LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was talking to someone on a different site about importing a caddy coupe deville into the uk and they said this....

The 4.1 has a reputation for being a truly horrible engine, slight overheating destroys them, they're prone to overheating, they burn and leak oil, they crack heads, cooling and head gasket problems galore.

For a long time when they were somewhat new, Extended warranty companies would single them and Corvette ZR1s out as being the only GM cars they would not warranty. (ZR1s because the engines are terribly exensive).

If you want a lowrider project, a Caddy is a great choice, just don't buy one with a 4.1. Watch for Rust if it's a Northern car, if it is a 1981 or newer get a Carfax report on it, and be careful of bad filler panels at the edge of the rear wings. Interior trim for older Cadillacs can be very hard to source for the plastic pieces.

anyone have any more to add or is this info correct

·
Registered
489 Posts
yeah who ever told you that is pretty much right...

the 4.1 engines are know for its problems, i think mid year 83 or early 84 caddilac changed the blocks on the 4.1s from aluminum (BAD) to regualer iron or whatever. Those are the good ones, meaning they are less prone to overheating, rod knocking and eventually the block warping and blowing up on you. From what i've been told the 83 and later 4.1 with BLACK valve covers are the good ones (bad engines had CHROME), like mine is. If you get a good one you still have to check the sensors and on board diagnostics to make sure everything is ok and it'll run fine. just change the oil every 2000 miles, make sure you cooling system is in excellent shape and don't pound on it!!

I've had experience with all 3 engines common in the big body caddys, the shit 4.1, 82 coupe deville, good 4.1 my current 84 coupe de ville and the oldsmoble 305 my old 88 fleetwood broughm. the best running of all is my 84 coupe de ville.

if you get one with a bad engine you could always swap it out for the bulletproof chevy 350, check the forums for info on that, its real common.

Basically either way go with a caddy!! find an 84 or 85 with the 4.1 or later models with the 5.0 oldsmoblie carburated engine which are also good. If you find a clean one with a bad engine, get a good deal on it and with another couple of bucks swap out the engine. good luck

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
I've heard all kinds of opinions on 4.1's....some good, alot bad...bottom line if the engine was kept up, maintained, etc you should be alright...the one thing everyone will agree on is they're gutless as hell - forget about "gas hoppin"....but, at the same time, the fuel injection system doesn't stall out when you do hop while driving....the new replacement crate 4.1's have all the updates the earliers didn't......my fave motor from the early 80's caddy's is the 368 motor...strong, solid motor (not the 4-6-8 one) came in 80 and 81

for rust, check the inner fenders near the hood hinges - they always go there...and bottoms of coupe doors

1 - 4 of 4 Posts