LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have decided to table doing anything on my 63 Impala and start on the caddy. Here is a little history....

I bought the car when I was 19 and I'm now and old mf'er. At the time the car was a solid clean driver and it was my daily while going to school. Besides the paint the car was fairly stock. still has the original 472 big block in it, power windows & locks, power seat, tilt & telescopic wheel, climate control and cruise control. My plans for the car are a low-rod type look. I want to drive the shit out of this car (cross country) so I want the ride to right on the highway. The car has not been turned over in 18 years so who the hell knows what works and doesn't.

The 472 and 500 engines where great motors that produced tons of low end torque to get these boats moving. When I re-do the motor I am going to switch to a 500 block because the oil passages were a little larger in the 500's. I've found a machine shop in LA that specializes in blowing up these big block caddy motors. By the time their done with it, I should be somewhere between 500 to 575 HP with a shit load of torque.

Now the bad news.. As you can see I have no room to work on the car. The garage I store it at is TINY and on top of that I am storing a frame for the Impala in there. To make matter worse, there's no power in there so I will be bringing in a generator for the power tools. I have a shop in town that I have been talking to and they are going to work with me and they'll be helping me with some of the work when my garage does not have the space. At some point the car will go to there shop and stay there for the rest of the build. I will be able to go in and work on it as well. I still haven't found the F'ing winning lottery ticket so this will take a little time.

I have started to tear down what I can in the space I have. The hood was totally fried so I decided to strip it so the rust did not get any worse. Because I did not have my generator yet, I stripped that bitch by hand. I started on this about a month ago and yesterday I just finished pulling the carpet out along with the rear panels in the back seat. I don't have a ton time to work on it, so I've been trying to work on it a couple days a week.

When I was pulling the carpet near the dash I repositioned my foot and my shoe went through and made the f'ing hole you'll see below. :banghead:

That's all for now.....

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
Noticed u have a light on the celling! U no they have those light bulb plug outlits?? U screw the plastic light bulb lookalike deal in to the light socket thenit has two plug outlits on it!! Even a place to rescrew the bulb n!! I use one of these in my garage now to run my halagen bulb racks!! Good luck bro!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noticed u have a light on the celling! U no they have those light bulb plug outlits?? U screw the plastic light bulb lookalike deal in to the light socket thenit has two plug outlits on it!! Even a place to rescrew the bulb n!! I use one of these in my garage now to run my halagen bulb racks!! Good luck bro!!
Good catch... There is a bulb there and it actually has an outlet type adapter already there. I used it the first few times I was there and I threw a breaker for the apartment above the garage. The renter called my buddy who owns the place and complained about me. :twak: He asked me not to use that anymore so the generator is going to be my best bet.

·
Registered
675 Posts
grt start man! gonna be watching this one all year.will you make a detailed list of what you do to the motor? i am thinking of putting a cammed and ported 500 in one of my 59s or 60s...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
grt start man! gonna be watching this one all year.will you make a detailed list of what you do to the motor? i am thinking of putting a cammed and ported 500 in one of my 59s or 60s...:thumbsup:
Thanks.... I can't promise i'll get her done quick but I will get her done! I will definitely detail everything I end up doing on the motor. I would put a big block cad motor into anything! Cadillac built nice shit back then and used only the best. From what I have read, the 472 and 500's were only 50 lbs. heavier than a small block chevy, so you got all that power in a light weight motor. Below is a link to the shop I'll be working with and a link to a book they wrote. I bought it and it goes over in great detail what you need to do in order to blow up one of these engines.

http://www.500cid.com/Home.htm

http://www.mtscadparts.net/servlet/the-241/Big-Inch-Cadillac-Book./Detail

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would at least use a 60 gallon bro....I got a 33 gallon & it worked okay but loses air quick & takes a while to build pressure.
Thx, that's what I was afraid of.... By the way how are things going on your TWO ​68's!!

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
if you werent in oregon i would say come get this extra 68 hood and deck lid i have laying around for CHEAP.

·
'ONLY TAKES ONE'
3,012 Posts
Thx, that's what I was afraid of.... By the way how are things going on your TWO ​68's!!
:run: :run:......:biggrin: actually putting in more work this weekend on my new one....ill start a build thread on it as soon as I get a little more done! So the fastback is on hold for a while but ill get on it again in January.

·
Member # 1,077
22,645 Posts
gl on this 1

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:run: :run:......:biggrin: actually putting in more work this weekend on my new one....ill start a build thread on it as soon as I get a little more done! So the fastback is on hold for a while but ill get on it again in January.
Lol.. That's cool, it looked like the new one was in pretty decent shape.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts