LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i gotta 95 fleetwood last week and needed a new ac condenser. i replaced it today but the ac compressor is not kicking on. anyone have any idea what could be wrong? i checked all the fuses and nothing. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Originally posted by miaryder05@Feb 7 2010, 09:34 PM~16542188
i gotta 95 fleetwood last week and needed a new ac condenser. i replaced it today but the ac compressor is not kicking on. anyone have any idea what could be wrong? i checked all the fuses and nothing.  Thanks!
it wont kick on until you get enough coolant back in it-mine did same thing when i recharged it last summer-it wouldnt kick on at all,then after i got enough coolant in ,it started spinning and blowing cold air like a champ ;)

·
-394 CUSTOMS-
8,553 Posts
Originally posted by danp68@Feb 7 2010, 07:53 PM~16542803
it wont kick on until you get enough coolant back in it-mine did same thing when i recharged it last summer-it wouldnt kick on at all,then after i got enough coolant in ,it started spinning and blowing cold air like a champ  ;)
freon, not coolant

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Originally posted by CHELADAS75@Feb 7 2010, 09:57 PM~16544410
freon, not coolant
refrigerant not freon.

Freon=R12
Suva=R134a
Both Dupont Corporation trade names.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Originally posted by kandylac@Feb 8 2010, 01:02 AM~16544476
refrigerant not freon.
Freon=R12
Suva=R134a
Both Dupont Corporation trade names.
thats what i meant lol-yeah no freon in those,its the over the counter stuff you can buy anywhere with no license ;)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the ac condenser was empty and the guy at autozone told me to put the ac on high and fill it till it gets to the green. i realy dont think its enough thats why the compressor wont turn on. fill the rest of the can? if i need more how many more cans do i need?

·
Registered
871 Posts
If it was empty, you need to get it vacuumed first at a shop. It will only cost about thirty bucks. They hook up the machine, and pull a vacuum on it for 15-10 min. It should hold 30psi with no leak down. Then, you fill it at home. Or, pay them to fill it since you are already there. If it was empty, it will take more than that one full can. Starting from empty, you fill first with the car off, then put the AC on high once it has an initial charge.

Have you jumped the connector on the drier to make sure the compressor is actually working?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Unplug the connector that is on the side of the drier (the cylindrical aluminum can on the passenger side). Inside that connector you just unplugged, there will be two contacts. Take a piece of wire, and touch the two contacts (with the engine running and the AC on). The compressor should immediately come on. If it doesn't, you have other problems that need to get sorted first. Don't run it for more than a couple of seconds like this, though, with your system empty.

One more thing. You need to add oil to the system because you replaced a part. The FSM has the amount to add.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the problem is alittle more serious. aparently the person who had the car before me riged the fans direct and the one for the ac is not working and when the mechanic brided the ac relay the compressor turns on but not on its own from the climate control and thats another rig, they tryed extending the cable on the climate control i dont know why but i have an extra foot of wiring back there. he tells me that the relay seems to not get the signal from the climate control. could that be bad? dont know how serious it is till thursday.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The compressor won't turn on "on its own" until there is enough charge in the system. That thing I told you how to short is the low pressure switch that keeps the compressor off until the system has enough pressure.

Did your mechanic fill the system?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea he did the vacum and recharged the system and i was still having the same issue of the compressor not turning on just by the climate control. ill find out thursday if he can fix the issue or not. thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Glad to help out. Good luck, I know it will be hot in MIA soon...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my mechanic told me that the pcm (computer) is not sending the signal to the relay box for the ac and that i need to replace that and sujested that i get a another climate control just in case. would you happen to know if i get a used one will i need to reprogram the pcm and doing something like that too complicated?

·
Registered
871 Posts
94 or 95 D body (Fleetwood) PCM will work. 94-95 B body (Caprice, SS, Roadmaster) will work if reprogrammed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts