LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about different types of ground disconnects,could a ground switch be used instead of that plug you twist to disconnect is 1 better than the other,i saw 1 in an old Reds catalog I have

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by milkweed@Sep 17 2007, 01:08 AM~8806827
if the switch melts or arcs together  you will have a big problem real fast.
are they known to do that alot?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Originally posted by d.j.Lowlife@Sep 17 2007, 01:18 AM~8806866
are they known to do that alot?
only if they have too small a rating for the amperage your system draws.

Get on of the correct size and it will be just fine.

i had one melt on me once because it was only rated at about 100amps, thats how i learnt, although i have welders disconnect in it now because its what i had layin about at build time LOL...

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Unity_Jon@Sep 17 2007, 04:57 AM~8807111
only if they have too small a rating for the amperage your system draws.

Get on of the correct size and it will be just fine.

i had one melt on me once because it was only rated at about 100amps, thats how i learnt, although i have welders disconnect in it now because its what i had layin about at build time LOL...
how many amps on a 36 volt system?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Originally posted by d.j.Lowlife@Sep 17 2007, 08:02 AM~8807662
how many amps on a 36 volt system?
Depends on your pumps and the pump heads, the only way to get an idea is to put a meter across one pump and run it and see the current draw then add about 20amps then multiply that by the number of pumps (worst case scenario all pumps stuck on !), its really hit and miss as the motors draw a range of amps depending on heat and length of time its running for.

Because you're talking about a quick disconnect go way over what you think you need to be safe, trouble is the 'key' style disconnects start to look f'kin ugly the more amperage you're dealing with !

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
correction to the above statement. you cant put an am-meter across something to find out how much its drawing. you need to put it inline.
by "inline" i mean the meter has to be in series with the circuit.

or you could use one of them clamp thinggys(cant remeber the name) that just clips around the power wire and will tell you the amount of current flowing in the wire when the pump is running.

id go with the disconnect. not much to it.. and not likley to fuse togeather

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
the quick disconnect cant be more expensive then the ground circuit. my quick disconnect was 15 bucks

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks alot fellas for the input on this,i want this to be the best hydraulic set up i ever done,without any flaws :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
i would definately purchase the quick disconnect. i personally have 2 of them in my car, 1 under my seat and 1 that comes out the back of the car for hopping. i just change from either one depending on what im doin so if theres a problem i got the correct ground cable hooked up

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by KINGFISH_CUSTOMS@Sep 18 2007, 12:49 AM~8814546
i would definately purchase the quick disconnect.  i personally have 2 of them in my car,  1 under my seat and 1 that comes out the back of the car for hopping.  i just change from either one depending on what im doin so if theres a problem i got the correct ground cable hooked up
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Originally posted by socapots@Sep 17 2007, 01:39 PM~8809931
correction to the above statement. you cant put an am-meter across something to find out how much its drawing. you need to put it inline.

:thumbsup: sorry just a terminology thing LOL...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts