LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Originally posted by ragtopking+Dec 19 2003, 03:35 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ragtopking @ Dec 19 2003, 03:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -T [email protected] 17 2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2003, 07:30 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--T BONE
@Dec 17 2003, 12:17 PM
All these shops say if you can't afford an adex, just use italians. Now how come  these same shops all have there own version of a square that they charge 250 bux for???

:confused: :confused: ADEX IS a clone to a ADEL. Right down to the 1956 stamp. :confused: :confused: You mean a clone to a clone? Or do you mean that the ADEX clones aren't as good as a ADEX clone? To answer your question, there seems to be no patent left on ADEL, so everyone is claiming they bought the rights. As far as quality, comes down to who has the best resources to "copy" Adel. I guess ADEX is better than others. :dunno: And they charge more for it

Adex is not a clone, andy lodi owns the patent for that dump.
The Adex dump is a clone, Adel had the patent, then Hydro Aire took the patent over when they bought out Adel. The patent expired 20 years after it was issued. So anyone can copy it now. But keep in mind, none of the current clone dumps are aircraft dumps. They are copies of an aircraft Adel square aircraft dump...right down to the incorrect cure dates, but are NOT aircraft dumps...In order for a dump to be considered as an aircraft dump, it would have been design for aircraft purposes and certified for aircraft useage by the FAA, DOD or MIL. At the moment all current clones seem to fail meeting this criteria. But I will admit, the Adex is probably the best clone out there...But the original Adel square (known as a candle stick in the 60's and 70's) will always be number 1......if they weren't, people wouldn't be copying them...[/b][/quote]
MY QUESTION TO YOU;

If non of the dumps now meet the aproval, yet the ADEX is a copy made better and out performs the original, then how can it FAIL TO MEET THE CRITERIA.. if it were ever tested by the people who make these criteria??????

not that it really even matters because who cares right?? They don't make these any more and in the aircfraft world they are obsolete for current production...

I'm not one to start fights on LIL, just a simple question?

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Originally posted by Volv_lo+Dec 19 2003, 11:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Volv_lo @ Dec 19 2003, 11:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 19 2003, 03:35 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--T BONE
All these shops say if you can't afford an adex, just use italians. Now how come  these same shops all have there own version of a square that they charge 250 bux for???

:confused: :confused: ADEX IS a clone to a ADEL. Right down to the 1956 stamp. :confused: :confused: You mean a clone to a clone? Or do you mean that the ADEX clones aren't as good as a ADEX clone? To answer your question, there seems to be no patent left on ADEL, so everyone is claiming they bought the rights. As far as quality, comes down to who has the best resources to "copy" Adel. I guess ADEX is better than others. :dunno: And they charge more for it

The Adex dump is a clone, Adel had the patent, then Hydro Aire took the patent over when they bought out Adel. The patent expired 20 years after it was issued. So anyone can copy it now. But keep in mind, none of the current clone dumps are aircraft dumps. They are copies of an aircraft Adel square aircraft dump...right down to the incorrect cure dates, but are NOT aircraft dumps...In order for a dump to be considered as an aircraft dump, it would have been design for aircraft purposes and certified for aircraft useage by the FAA, DOD or MIL. At the moment all current clones seem to fail meeting this criteria. But I will admit, the Adex is probably the best clone out there...But the original Adel square (known as a candle stick in the 60's and 70's) will always be number 1......if they weren't, people wouldn't be copying them...
MY QUESTION TO YOU;

If non of the dumps now meet the aproval, yet the ADEX is a copy made better and out performs the original, then how can it FAIL TO MEET THE CRITERIA.. if it were ever tested by the people who make these criteria??????

not that it really even matters because who cares right?? They don't make these any more and in the aircfraft world they are obsolete for current production...

I'm not one to start fights on LIL, just a simple question?[/b][/quote]
I too have wondered about this. I think it might have something to do with current needs and costs to the manufacture to pay the government for testing.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
My dad recovers airplane seats, you have to document everything and keep records of it and all the materials must pass certian expectations... and must all be serialized....

I'm sure if someone was to replace a dump on an original aircraft that would have used the adels and replaced it now with an ADEX you would likley have to test it or have it approved, but who really knows, and seriously who cares who's patend and why they are soo much or if they are even better, we all know that ADEX is proven for our needs, so That should be that....

As for the clones...
CAVIATE EMPTOR (spelling) = LET THE BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Originally posted by Volv_lo@Dec 20 2003, 07:46 PM
My dad recovers airplane seats, you have to document everything and keep records of it and all the materials must pass certian expectations...  and must all be serialized....

I'm sure if someone was to replace a dump on an original aircraft that would have used the adels and replaced it now with an ADEX you would likley have to test it or have it approved, but who really knows, and seriously who cares who's patend and why they are soo much or if they are even better, we all know that ADEX is proven for our needs, so That should be that....

As for the clones...
CAVIATE EMPTOR (spelling) = LET THE BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!
Just seats, what about hydro parts? :wave: ((((slivating))))

·
Registered
152 Posts
Originally posted by Volv_lo+Dec 19 2003, 11:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Volv_lo @ Dec 19 2003, 11:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 19 2003, 03:35 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--T BONE

The Adex dump is a clone, Adel had the patent, then Hydro Aire took the patent over when they bought out Adel. The patent expired 20 years after it was issued. So anyone can copy it now. But keep in mind, none of the current clone dumps are aircraft dumps. They are copies of an aircraft Adel square aircraft dump...right down to the incorrect cure dates, but are NOT aircraft dumps...In order for a dump to be considered as an aircraft dump, it would have been design for aircraft purposes and certified for aircraft useage by the FAA, DOD or MIL. At the moment all current clones seem to fail meeting this criteria. But I will admit, the Adex is probably the best clone out there...But the original Adel square (known as a candle stick in the 60's and 70's) will always be number 1......if they weren't, people wouldn't be copying them...
MY QUESTION TO YOU;

I'm not one to start fights on LIL, just a simple question?[/b][/quote]
My Answer to you. The Adex being better then the Adel is your option. One is an aircraft dump the other is a copy of an aircraft dump. The Adex has never been tested for aircraft use, I don’t think Andy has spent the money for certification to certify the Adex for flight worthness. I know several people on this site mention that it was use on aircrafts, I doubt it very much, cause filing for is very expensive. Just like you mentioned that you or your father are familiar with aircraft seats, well just because a seat may look like an aircraft seat does not make it an aircraft seat. Right? An aircraft seat must be tested for impact, stress loads, sheer on the hard points or seat track, flammability…. Well the same applies to any thing that goes on an aircraft. IT MUST MEET CERTAIN CRITERIA! Bottom line… Adel is design for aircraft usage; Adex is design for automotive usage. Adex and all the clones are NOT aircraft dumps. Now if we want to see which is better, well I guess we would have to test them side by side in a controlled environment applying the same abuse loads, pressure, voltage, wiring, fluids... A NOS Adel up against a new Adex.. May the best dump win. But keep in mind, Adel didn’t copy Adex, Adex copied Adel!!!

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I understand your view and your facts!!!

But ADEL doesn't make a dump anymore and if you own an ADEX your not going to have any trouble in your system (FACT).

We're not building aircrafts, so I think if your competing why not buy the best dump of current production ADEX....

BTW, thanx for your reply. :cheesy:

D

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Volv_lo@Dec 22 2003, 07:10 AM

But ADEL doesn't make a dump anymore and if you own an ADEX your not going to have any trouble in your system (FACT).

We're not building aircrafts, so I think if your competing why not buy the best dump of current production ADEX....

BTW, thanx for your reply. :cheesy:
I am sure the Adex is a great dump. It is also 60 years newer than Adel and doesn't have leather seals. I would rather see Adex build a new dump unique than to reproduce, and put cured in 1956 labels. It tries to be something it really isn't. I had 4 OG Adels, and it is a little frustrating that mine are a little beat up, and someone can have 4 new ones (for show). I sold them now because there are too many copies. If Adex is so great, I am sure they can design new dunps. But use whatever works :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Adex does sell other dumps with out the cured in 56 date stamp...

When my book comes out you'll see his latest dump, very unique... (sorry I cannot describe it with out causing problems)

give him a call, very nice guy, and he'll build you what you want..

and as you say you got rid of the OG adel cause it was beat looking and didn't want to replace it becasue of all the fakes.. you could just buy a brand new adex of the og apperance and know your self that it is of quality...

Hey I'm not saying ADEX is better or worse than any other dump, but it is proven and you of course will be making your own decision when buying any of your components...

I know this topic turned a bit from the original post..
but just my $.02...

·
Registered
762 Posts
adel was fine for aircraft, and certified, someone said andy made them better, he probably tightened up the tolerance to get better precision for us to hop, aviation use actually has looser tolerance so that under extreme conditions the valves still work, but not to any great precision, I would have to verify with andy but I think I hit the nail on the head....

D

·
0 Posts
Whatever the situation, if Adex is a good dump and we get what we pay for that is all that matters. For the guy selling the cheap ones on Ebay, you get what you pay for. Kinda a bummer for one to pay $1200 for 4 and another $360 for 4, AND they look identical. I would buy the higher priced ones, because I hate being broken down in the heat.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Originally posted by DIPPINIT+Dec 22 2003, 09:35 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DIPPINIT @ Dec 22 2003, 09:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Volv_lo@Dec 22 2003, 07:10 AM

BTW, thanx for your reply.  :cheesy:
I am sure the Adex is a great dump. It is also 60 years newer than Adel and doesn't have leather seals. I would rather see Adex build a new dump unique than to reproduce, and put cured in 1956 labels. It tries to be something it really isn't. I had 4 OG Adels, and it is a little frustrating that mine are a little beat up, and someone can have 4 new ones (for show). I sold them now because there are too many copies. If Adex is so great, I am sure they can design new dunps. But use whatever works :biggrin:[/b][/quote]
Dippinit,

I seem to recall those 4 OG Adels for sale, as I recall the guy that beat me to them, bought them to replace his Adex squares. Remember?

D

·
0 Posts
True but the failure rate for Adex is pretty good, and no dump is perfect, so I wasn't gonna bring it up :uh: I have had good and bad everything......

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I don't believe someone sold 4 adexs to replace them with adels...

Thats plain dumb..
If you forget all about the names of the dumps and concentrate on the inner workings and reliability of them, WOULD YOU EVER REPLACE AN ADEX WITH AN ADEL????

" True but the failure rate for Adex is pretty good"

do you mean in a good way or bad??

Its my understanding that all adex's are serialized and documented (much like all aircraft components) so if ever there is a bad one, I may be wrong but I'm very sure Andy would want it in his hands and either fix it for free or replace it...

Thats not a fact but you could always give him a call to verify that!

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Originally posted by hydroaire10@Dec 22 2003, 11:05 AM
adel was fine for aircraft, and certified, someone said andy made them better, he probably tightened up the tolerance to get better precision for us to hop, aviation use actually has looser tolerance so that under extreme conditions the valves still work, but not to any great precision, I would have to verify with andy but I think I hit the nail on the head....
I'm a tool designer and just want to point out that the tighter the tolerances the more load it can take on this type of valve..

I heard once that ADEX sent a dump out for testing and at 10,000 psi it did not bind or crack the body...

you'll have to confirm with ADEX on that, don't want any one to think I'm an ADEX expert...

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Adex is not licensed by Adel, thats why its called Adex.

Its not FAA approved. The Adex dont have the secondary winding in the coil like the Adel. However, that dont mean the war bird restorers cant use them.

Some Adels used leather seals, all Adex use o-ring with teflon back ups.

My biggest preference for using an Adex is the fact that its CLEAN. Adels were assembled on work benches and werent made to be pretty, all of them, even NOS ones have teeth marks from vise jaws.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Originally posted by ogcaddy@Dec 23 2003, 10:37 AM
Adex is not licensed by Adel, thats why its called Adex.

Its not FAA approved. The Adex dont have the secondary winding in the coil like the Adel. However, that dont mean the war bird restorers cant use them.

Some Adels used leather seals, all Adex use o-ring with teflon back ups.

My biggest preference for using an Adex is the fact that its CLEAN. Adels were assembled on work benches and werent made to be pretty, all of them, even NOS ones have teeth marks from vise jaws.
Thanks Jason for sheding some light on this... Give me a call.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts