LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 82 Cadillac Fleetwood Coupe. I was wondering in anyone had any advice on what is needed to remove the landua Top. I would like it to be molded in like the top on the Aqua Marine (Lowrider Mag. March 2011) Any help would be appriciated! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
19,022 Posts
Save all da chrome and resell it for one ;) I fucked up and bent da shit outta of it :banghead: Rip da vynil off and under it is a foam that's glued on. I personally used 3" putty knife and a propane tank. I heated da blade and used it to scrape da old shot off. Then I used a DA wit 80 grit to remove da rest and old paint.

·
stylish muthafucka
10,237 Posts
Save all da chrome and resell it for one ;) I fucked up and bent da shit outta of it :banghead: Rip da vynil off and under it is a foam that's glued on. I personally used 3" putty knife and a propane tank. I heated da blade and used it to scrape da old shot off. Then I used a DA wit 80 grit to remove da rest and old paint.

·
The Great White Hype
59,428 Posts
adding to the above said, grind the t studs off and then your gonna have to fiberglass the rear window plastic cover to smooth it out and the side windows

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kool. Thanks for the heads up. Got the top off today and puddy knife and heat got it off:thumbsup:. I was wondering what was needed for the rear window. I didnt pull the trim off the back glass but i noticed a gap at the bottom and was wondering what to do. Fiberglass it in? I also notice some have chrome trim. 80-84 without top would work? Thanks for the heads up guys!!!

·
IGOTABIG
2,518 Posts
Kool. Thanks for the heads up. Got the top off today and puddy knife and heat got it off:thumbsup:. I was wondering what was needed for the rear window. I didnt pull the trim off the back glass but i noticed a gap at the bottom and was wondering what to do. Fiberglass it in? I also notice some have chrome trim. 80-84 without top would work? Thanks for the heads up guys!!!
I have the trim. One small ding in the center though. Pm me ur number I can send pics to ur phone

·
Registered
19,022 Posts
Your also gonna need a new back window for a hardtop and a new interior trim also.

·
The Great White Hype
59,428 Posts
why do u need new interior trim
because I heard that the glass has a black border that will be visible from the inside.

wait a minute if your keeping the halo ring on the back window you shouldnt need to use the 4 door fleet interior molding. The back glass would be needed too if you were making a baldie reg coupe and decided to not keep the halo trim ring. But not converting a smooth top as you were saying. Everything would be the same.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
because I heard that the glass has a black border that will be visible from the inside.

wait a minute if your keeping the halo ring on the back window you shouldnt need to use the 4 door fleet interior molding. The back glass would be needed too if you were making a baldie reg coupe and decided to not keep the halo trim ring. But not converting a smooth top as you were saying. Everything would be the same.
wouldnt u be able to see the black border from the outside tho to or when u put the interior pices in it would some wut hide it?
would a new back window be in order?????????????
wuts the halo trim ring? chrome trim around the back window

·
The Great White Hype
59,428 Posts
naw the halo piece is the plastic piece that goes around the window and is rivited to the car. If your going to remove the vinyl top and the halo piece you are most likely going to need a non vinyl top coupe back glass. The topic starter is talking about molding it in like the "aquamarine cadillac" he would not need another glass.

But if you are taking the vinyl top off and installing the rear window trim, you will need a non vinyl top rear window. The interior piece would need to be changed also if your removing.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
naw the halo piece is the plastic piece that goes around the window and is rivited to the car. If your going to remove the vinyl top and the halo piece you are most likely going to need a non vinyl top coupe back glass. The topic starter is talking about molding it in like the "aquamarine cadillac" he would not need another glass.

But if you are taking the vinyl top off and installing the rear window trim, you will need a non vinyl top rear window. The interior piece would need to be changed also if your removing.
ok cool thanks for the info homie learn something new every day
next thing is when i put the chrome trim on theres about a half inch gap between the bottom chrome trim and the back deck (the piece above the trunk lid) any ideas how to fill it in besides glassn it

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kool!!! Thanks for the info guys! After I started this post i noticed a slick top caddy that had what looked like a bigger back window? So that is the 80-84 Non vinyl top glass??? I dont really like the Idea of fiberglassing the whole thing in.. PM sent Dj kurse1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts