LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
you dont need one, but you'll bend all your shit and your cylinders will probably pop through their mounts... DEFINATELY do yourself a favour and spend the extra little bit for a bridge... or else spend hundreds down the road getting your shit fixed and having it never be perfect again

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Originally posted by Jalapeno@Sep 5 2006, 09:36 PM~6113183
do u have to have a bridge in a blazer to do a standing 3 or you dont need one????
You don't need a bridge but you need something for your cylinders & springs.
You could have someone weld up some ears on your frame but you might as well put a bridge. If you're gonna cut it up......do it right. :cool:

·
Registered
17,780 Posts
I had a 91 s-10 with bridge, only safe way to ride on a truck/blazer is with a bridge use mini coils in the rear, with 9 batteries 2 pumps in my truck rode stock :biggrin:

G

·
Originally posted by BigNasty85Regal@Sep 6 2006, 01:03 AM~6113360
I had a 91 s-10 with bridge, only safe way to ride on a truck/blazer is with a bridge use mini coils in the rear, with 9 batteries 2 pumps in my truck rode stock :biggrin:
YOU HAVE NO CREDIBILITY LEFT, GIVE IT UP.

G

·
Originally posted by EL_PASO@Sep 6 2006, 01:11 AM~6113401
I am gone mount mine on the springs, dont need a bridge
if you are talking about the brackets that clamp to the leaf spring and the cylinder mounts too, kiss those leafs goodbye, they are gonna snap in a short period of time.

they basically do the same thing to the leaf spring, as taking a paper clip and bending it until it snaps. TRUST ME, I tried to tell that to a guy 10 years ago, he didnt listen, I ended up having to put a new bed on his truck (not to mention repair the rear suspension) when his spring snapped, the other one wasnt strong enough to keep the rearend in place and the tire tore up the bed side.

you dont "NEED" a bridge that goes into the bed, but a nice piece of 6" channel if you are using standard springs, or 4" channel if you are using mini coils, under the bed going from frame rail to frame rail with the cylinder cutouts, then you can either use a power ball on the axle tube or use a heimjoint and bracket if you dont plan to hop the rear or 3 wheel. or on some trucks you can mount the cylinder on theoutside of the frame with a bracket and use the same method to mount the other end to the axle tube of the rearend.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Originally posted by TATTOO-76@Sep 5 2006, 09:40 PM~6113565
if you are talking about the brackets that clamp to the leaf spring and the cylinder mounts too, kiss those leafs goodbye, they are gonna snap in a short period of time.they basically do the same thing to the leaf spring, as taking a paper clip and bending it until it snaps. TRUST ME, I tried to tell that to a guy 10 years ago, he didnt listen, I ended up having to put a new bed on his truck (not to mention repair the rear suspension) when his spring snapped, the other one wasnt strong enough to keep the rearend in place and the tire tore up the bed side.
you dont "NEED" a bridge that goes into the bed, but a nice piece of 6" channel if you are using standard springs, or 4" channel if you are using mini coils, under the bed going from frame rail to frame rail with the cylinder cutouts, then you can either use a power ball on the axle tube or use a heimjoint and bracket if you dont plan to hop the rear or 3 wheel. or on some trucks you can mount the cylinder on theoutside of the frame with a bracket and use the same method to mount the other end to the axle tube of the rearend.
you talking about these?? http://www.catalog.prohopper.com/index.php?cPath=68_106

AND how thick should the channel be?

G

·
Originally posted by EL_PASO@Sep 6 2006, 01:44 AM~6113593
you talking about these?? http://www.catalog.prohopper.com/index.php?cPath=68_106

AND how thick should the channel be?
looks like they changed the design, either way, its putting un-natural tension on spring steel, not good at all.

the channel can be standard channel, its usually 3/16 or a 1/4" thick. the nice thing about that is the are adding a strong crossmember to your frame, that will help ALOT.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Originally posted by TATTOO-76@Sep 5 2006, 10:02 PM~6113641
looks like they changed the design, either way, its putting un-natural tension on spring steel, not good at all.
the channel can be standard channel, its usually 3/16 or a 1/4" thick. the nice thing about that is the are adding a strong crossmember to your frame, that will help ALOT.
thanks i am ordering one right now

G

·
Originally posted by EL_PASO@Sep 6 2006, 01:13 PM~6115625
yes sir gone call my steel place to get one already put my order in for my power balls from prohopper
just make sure that the size you order is big enough for the springs to sit in, but dont go too much bigger than the springs outside diameter, that way all the stress will be put on the verticals of the channel, that is the strongest area of channel.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Originally posted by TATTOO-76@Sep 6 2006, 09:26 AM~6115710
just make sure that the size you order is big enough for the springs to sit in, but dont go too much bigger than the springs outside diameter, that way all the stress will be put on the verticals of the channel, that is the strongest area of channel.
i am get 6 inch wide cause i am run reg. springs coil over, thanks for the help :biggrin:

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by EL_PASO@Sep 6 2006, 01:28 PM~6115724
i am get 6 inch wide cause i am run reg. springs coil over, thanks for the help :biggrin:
might want to go with 8 inch channel, 6 inch wont let the spring set inside normally.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Originally posted by Tuna_Sammich@Sep 6 2006, 03:13 PM~6118165
might want to go with 8 inch channel, 6 inch wont let the spring set inside normally.
na hommie it fits got one at home right now

·
Registered
380 Posts
yep thats exactly what i used on my 92 im building right now 8in c-channel but the only thing is if its like mine there is a cross member where the shocks were attached i had to cut that out to get the channel to sit where the cyclinders were straight off the axle and not lose the rear seat but another trick i used is if you wanna go low with regular hopping coils is get a piece of pipe a little bigger than the springs and cut a hole in c-channel weld it in and weld up the top cut a hole for the cyclinder and you will get more spring and still ride down by the way the cross memeber your gonna cut out also holds the rear mounts for the gas tank so you'll have to fab new ones but thats no biggie ;)

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
I am gonea run my front factory coils on the back. if i run a full stack will it sit to high? how many turns should i go?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts