LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My a-arm bushings are old and they make squicky sounds I mean a lot of sond. Bu they look like you got to take them out with preassure or something has anyone replace those before. ;)

·
49,409 Posts
What kind of car????????

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
remove the control arms and take them to a shop..

its a major PITA if you dont have a press..

A

·
0 Posts
Hey there,

Have you changed out those bushing yet? One thing to consider, you can use an "air chisle" to remove the bushings (if you have air tools). once you get the hang of it, you can remove and install the rest in a heart beat.
The only catch is that the process is a lot more messy when done this way There was a machine shop that wanted 15 dollars per press (that adds up!!!). Lucky for me, my grandfather had a press. I removed them with an air chisel, then installed them with his press. Something for you to consider, don't forget to use silicon lubricant when removing/installing...later my friend.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
look for a part store or machine shop 2 do them cause if you never done them i dont think youll be able 2 by your self

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Most non-chain parts stores eill press them out for $5 or less.

A

·
0 Posts
Hey there,

Exactly, if you have a parts store that will do it for 5 bucks, by all means do it. but, to do it yourself, all you would need is a solid bench with a vise and an air chisel (if you have air and your doing it that way). All your doing is using the chisel to wedge out the bushing, a little here a little there, de-bur the A-arm, and chisel the new one in. but then again whatever is easiest for you is the name of the game. somethings like that are good to experience. If you want to fool with cars, and want things done right, live to learn. Let me know how it turns out.

Tim

·
49,409 Posts
Originally posted by Big Baller 82cutlass@Nov 10 2003, 09:22 AM
My a-arm bushings are old and they make squicky sounds I mean a lot of sond. Bu they look like you got to take them out with preassure or something has anyone replace those before. ;)
A 2x4 and a sledge will get them fuckers out......Just don't bend the A-Arm when you're close to getting them out. You will need to remove the whole A-Arm rather than trying to do it while it's attached to your car.

Putting them in requires 2 - 2x4's.......one for the bottom and one for the top. I used a socket for the top one, then layed a 2x4 across it and hammered it square on........It worked for me!

It's quite the job though, if you don't have patients, don't try it!

L8

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Nov 10 2003, 03:28 PM

I had to take my control arms to a shop, in order get the new bushings in...
it was very inexpensive. :cool:

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by cruize1+Nov 17 2003, 09:21 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cruize1 @ Nov 17 2003, 09:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--216RIDER@Nov 10 2003, 03:28 PM

I had to take my control arms to a shop, in order get the new bushings in...
it was very inexpensive. :cool:[/b][/quote]
yep I paid 20 for all 8 pushed out

just took them to a repair shop, dont go to autozone and expect them to do them..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts