LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
over it
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Well I decided to double up on the soleniods and see if they would hold 96V. I think the answer is pretty simple as the pics show. No! I hooked them up individually then ran both cables together at the battery and motor terminal (battery-soleniod-motor/battery-soleniod-motor). My thinking was that it would reduce the amp load by half and would keep heat down some, doesn't look like that was the case. I don't see how linking them together (battery-soleniod-soleniod-motor) would be any better. The soleniod looks like the plunger was actually arcing to the contact on the hot side lead. All 4 soleniods had different wear patterns but showed similar signs in lesser degrees. This really sucks because I was really hoping to get these to work out. I can't stand the thought of using a dozen bullshit ford soleniods since I don't understand how they can even handle half what these big soleniods can handle. Am I doing something wrong here? All battery cable is 1/0 welding cable and ground is in the trunk attached to the rack that the pumps and soleniods are, and the batteries (Powervolt 1150 cca group 31) are new and fully charged. I did pull the motor on the side that the soleniod blew and it was arcing from the brush holder to the and cap as well. The motor still looks good though. This is the first time I've run 96V. Looks like more insulating needs to be done when pushing this many volts. Back to the drawing board. If any one can point me in the right direction for soleniods or care to share a few tips please do.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
3 accumax grounded good.run 8 batteries for over a year haven't burnt nothing.make surre you have good ground on the whole system no paint under anything.good luck homie

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Originally posted by soloco@Sep 3 2006, 09:02 PM~6098147
3 accumax grounded good.run 8 batteries for over a year haven't burnt nothing.make surre you have good ground on the whole system no paint under anything.good luck homie
Accumax won't handle 96 volts, the OLD ACCURATE's would but the new ones won't. Good luck finding some old ones.

·
over it
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by soloco@Sep 3 2006, 10:02 PM~6098147
How do you have yours wired? Doing anything special with them or just out of the box stuff? I sanded the paint off under all my mounting points and connections to make sure I had a good ground before I went for higher volts.

Whats the difference between Accumax and Accurate anyways? I've heard the new ones aren't as good a lot on here. Thats why I was trying to stay away from them.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
i heard 72v is max on those noids

·
Banned
8,474 Posts
:0 and fuck noid blocks , i fryed one on friday the one for the back and last nigth the one for the front fryed :uh: . i put the accumax ones for the rear. and took my old noid blocks apart and put the good ones on for the front and it worked for now. :biggrin:

·
True-S Mike
251 Posts
Originally posted by enough_talkin@Sep 4 2006, 12:17 AM~6098802
i heard 72v is max on those noids
i've never ahd a problem at 3 yrs. i wouldnt go over

·
Registered
495 Posts
Originally posted by yetti@Sep 3 2006, 10:07 PM~6098178
Accumax won't handle 96 volts, the OLD ACCURATE's would but the new ones won't.  Good luck finding some old ones.
Were running 120 volts through 3 accumaxs with no noid problems yet... i know eventually they will give out ,but weve put alot of hopps on them at this voltage and they still perform fine.... ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
remember fundamentals of electricity, running them with one wire in one wire out all in series, divides voltage capacity among how many you use, and in parallel with multiple power in and outs divide current flow. in theory ( and a FULL trunk) 3 sets of 3 ran series/parallel would take 96 volts all day long. but..... that just leaves more room for error from ground issues, wiring, and a crowded installation.

G

·
Originally posted by Caddy4DatAZZ@Sep 3 2006, 10:32 PM~6098896
Were running 120 volts through 3 accumaxs with no noid problems yet... i know eventually they will give out ,but weve put alot of hopps on them at this voltage and they still perform fine....  ;)
same here

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
i run 84 volts on prestolite blocks with no problems just keep up on the battery charge :thumbsup: never used those heavyduty noids but it looks like any noids catch fire

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Originally posted by yetti@Sep 3 2006, 09:07 PM~6098178
Accumax won't handle 96 volts, the OLD ACCURATE's would but the new ones won't.  Good luck finding some old ones.
bull shit.. i've been running them for 2 years now.. never once even had to change one accumax out.... maybe i got the good batch, just know mine work great... everything must be grounded good... thats where most peoples problems come from... hell i got a buddy been running autozone niods for over 2 years @84 voltz with no problems,,, he 's even got a case of accurates put up for his car, but as long as the zones' niods work, he's not changeing them....

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Originally posted by BLACK MAGIC CUTTY@Sep 4 2006, 09:52 AM~6100513
bull shit.. i've been running them for 2 years now.. never once even had to change one accumax out.... maybe i got the good batch, just know mine work great... everything must be grounded good... thats where most peoples problems come from... hell i got a buddy been running autozone niods for over 2 years @84 voltz with no problems,,, he 's even got a case of accurates put up for his car, but as long as the zones' niods work, he's not changeing them....
I have built hoppers for years, so don't tell me what I know, accumax's weren't even out 2 years ago. :0

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Originally posted by yetti@Sep 4 2006, 10:24 AM~6100609
I have built hoppers for years, so don't tell me what I know,  accumax's weren't even out 2 years ago.  :0
:ugh:

·
over it
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have tried splitting the bank and running one H.D. at 84V (soleniod @48V) but it still melted the contact disk. 72V is the most I've been able to get these to hold so maybe thats it for this style. I may just have to buy some of those cheesy ass soleniods and give them a try. Has anyone opened up an Accumax/Accurate to see what makes them better than generic soleniods? Any pics out there of the internals? I know this topic really does get beat to death but I'm just trying to exhaust all my options before I give up on these H.D. and have to change my racks around to hold the small ones.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts