LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 700r4 trans off an 84 corvette whats involved in putting the tranny in my 78 cutlass car has a chevy 350 with a turbo 350 right now, are the torque converters the same? because i have a new one for the turbo 350. ny info will help

·
Registered
389 Posts
I can recall reading somewhere that corvette 700r4's can be a problem since they may not have the transmission mount the same as all other GM cars. Not sure it that applies to the 84 vette you got your transmission from, but something to check before you get too far into it.

You might also find this FAQ page interesting
BowTieOverdrives.com

·
Registered
795 Posts
yup you will have to custom make a crossbar for the trans mount on the frame further back. besides that. it isnt that hard. also might have to swap yolks. to fit the driveshaft.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by dcairns+Jan 28 2010, 07:30 AM~16438681-->
I can recall reading somewhere that corvette 700r4's can be a problem since they may not have the transmission mount the same as all other GM cars.  Not sure it that applies to the 84 vette you got your transmission from, but something to check before you get too far into it.

You might also find this FAQ page interesting
BowTieOverdrives.com
[/b]
cool thanks yeah i noticed that the back was diffrent was hopping it was interchangable with the one on the turbo 350.

<!--QuoteBegin-CRAZY_NDN604
@Jan 28 2010, 12:08 PM~16441356
yup you will have to custom make a crossbar for the trans mount on the frame further back. besides that. it isnt that hard. also might have to swap yolks. to fit the driveshaft.
dosent sound too bad i found some cross members for the swap with the dual exhaust notches but they 250, swap seems worth it, might have to go with a 200 tranny they bolt up

·
Registered
795 Posts
Originally posted by LOCO 78@Feb 1 2010, 12:01 AM~16474759
cool thanks yeah i noticed that the back was diffrent was hopping it was interchangable with the one on the turbo 350.
dosent sound too bad i found some cross members for the swap with the dual exhaust notches but they 250, swap seems worth it, might have to go with a 200 tranny they bolt up
i did the swap in my 82 and there is not an existing crossmember that will work. all too short. i gotta custom make one. so yours should be really simple.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by CRAZY_NDN604@Feb 2 2010, 12:24 PM~16489559
i did the swap in my 82 and there is not an existing crossmember that will work. all too short. i gotta custom make one. so yours should be really simple.
what about these?

gforce

·
Registered
795 Posts
Originally posted by LOCO 78@Apr 17 2010, 09:57 PM~17224970
what about these?

gforce
yup G-Force and also Iceman make great parts. couple of buddies got iceman crossmember's.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
getthe crossmember from a box caprce drill new holes and it will fit and also get the drive shafft and from a caprice and have it cut down ill try in get the length the shaft needs to be cut to

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by loced_out_killa@Apr 19 2010, 11:34 AM~17237734
getthe crossmember from a box caprce drill new holes and it will fit  and also get the drive shafft and from a caprice and have it cut down ill try in get the length the shaft needs to be cut to
so is the caprice crossmember the same width?

·
Registered
340 Posts
the cross member is not the only issue. the corvett tranny dosen't mount to a crossmember it mounts on a torque bar that runs to the rear, If I remember coorectly you can switch the tail housing with one of other cars and use the cross member mount. I have a drive shaft from a monte with a 700 R 4 in it. where are you located?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by duck@Apr 25 2010, 06:31 PM~17299138
the cross member is not the only issue. the corvett tranny dosen't mount to a crossmember it mounts on a torque bar that runs to the rear,  If I remember coorectly you can switch the tail housing with one of other cars and use the cross member mount.  I have a drive shaft from a monte with a 700 R 4 in it. where are you located?
so no matter what i gotta switch the tail housing on the corvette tranny i got? im in Washington state, also the tranny has a sensor on the side of it what does that control does it just need power because i dont have a computer in my car? thanks for the help

·
Registered
58 Posts
ya only tha 350 and 400 tork conv. cross. theres 2 dif TH700s 27 spline (pump) and 30 spline the 27 spline 700 matches tha 2004r

1 - 17 of 17 Posts