LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
so today i brought home my next project, i just finished up my fairlane and this old buick came along and i had to have it. My little brother just turned 12, and me and him are going to fix it up so he can have it for his first car when he's 16. It's a 1966 buick wildcat 2 door convertible, the body is decent but we're going to pull it off and wrap the frame and do a 3 pump hydraulic setup this time instead of bags. it has a nailhead engine, either a 425 or 401, the guy i bought it from didn't know. Well here's a few pics from today when i got it home on the trailer, let me know what you think.

i know it looks a little rough, but the fenders only have surface rust, and the body is really straight for a new england car. I'll keep this topic updated with new pics when we get to work

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
nice choice, always thought they would make a good lowrider. good luck with it!

And could that be a 322 nailhead?? hard to tell how big the motor is from the pic

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
MY BUDDY HAD ONE OF THOSE TUFF TIME FINDING PARTS.YOU ARE GOING TO BE BUSY FOR A WHILE. BUT THATS WHAT WE DO. ;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies everyone, yeah it's a buick. I have no idea how big the nailhead is, the guy said it was a 425 but he didn't seem to know too much about it, when i pull it out i'll get the number off the block and see what size it is. Yeah i haven't found many places for parts, but i just finished up a 64 fairlane and could find almost no body parts or anything for that either, so i got practice in on making all my own patch panels, looks like we'll be doing the same thing for this one. 68 merc that lesabre is awesome, good job on it, i hope the wildcat looks that good some day soon! Today i'm going to take it off the trailer and hopefully get the body off, i'll post pics later on.

·
Paying Dues
4,193 Posts
More than likely it's a 401 cid. I should know because I had one for several years. Although Buick did produce a 425 that year, it had two (2) four (4) barrels. Trust me, that's a 401. '66 is the last year Buick produced the 401. After that came the 430.

They are extremely beautiful cars, but I guarantee you're going to have quite a time finding parts. Especially body parts. I tried all the Buick clubs, 'Hemmings Motor News', etc. The most you may find is engine parts. Your best bet is to find a donor car that's in good shape. And if you do it MUST be the exact same year. Although the '65 looks similar, the interior trim and exterior trim is different.

If you want (and willing to wait) I still have the original owners manual and accessories book from mine.

Be sure to look at that frame carefully. They're known to rust out in the rear.

If you need any assistance, let me know.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey tyrone,
thanks for all the info, it helps to know that it's a 401, i had a feeling it wasn't the 425. One of my friends has a 425 that we pulled out of a model A that has two 4 barrels, the thing is a monster. I haven't found many parts online, the windshield is the part i'm most worried about finding, all the auto glass places around here tell us to find our own glass for cars this old, they can't get them any more. I can make body parts that's no biggie, and it looks like egge has plenty of nailhead parts. The frame is rotted in the rear, i'm pulling the body off anyways to wrap the frame so i'll try and find a new rear section to weld in or just make my own to fit, the rest of the frame looks decent but i need to take a closer look at it. Do you have any pictures of yours? i haven't found many good pictures of finished convertibles. Thanks again for the help, i'll probably have a few questions especially over the next couple weeks, i'm going to start work on it and try to get it all apart before i have to go back to school next month.

·
Registered
28,097 Posts
HOOK THAT BITCH UP!!!!!!!!!

·
Paying Dues
4,193 Posts
Originally posted by lowriding 'lane@Jul 28 2005, 10:13 AM
hey tyrone,
thanks for all the info, it helps to know that it's a 401, i had a feeling it wasn't the 425.  One of my friends has a 425 that we pulled out of a model A that has two 4 barrels, the thing is a monster.  I haven't found many parts online, the windshield is the part i'm most worried about finding, all the auto glass places around here tell us to find our own glass for cars this old, they can't get them any more.  I can make body parts that's no biggie, and it looks like egge has plenty of nailhead parts.  The frame is rotted in the rear, i'm pulling the body off anyways to wrap the frame so i'll try and find a new rear section to weld in or just make my own to fit, the rest of the frame looks decent but i need to take a closer look at it.  Do you have any pictures of yours?  i haven't found many good pictures of finished convertibles.  Thanks again for the help, i'll probably have a few questions especially over the next couple weeks, i'm going to start work on it and try to get it all apart before i have to go back to school next month.
[snapback]3495679[/snapback]​
"LL", that's what I'm here for.

I honestly miss mine. Had to junk it some years ago. I even tried to sell it to members of a Buick club in Chicago, but they were "BSing". Hated to, but I had no choice but to junk it.

Seriously try to find a donor car. The glass and frame from any other full-size '66 GM vehicle should work.

Does yours have bucket seats and a console? Or is it a bench? Either way, it's a beautiful car. One of the most beautiful Buick produced. My favorite Wildcat though is a '64. I'm totally in love with that car. They're a little hard to find, but I've stumbled across some on E-bay. If that's what you had ('64 Wildcat) right now, I'll be giving you my '64 SS for it in a heartbeat!

I have pictures, but they're in Chicago. When I get them, I'll post them or send them to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts