LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 405 Posts

·
over it
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got started on my boys Caddy this week.

The goals:

1. Build a very solid daily system to pump the sounds while riding.
2. Take up as little trunk space as possible. (Need space for hydraulic set up)
3. Make it a clean install worthy of popping the trunk for.
4. Put some JL system to shame while spending a fraction of the cash. :biggrin:

The gear:

Kenwood head unit.
Infinity 6.5 components, 2 sets
12" Fi IB3 subs, trying to fit 4 but may end up with 3.
Sundown SAX-50.4
Sundown SAZ-2000D
Lots of 1/0 cable
Undecided yet on electrical system.
more to come...

Here is the ride.

Started doing the front doors.

I stripped the carpet off and used the press board as a template for my MDF

Flush mounted the tweeters in the arm rest as high and far foreward as possible

Doing a test fit. I need to try to find some carpet to cover the MDF. I think I'm going to paint the grilles for the speakers also. The silver clashes with the interior.

Got the other door done and moved on to the subs. The subs are designed for infinite baffle use so no box needed. I do however have to seal and brace the rear deck and seat back really well.

I made the new rear deck piece to start with, and sorted out where the subs will sit.

Then I made a trim piece to flush the subs into.

I made a circle jig for my router. This thing is a life saver. First time ever that I've cut speaker openings correctly the first time. It also cost almost nothing to make which is a plus.

Test fit the trim piece. I still need to router the edges and do a little sanding to get the shape I want.

Figured I'd get a couple pics of the sub.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
i only used 1 componet set in the doors. for some reason with this body car 6x9's on the back deck overpower the front doors. i molded the tweeter in the factory location. looks pretty good.

if i decide to keep my fleet i have to figure a way to fit 2 18" loaded Fi BL's with all kinds of other shit.

let me know how the IB subs sound. thats one i never heard play from Fi.

let me know which way your going with the wire to. i have to do 2 runs of knukoncepts ultraflex 0 guage

keep us updated

·
over it
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by BIG DIRTY+Mar 22 2010, 03:52 PM~16963388-->
YOU GONNA MOLD THOSE SPEAKERS IN AT THE BOTTOM OF THE DOOR PANEL?
[/b]
I'm not sure what I want to do with those yet. I don't like the way they look just sitting on the MDF. There isn't enough room around the grill to do a trim panel to flush mount them into. I don't have lots of time to devote to this build so it may not get much fancier.

<!--QuoteBegin-74Olds98SLAB
@Mar 22 2010, 05:06 PM~16964079
i only used 1 componet set in the doors. for some reason with this body car 6x9's on the back deck overpower the front doors. i molded the tweeter in the factory location. looks pretty good.

if i decide to keep my fleet i have to figure a way to fit 2 18" loaded Fi BL's with all kinds of other shit.

let me know how the IB subs sound. thats one i never heard play from Fi.

let me know which way your going with the wire to. i have to do 2 runs of knukoncepts ultraflex 0 guage
keep us updated
I wanted to put all the mids and highs up front. I'm not really a fan of rear speakers. I'm still doing my homework on what I'm doing for all the power needs.

This is the first infinite baffle install I've ever attempted. I have high hopes though. It was either IB or nothing so I figured I'd give it a shot. I was blown away with the Fi 10" SSD I purchased so I figured Fi wouldn't offer a IB sub if it wouldn't perform.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
yea Fi is great, i have 2 18" BL's the first generation ones, love em, powered by 2 sundown 1500's

i have all the power wire just it doesnt look like i can run it under the car like i wanted, and its gonna be hard to hide under the carpet. plus i have all the wires from the alpine dvd/tv

reason im undecided about keeping the car. i have to fit 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag and make it look good

2 18"s
2 pop trunk actuators
1 mirror sign on decklid
2 1500 sundown amps
1 100x4 sundown
1 125x2 sundown
rockford fosgate 360.2 processor
2 kinetik 2400's
2 viar 400's
1 12 gal tank with 8 valves attached

thats all i can think of right now

·
over it
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by 74Olds98SLAB@Mar 22 2010, 10:30 PM~16967760
yea Fi is great, i have 2 18" BL's the first generation ones, love em, powered by 2 sundown 1500's

i have all the power wire just it doesnt look like i can run it under the car like i wanted, and its gonna be hard to hide under the carpet. plus i have all the wires from the alpine dvd/tv

reason im undecided about keeping the car. i have to fit 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag and make it look good
2 18"s
2 pop trunk actuators
1 mirror sign on decklid
2 1500 sundown amps
1 100x4 sundown
1 125x2 sundown
rockford fosgate 360.2 processor
2 kinetik 2400's
2 viar 400's
1 12 gal tank with 8 valves attached

thats all i can think of right now
Thats the way it is on everything I do it seems. Doesn't matter how big the trunk is I always find a way to need more room.

·
over it
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a little more done today.

Test fit.

Made the baffle board for the 4th sub and put it in my hillbilly press for the glue to set.

Notched out the top baffle to let the 4th sub breath a little better. I'll remove a little foam from the seat back and cut the arm rest backing out also.

It will go together something like this.

Chop it up. Making room for everything. I'm not looking forward to dealing with this mess.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
KILLIN em homie...

im hoping to be able to hide a 10" sub in my convertible.. i am installing an aircraft setup and dont want any new stuff visible.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
i would have just done 3 subs. wouldnt have cut all that back seat out. but its your build. wood working looks 100 though

heres where i done my tweeter for more ideas

·
over it
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by 74Olds98SLAB@Mar 23 2010, 05:02 PM~16975739
i would have just done 3 subs. wouldnt have cut all that back seat out. but its your build. wood working looks 100 though

heres where i done my tweeter for more ideas

Well I planned on cutting most the metal structure out anyways since it will just resonate like crazy. I'm not one who worries about cutting up a car, it's only metal I can weld something back in there if it realy needs it. I wanted to get as much driver surface as possible since there is no enclouser to boost output like a good ported enclosure would. I would have done the tweeters like yours if I were running 1 set just to keep the panels looking factory. There just wasn't the room though.

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by OUTHOPU@Mar 23 2010, 06:01 PM~16976430
Well I planned on cutting most the metal structure out anyways since it will just resonate like crazy. I'm not one who worries about cutting up a car, it's only metal I can weld something back in there if it realy needs it. I wanted to get as much driver surface as possible since there is no enclouser to boost output like a good ported enclosure would. I would have done the tweeters like yours if I were running 1 set just to keep the panels looking factory. There just wasn't the room though.

Thanks for the feedback everybody.
YOU GONNA MOLD THAT IN THERE, LIKE FIBERGLASS??? CAUSE THIS CAR HAS HYDRAULICS RIGHT???? I CAN ALREADY SEE THOSE SIDE PANELS AFTER SOME MOVEMENT, AND YOU HAVE NO BRACING ALONG THAT BELT LINE AREA. JUST ASKING DOGG

·
over it
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Making progress.

Glued and screwed the front baffle on and added some bracing. I plan on doing more bracing still.

Test fitting with subs. 4th sub was set in place to check for clearance on the middle sub, it was close but cleared.

It's going to be real close on cylinder clearance for the hydraulics. I may change the top baffle to angle the subs forward for more clearance.

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
:cool: Nice! Do you have pics of the rear dash before you put the package tray on? I'd like to see how you cut the metal. :happysad:

·
over it
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Badass94Cad+Mar 23 2010, 06:15 PM~16976603-->
:cool: Nice! Do you have pics of the rear dash before you put the package tray on?  I'd like to see how you cut the metal.  :happysad:
[/b]
I didn't snap a pic of that. I just used an air powered saw with a fine tooth blade. I just started at one of the speaker openings and went about making a bis ass hole. Then decided to just cut it all out like the pics show.

<!--QuoteBegin-Badass94Cad
@Mar 23 2010, 06:16 PM~16976615
Also, all your mids and highs are up front, and just bass out back?
Yes. Thats actually the way I prefer it. Even if he wants to do something out back for mids/highs I'll address that later.

1 - 20 of 405 Posts