LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should a 82 cutlass be wraped when wanting to use hydro and if it should does it have to be a full frame, do not want to do hopping or 3-wheel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,986 Posts
Originally posted by king-918@Oct 8 2007, 04:07 PM~8953315
should a 82 cutlass be wraped when wanting to use hydro and if it should does it have to be a full frame, do not want to do hopping or 3-wheel
IF YOUR JUST GOING UP AND DOWN, YOU REALLY DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, BUT THATS WHAT MOST PEOPLE SAYS WHEN THEY FIRST GET JUICE. THEN COMES THE HOPPING AND 3-WHEELING WHILE HAVING NO REINFORCEMENTS. THEN COMES THE JUNK YARD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well what about a partial wrap and where are the stress points on the cutlass
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,986 Posts
Originally posted by king-918@Oct 8 2007, 11:38 PM~8956355
well what about a partial wrap and where are the stress points on the cutlass
WELL WHEN YOU LOCK UP THE FRONT END, YOUR WHEELS ARE GOING TO CAMBER IN ALOT SO YOULL NEED TO EXTEND THE A-ARMS. I'D SAY 1 INCH IS FINE FOR YOU. THEN PLATE THE REAR HUMPS AND INSTALL AN AXLE BRIDGE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,689 Posts
yeah cuttys are pretty stiff i used to beat my old one(with nothing done to the frame-put a bridge in later to stand 3s) around and 3 wheel it and hop it without any problems(exept my door wouldnt open and close without pulling and slamin it while on 3s lol)but yeah they flex but not like a big body-id say just do your rear humps outside in 1/4 inch steel and put a chain bridge in it if you decide to do 3s-if its not rotted or missing body mounts youll be good-if your just goin to do up n down on 2-3 batteries itll be fine how it is :cool:-but if you change your mind and want to make it some big crazy ride on bumper hoppin shit with 36 inch telescoping cylinders in the back then you will need to do some frame fabrication
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,596 Posts
Originally posted by danp68@Oct 9 2007, 04:38 PM~8962267
yeah cuttys are pretty stiff i used to beat my old one(with nothing done to the frame-put a bridge in later to stand 3s) around and 3 wheel it and hop it without any problems(exept my door wouldnt open and close without pulling and slamin it while on 3s lol)but yeah they flex but not like a big body-id say just do your rear humps outside in 1/4 inch steel and put a chain bridge in it if you decide to do 3s-if its not rotted or missing body mounts youll be good-if your just goin to do up n down on 2-3 batteries itll be fine how it is  :cool:-but if you change your mind and want to make it some big crazy ride on bumper hoppin shit with 36 inch telescoping cylinders in the back then you will need to do some frame fabrication
:uh: g-bodys are not stiff. if a person truly only goes up and down, then 4-6batteries MAX! with plated pockets, humps, and done arms.
but my true standing on it. wrap it or trash it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,689 Posts
Originally posted by Mark@Oct 9 2007, 04:59 PM~8962442
:uh:  g-bodys are not stiff. if a person truly only goes up and down, then 4-6batteries MAX! with plated pockets, humps, and done arms.
but my true standing on it. wrap it or trash it.
yea thats what im sayin 2-3 batteries he'll be fine-i never had anything break or bend on mine like i said the doors wer just a hair off on threes but it never stayed that way-once ya sit it down they were always back to normal :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,596 Posts
Originally posted by king-918@Oct 10 2007, 01:50 PM~8969707
pockets?
where the spring goes. like in the front. you would cut the teeth out and I would weld in a plate to hold it all together and prevent push through. and for the rear i would take some 3.5 DOM and weld it to a round plate and put it up in there and weld it.( if its coil over) and then take a gusset and weld it in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
you shoud sell it to me and i will wrap it :biggrin: 71232 let me know :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,802 Posts
it doesnt matter how many batteries u push to ur setup. wether its 3 or 4 or any amount and even if ur just wanting to lift and lay, youre still putting alot of stress on the rear arches of the car as well as even more stress on the front end from holding the coils in and locking them up even more stress. dont think just cuz ur not gonna be 3 wheeling and hopping that ur frame is safe. if u want a safe frame put hydraulics in the car but dont put no oil in ur pumps, then u got a hydraulic setup thats all show and no go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,596 Posts
Originally posted by KINGFISH_CUSTOMS@Oct 11 2007, 12:30 AM~8975126
it doesnt matter how many batteries u push to ur setup. wether its 3 or 4 or any amount and even if ur just wanting to lift and lay, youre still putting alot of stress on the rear arches of the car as well as even more stress on the front end from holding the coils in and locking them up even more stress.  dont think just cuz ur not gonna be 3 wheeling and hopping that ur frame is safe.  if u want a safe frame put hydraulics in the car but dont put no oil in ur pumps,  then u got a hydraulic setup thats all show and no go.
if the person truly had self control then the amount of weight would make the world of diffrence. if there isnt over locking or heavy ass coils i dont see why it should be any more stess than having some weight in the car.
(disclaimer, wrap it or scrap it.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,802 Posts
well the weight in the trunk with metal and atleast 4 batteries plus 2 pumps u figure 4 batteries at 60 lbs each would already give u a minimum of an extra 320 lbs in the trunk besides the pumps which are usually when filled with oil 15 lbs or more. so thats an additional 30 plus metal. so atleast u got 500 lbs in the trunk. so thats some stress that will show up in the long run without reinforcing anything. quarter panels will be the first to go for sure. but up front even though when u got a stock front suspension theres a good amount of pressure on the stock ball joint. but once u replace the stock coils for hydraulics, now u added even more pressure to a stock ball joint as well as pressure on the towers, and front spring pocket. the constant up and down motion on the front suspension isnt gonna show up immediately at first thats for sure. but in the long run is where youll see the problems. plus the fact that lifting and raising a car will push the driveline into the tranny causing u to rip out tranny mounts and if that dont get fixed right away then your talking about destroyin motor mounts. and if those dont get fixed then ur gonna be rolling the frame mounts into the frame. just a lot of variables to not reinforcing the car will become evident in time if nothing is reinforced. but exactly what u said WRAP IT OR SCRAP IT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
Originally posted by king-918@Oct 8 2007, 01:07 PM~8953315
do not want to do hopping or 3-wheel
i said the same thing when i put my set up in my Monte then the first show i went and nosed up with another G-body and won i never stopped hopping and now i'm paying the price since i did not wrap the frame i just did the stress points and extended my A-arms. i'm dealing with having to do a full frame swap since mine has been collasped for a long time now. :angry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,414 Posts
I ran acutty for 8 years - extended uppers 5/8", humps plated 3/16" and had no problems. I would weld up the factory seems in the front pockets and plate or bridge the back pockets and you will be fine with 6 batts at 36v
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top