1 - 5 of 5 Posts

S
sdwyz74
·Registered
Joined Feb 19, 2008
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · 19 h ago

Long story short been dragging her around for years! And finally getting Life together ( Growing Up! ) anyway I still got her and she need a lot of Work! And since I can't Pay what the shop is asking I've decided to do it myself! I have Absolutely no ( Bodywork Experience ) but Someone once told me ( Determination Sometimes Beats Skills! ) I have start Sanding it down by hand! And is hit bare Metal! ( tomorrow im gonna buy a air sander ) oh! and i also bought a small Sandblaster! From amazon for the tight spots! But like I said I do not know what im doing but it's TIME! any and all advice is appreciate as this will be a long journey but im all Steam Ahead!

Side Note! I've drug it, pushed it, towed it, begged people to keep it here and there , Stored it! And threw it all! All my ups and downs all my life's Journey! I've Kept it! ( So God Permit ) I'm Gonna Enjoy it!

The Car is Not For Sale!

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did some more sanding last night! And it was some Serious Work! ( by hand ) I actually bought a Air Sander! But it turns out my compressor cant keep up with it! So I just used it manually and got Busy! Anyway I really don't know what im doing At All! So any and all Points, Tips or Tricks of the Trade are Welcome!

Ps

My Buddy thinks i should ase Chemical Stripper! What do you guys think ?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Paint stripper is good, no dust and much less labour than hand sanding. Once the panel is bare you will still need to give it a final sand for the primer to adhere properly.
I would bare metal, repair and prime one panel at a time. That way there is not bare metal exposed for too long.
YouTube will be your best friend for this project. Just spend time researching what’s involved and then set a strategic plan.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ayyyy, getter done! Thats what I always say before I put some hard hours into my ride. Shes a keeper forsho tho, keep up the good work.
Thanks for rhe Positive Energy! I been getting it in on her and got the drunk all down to metal and im working on a fender now! Ive decided to leave the Quarters and doors alone for now because the Paint is oxidized! But still solid and serving as a Good Protection! ( I Live in Seattle ) For those Areas! My rust is in the left front fender, rear trunk lid, core support, front side of right fender! Both front wheel Wales, grill Mount/AC brace-mount, roof ( had a vinyl top ) and then worst is my Hood! Its heavily rusted and and broke where its screwed to the hinge! But its saveable! Anyway its will start raining soon so I am gonna just work in what Really Needs help so I can stop things from Rusting! I got the car in a nice car port Barn thingy. But its Open ended on Both Sides! And like I said its Seattle so Rain Is Coming sooner than Later!

Also hit a GOLD MINE! I thought all I had in the trunk was Fender Skirts! Turns out I had None! But what I did have os the Whole Front Nose! And the Factory Radiator and Can Shroud! 😁😁😁

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paint stripper is good, no dust and much less labour than hand sanding. Once the panel is bare you will still need to give it a final sand for the primer to adhere properly.
I would bare metal, repair and prime one panel at a time. That way there is not bare metal exposed for too long.
YouTube will be your best friend for this project. Just spend time researching what’s involved and then set a strategic plan.
Paint Stripper is a No Go Bro! I tried some but my friend where im keeping the Car seen it and said No Go Bro! He's got cats , ducks and chickens and said doesn't want the Chemicals around! So its all buy Hand! But im happy if my friend and has Wife are! They are watching our for me! But I made Progress!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I got some panels to straight metal and now I came home only to see that the morning DEW! caused Flash Rust all Over the Panels I sanded down to bare metal ☹ anyway I need to repair a couple small dings on the rear trunk and a small one on the outer top edge of the rear Quaterpanel!

Now I went out and got U-pol gold Lightweight Bondo and U-pol ( Dolphin ) but I absolutely do not Know what to do but I have to fix my dings! So I can cover the Exposed Metal with Epoxy Primer! Any help in steps 1-2-3 would work

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not always a good idea to put bondo direct to metal, it can create small water pockets. But I also seen it done with no problem so its all up to you and how well you cleaning and sealing your metal.
Ok I am getting so many mixed lines of info ? But the modt common theme i'm getting is that i should sand the panel with 80grit and ten clesn the entire surface with ol & Wax remover ( a couple times ) and then wipe it dien with tac-cloth! Then spray it with 2 coats of Epoxy Primer! And if should be good ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally finished getting it in epoxy primer! Not really thrilled abiut the Black! But it was either that or rust red! Anyway I sprayed it with Rattle Can! ( $28+ tax a Can ) anyway the can wouldn't spray with a consistent EVEN SPRAY ? they would Spray evenly and then out of Nowhere squirt and Spit ? And they would spit like a Splatter Pattern ? Anyway its sealed ( i think ) I did two or three solid Coats! Anyway when I find somewhere inside to work in it! Ill take it back to metal and Spray with a actual Spray Gun!

Please let me know if you guys have anything I could have/can do! To get a nice even coat like on the right side! ( USING RATTLE CAN )

Thanks to all for the input! and Advice!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts