LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reason being, I can get a lot of it for real cheap. canolprene welding cable---600v---arg 259. Is this cable 2/0 with more insulation? arg 259 is fat. and looks as though maybe more strand of copper than 2/0. But I haven't had any of that laying around in a while to compare. I am building a hopper. And can't help but gas hop from time to time. So the inside disconnect is a must. I've thought hard about split bank with one in the trunk as well. Does anybody know if this cable is too fat to fit in our style disconnects, or maybe bad experience with ground issues? I know there has been much debate about running wire that far for ground. But I have used 2/0 to the front no problems before.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Reason being, I can get a lot of it for real cheap. canolprene welding cable---600v---arg 259. Is this cable 2/0 with more insulation? arg 259 is fat. and looks as though maybe more strand of copper than 2/0. But I haven't had any of that laying around in a while to compare. I am building a hopper. And can't help but gas hop from time to time. So the inside disconnect is a must. I've thought hard about split bank with one in the trunk as well. Does anybody know if this cable is too fat to fit in our style disconnects, or maybe bad experience with ground issues? I know there has been much debate about running wire that far for ground. But I have used 2/0 to the front no problems before.

wait wait wait....2/0 would be 2 gauge because 0/2 is 00 gauge....right? 6 gauge is actually very thin for a hydraulic setup...i wouldn't do thinner than 2 gauge (the higher the number, the thinner)...you can do 4 gauge if your doing 36 volts front and back...i had that once with NO problem.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Can I use the 4gauge or 2gauge wire cable from autozone the ones that you use for your car battery it says heavy duty ??? Let me no thanx
i wouldnt use ANYTHING from autozone when installing hydraulics on any car.

if you are in burlington, ride over to Machine Welding Supply and buy some welding cable. Machine Welding Supply is on the same loop as the Harley dealer half way through the Hanford Rd loop.

·
Registered
471 Posts
i wouldnt use ANYTHING from autozone when installing hydraulics on any car.if you are in burlington, ride over to Machine Welding Supply and buy some welding cable. Machine Welding Supply is on the same loop as the Harley dealer half way through the Hanford Rd loop.
Thanx for theyour info hommie will go there 2morrow

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
i wouldnt use ANYTHING from autozone when installing hydraulics on any car.

if you are in burlington, ride over to Machine Welding Supply and buy some welding cable. Machine Welding Supply is on the same loop as the Harley dealer half way through the Hanford Rd loop.
X1,000,000

Don't buy solenoids from autozone! First they are more expensive and guranteed they will go FAST! Oil is fine....use aw32 hydraulic oil (ISO Grade 32)...i'm using it now and its a HUGE difference. but NO SOLENOIDS!!! :cool:

·
Registered
537 Posts

The longer ground the more resistance but the bigger the cable the less resistance. I would say if it doesnt get hot you should be ok.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts