's you will need 2 run
a small coil

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by FULLYCLOWNIN@Dec 12 2008, 09:54 PM~12416729
i didn't miss it the first time a little common sense would
tell you that if you put more coil in it . it will sit higher 
:uh:

bottom line is you didn't have any advice for him
so instead of not replyin you had to say something to hear
your self talk right  ;)  ;)  ;)

i guess i should have pointed that out the first  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

dude common sense think about it. if at zero use of my cylinder my car sits 15 1/2 inches off the ground. and my rear lock up is 37 inches. that if i cut my rear springs and the bumper was then 8 or 9 inches off the ground. my rear lock up would still be 37 inches. i dont think so... or better yet. run no coil in a car and raise it up then run a coil in the car and i guarantee you the lock up will either change or be the same lock up with less cylinder extension with room to extend providing the rear suspenion allows the travel

if ur saying that a little amount of coil in the rear gives you the same amount of lift (if cyinders are fully extended) in the rear as if u ran a full stack ur smoking crack

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by FULLYCLOWNIN@Dec 12 2008, 09:00 PM~12416793
on most all of these cars i do. i put pipe inside the rear
spring pocket. i use 6 inch pipe to the in side so if you use
1/4 inch pipe you would be lookin for a 6 1/2 inch pipe
it will fit tight , and this will keep your rear spring pocket from
from bendin just weld it in from the bottom . then do your arch's and you should be fine

but if you wantin to get all the lift out them 12's you will need 2 run
a small coil
do u have any pics of your spring pocket

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by KINGFISH_CUSTOMS@Dec 12 2008, 10:59 PM~12417996
dude common sense think about it.  if at zero use of my cylinder my car sits 15 1/2 inches off the ground. and my rear lock up is 37 inches.  that if i cut my rear springs and the bumper was then 8 or 9 inches off the ground. my rear lock up would still be 37 inches.  i dont think so... or better yet. run no coil in a car and raise it up then run a coil in the car and i guarantee you the lock up will either change or be the same lock up with less cylinder extension with room to extend providing the rear suspenion allows the travel

if ur saying that a little amount of coil in the rear gives you the same amount of lift (if cyinders are fully extended) in the rear as if u ran a full stack ur smoking crack
thanks for your info i get wut your saying about your lift there different cars so i kno that a g-body is completely different than the impala there cylinders is welded to the rearend unlike the impala

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
Originally posted by KINGFISH_CUSTOMS@Dec 12 2008, 11:59 PM~12417996
dude common sense think about it.  if at zero use of my cylinder my car sits 15 1/2 inches off the ground. and my rear lock up is 37 inches.  that if i cut my rear springs and the bumper was then 8 or 9 inches off the ground. my rear lock up would still be 37 inches.  i dont think so... or better yet. run no coil in a car and raise it up then run a coil in the car and i guarantee you the lock up will either change or be the same lock up with less cylinder extension with room to extend providing the rear suspenion allows the travel

I'M NOT WAISTIN MY TIME LIKE I SAID COMMON SENSE I AGREE WITH YA ....
BUT THAT HAS SHIT TO DO WITH WHAT HE'S ASKIN

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
Originally posted by selfmade213@Dec 13 2008, 10:07 AM~12419719
do u have any pics of your spring pocket

I DO BUT I JUST CHECKED MY PHOTOBUCET DOESN'T HAVE THE PICS YOU WANT
I'LL GET MY CAMERA FROM THE SHOP AND SHOOT YOU SOME PICS ON HERE

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by selfmade213@Dec 12 2008, 06:04 PM~12414364
ok im puttin hydros on my 66 impala 2 pumps 8's in the front 12's in the back wut all needs done to get a higher lift for the back without to much mods

thanks for any replys
I RUN 12'S IN MY 66. YOU MIGHT GET AWAY WITH A 14" WITH NO SPEAKERS IN THE BACK. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A LONGER LOCK UP. I WOULD GO WITH A BLACK MAGIC EXTENDABLES. THAT WAY YOU CAN RUN THE BASIC 10 OR 12" CYLINDER, BUT EXTEND MUCH HIGHER. WITH THAT, YOU MUST REALIZE THAT YOUR DRIVE TRAIN WILL NEED TO BE EXTENDED. SOME TYPE OF WISHBONE. AND GET RID OF THE PAN HARD BAR. YOUR CUPS IN THE REAR PERCH WILL NEED SOME RE-INFORCING AND YOU NEED TO BOX THE BACK AND RE-INFORCE THE SIDES. AND ALSO YOUR TRANS PAN BAR.

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
i had this frame off when i did this one but i have done a couple from the botom of the car . just pound it in just like i did from the top . but just leave the top of your frame together don't cut it out of coarse just make your pipe about 5 inch's long and put it in there

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
Originally posted by BIG DIRTY@Dec 13 2008, 09:00 PM~12423512
I RUN 12'S IN MY 66.  YOU MIGHT GET AWAY WITH A 14" WITH NO SPEAKERS IN THE BACK.  IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A LONGER LOCK UP.  I WOULD GO WITH A BLACK MAGIC EXTENDABLES.  THAT WAY YOU CAN RUN THE BASIC 10 OR 12" CYLINDER, BUT EXTEND MUCH HIGHER.  WITH THAT, YOU MUST REALIZE THAT YOUR DRIVE TRAIN WILL NEED TO BE EXTENDED.  SOME TYPE OF WISHBONE. AND GET RID OF THE PAN HARD BAR.  YOUR CUPS IN THE REAR PERCH WILL NEED SOME RE-INFORCING AND YOU NEED TO BOX THE BACK AND RE-INFORCE THE SIDES.  AND ALSO YOUR TRANS PAN BAR.

yea i would stay with 12's i just don't don't believe you will get much more lock up that that ........dirty do you know of any one that makes a wish bone or anthing for these cars i don't most people just take out the whole thing then put caddy trailing arms or something in there

dirty post some pics of yours i have never seen it

1 - 20 of 38 Posts