LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guy has an 85 delta with a 5.0 307 in it... told me that his friend came by and did a tune up and now the car wont start (tune up was done at least 4 months ago)

the car will turn over slowly, even with a jump...

gas guage reads 3/4 tank of gas, but the car wont crank fast enough to catch....

he told me that his friend "crossed sthe wires" i checked the haynes book and the spark plug wires are all wired correctly....

i dont remember ever fucking with many wires when doing a tune up (besides spark plug wires/distributor cap/rotor).... anybody have any idea what might be wrong with it??

i need a replacement engine for my daily, and would like to upgrade while im at it.....

if i remember any more details, ill post them up...

engine has 88xxx og miles.......

thanks for any help..

eazy :cool:

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
try moving the distibutor and charging the battery

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would throw in a new battery, and go from there. Then, once you get the starter spinning fast enough, if it still won't catch, I would check the coil, rotor, cap, timing, all that, thats where the problem would be, provided the firing order is correct (I have seen in-correct Haynes manuals).

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks.. ny more tips on what might be wrong??...

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
i had a brush wire fall off inside the starter ... i could crank it all day ...tried ether ... just wont turn fast enuff for it to lite off ...

check the starter ...and the positive negaive wires... i also once had poor connection at the clamp ..and it wouldnt start either .. try pulling on the wire ..and try twisting the posts ..

and if its hei make sure the 12 volt wire is hooked up ...
and the number one wire lines up in 1 on dist...when 1 is at TDC

and always rule out air, fuel and spark

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
prolly retarted the distibutor so much it wont crank fast enough

my cutlass would do that shit and i advance it a lil more and then got it to where it was good

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by sleepy526@Sep 4 2005, 01:11 PM~3750045
prolly retarted the distibutor so much it wont crank fast enough
my cutlass would do that shit and i advance it a lil more and then got it to where it was good
so how exactly do i fix that???

·
16,068 Posts
It's usually the simplest thing that's wrong. One time i forgot to put the distributor rotor back in my buddy's box caprice. We cranked it for hours(and another case of corona's) until i saw the new one sitting in the box :0

Just check the easy stuff first though, fuel and spark. If it has those, i'll bet the timing is off.

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed@Sep 4 2005, 04:37 PM~3750971
It's usually the simplest thing that's wrong.  One time i forgot to put the distributor rotor back in my buddy's box caprice.  We cranked it for hours(and another case of corona's) until i saw the new one sitting in the box  :0

Just check the easy stuff first though, fuel and spark.  If it has those, i'll bet the timing is off.
i cnat even really check those yet... it cranks slow as fuck....

i used my truck to jump it, but the truck only has a six in it...... maybe the battery/engine/alternator doesnt have enough power to spin a v8..

:dunno:

·
16,068 Posts
Doesn't matter how big an engine as long as the vehicle jumping and being jumped are 12V. Just turn off all lights and accessories and leave the jumper cables hooked up for a few minutes(should get a nice charge that way if the battery in the olds is good). Or Try putting the battery on a slow charge and then use a voltmeter to check if it looses voltage. Or just throw a new battery in it. If you don't know how to check for fuel and spark or have tools, it may get expensive just throwing parts at it though

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed@Sep 5 2005, 12:07 AM~3753426
Doesn't matter how big an engine as long as the vehicle jumping and being jumped are 12V. Just turn off all lights and accessories and leave the jumper cables hooked up for a few minutes(should get a nice charge that way if the battery in the olds is good).  Or Try putting the battery on a slow charge and then use a voltmeter to check if it looses voltage.  Or just throw a new battery in it.  If you don't know how to check for fuel and spark or have tools, it may get expensive just throwing parts at it though
well, i know how to (manually??) check fuel lines/pressure and shit... i have the spark plug "light" adapter that i use to check the spark... just havent checked either one, due to the engine turning over so slowly...

im gonna take the battery out of my car, charge it all the way up and go look at the car in a couple days again.....

thanks for the help, any more tips/suggestions???

·
16,068 Posts
You could try swapping the battery with a known good battery (from your truck?) to rule that out as the problem. Maybe all that time the guy doing the tune up spent under the hood with the hood light on caused the initial no start problem. I wonder if the guy messed with the carb at all.

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed@Sep 5 2005, 12:27 AM~3753613
You could try swapping the battery with a known good battery (from your truck?) to rule that out as the problem.  Maybe all that time the guy doing the tune up spent under the hood with the hood light on caused the initial no start problem.  I wonder if the guy messed with the carb at all.
i was gonna swap batteries the day iwas there, but the truck has a different battery than the olds (side post)

·
59 imp 64 imp 77 mc
11,239 Posts
If it turns over but starts clicking it is most likely a starter soilenoid, if it doesnt turn over and makes no sound its a dead battery or a dead neutral safety switch, If your battery dosent match the CCA (cold cranking amps) on the sticker then you should check your alternator before replacing your battery, if the alternator is all good then replace the battery because it will turn the engine over but wont give it enough to start. It could also be corroded positive and negative cables causing a draw in your system... you cant always tell by the clamp sometimes its inside the insulation. If its backfiring when turning over you got a crossed wire or the distributor is not set right. Also sometimes people put on caps but cant get one of the hooks around the ears on the distributor and think it will be all good... grab hold of the cap and move it around, if there is any play then one or more of the hooks aint done right which can cause it not to spark right or start even.

Did you check for spark at the spark plug end of the wire?

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by B_A_RIDER@Sep 5 2005, 03:46 PM~3756391
If it turns over but starts clicking it is most likely a starter soilenoid, if it doesnt turn over and makes no sound its a dead battery or a dead neutral safety switch, If your battery dosent match the CCA (cold cranking amps) on the sticker then you should check your alternator before replacing your battery, if the alternator is all good then replace the battery because it will turn the engine over but wont give it enough to start. It could also be corroded positive and negative cables causing a draw in your system... you cant always tell by the clamp sometimes its inside the insulation.  If its backfiring when turning over you got a crossed wire or the distributor is not set right. Also sometimes people put on caps but cant get one of the hooks around the ears on the distributor and think it will be all good... grab hold of the cap and move it around, if there is any play then one or more of the hooks aint done right which can cause it not to spark right or start even.

Did you check for spark at the spark plug end of the wire?
thanks... no i didnt check for spark/fuel yet(it's not my car.. i might buy it)

all i know about the car is that he said it ran fine until his friend was doing a tune up and "crossed the wires".. i checked the haynes book, and according to them, the spark plug wires are in the right places...

my plan was to take the battery out my coupe, charge it overnight, bring it by the guys house, and see if the car would at least turn over a little faster.. then, check the spark, and then the fuel.....

when i was there, i tried to start it using a jump box, got nothing.. pulled the truck into the yard(6 cylinder) tried to jump it, got nothing.. (i figured it might have been that the engine was smaller, and also that it's a brand new truck.. maybe doesnt need as much power to turn it over)....

left the truck running for a few minutes (see if the battery would hold a charge) still didnt turn over quick....

my problem is that i was gonna buy the car for the engine (which the seller claimed to run strong, and didnt mention the problem till i was there with the cash..)

theres obviously no point in buying a car for an engine that doesnt run.....

·
Registered
142 Posts
well check the rotor make sure it points to the #1 cylinder at the right time does it have
HEI ? maybe check the compression your piston ring or your valves might be burned out!! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts