LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
GLASSHOUSE RIDER
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing 4- 5 1/4 on the rear deck of my 87 cutlass. Can someone recommend what type of amp i should use(2 Ch or 4 Ch). I have a 4 Ch, right now on 2 6x9s, but i'm tossing that out since i need to make a little more space for a Sub Box.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Originally posted by SMURF@Aug 29 2005, 08:13 PM~3715339
I'm installing 4- 5 1/4 on the rear deck of my 87 cutlass. Can someone recommend what type of amp i should use(2 Ch or 4 Ch). I have a 4 Ch, right now on 2 6x9s, but i'm tossing that out since i need to make a little more space for a Sub Box.
whats the RMS on those coaxils (or components)?

lets say your coaxils can handle 50watts RMS and they are 4ohm... i would use a 2 channel amp that releases about 120watts x2 RMS @ 4ohms...

wire the 2 coaxils you placed on the left [for example] in series (you would take the positive of one of the speakers and connect it to the negative of the other speaker... then you would take the remaining positive from the other speaker and run it to the amp, and take the remaining negative from the other speaker and run it to the amp [that will be the positive and negative for ONE of the channels, do the same thing on the right])... that's suppose to reduce harmonic distortion (i dont know if its true or not)...

but you will still be serving up each speaker what it needs and then you'll get a nice "side to side" sound when listening to a song, for example, the lil john song who's chorus goes "The blow, the pills, the yach, the herb" [off of the crunk juice cd]....

thats a nice, clean sounding song if you have a really nice system...

-qs

·
GLASSHOUSE RIDER
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot for the Info.

·
GLASSHOUSE RIDER
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by PROBALLER@Aug 29 2005, 11:20 PM~3717589
I got a 100 Watt alpine component amp, for U cheap, let me know.
How much are you asking for it, and how many channels is it?

·
GLASSHOUSE RIDER
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coo, Let me check if i can use it. I know i probably wont use it for the 5 1/4s, but maybe i'll use it for some tweeters, what do you think?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Originally posted by SMURF@Aug 30 2005, 05:53 PM~3721341
Coo, Let me check if i can use it. I know i probably wont use it for the 5 1/4s, but maybe i'll use it for some tweeters, what do you think?
you mean for a component set up front (when the mid driver and the tweeter are seperated and connected by a crossover)? i still say :thumbsdown: unless your gonna strap something on there that requires no more then 50watts RMS (because thats about all a 100watt peak Alpine amp can produce)...

-qs

·
GLASSHOUSE RIDER
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by CuttieBuddie@Aug 30 2005, 05:53 PM~3722093
you mean for a component set up front (when the mid driver and the tweeter are seperated and connected by a crossover)? i still say  :thumbsdown: unless your gonna strap something on there that requires no more then 50watts RMS (because thats about all a 100watt peak Alpine amp can produce)...

-qs
No, i actually just meant some tweeters alone, not a component system. But i'm really just talking and thinking of ways to do it? You seem to know alot, Big Props. :thumbsup: :cool:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Originally posted by SMURF@Aug 30 2005, 07:59 PM~3722132
No, i actually just meant some tweeters alone, not a component system. But i'm really just talking and thinking of ways to do it? You seem to know alot, Big Props. :thumbsup:  :cool:
yeh, i have some good teachers (brahma brian, ibanender, 1ofaknd, and some bass heads in my area)....

-qs

·
GLASSHOUSE RIDER
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by CuttieBuddie@Aug 30 2005, 06:39 PM~3722333
yeh, i have some good teachers (brahma brian, ibanender, 1ofaknd, and some bass heads in my area)....

-qs
So do you know or does anybody know/or can recommend some good 5 1/4s speakers, I need them them to give good sound when the system is turned up. I don't really care about the bass, since i'm putting a set of 10's or 8's in the trunk.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Originally posted by SMURF@Aug 31 2005, 09:48 AM~3726382
So do you know or does anybody know/or can recommend some good 5 1/4s speakers, I need them them to give good sound when the system is turned up. I don't really care about the bass, since i'm putting a set of 10's or 8's in the trunk.
www.thezeb.com

Check out CDT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts