LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody have these? Just wandering what purpose they serve other than looks. This guy i know said if you extend the uppers and shorten the rear they make it easier to do a power three. g body. Please tell me more.. :cool:

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
they would allow u to set the rear end back more to allow some of the driveline to come out of the tranny so that when u locked the car up, u wouldnt be shoving the drive line up into the tranny as well as ripping tranny mounts, also like another person mentioned they help with pinion angle on a car thats running a cylinder larger then 10 inches. a slip yoke will only allow so much of the driveline to go in before it to will be at its max and yet u still have a pinion angle to deal with. for instance take my regal which has both adjustable uppers and lowers as well as a slip n stub or slip yoke as some call it. even when my lower trailing arms will exteneded 2 1/4 inches when lockin up the car the slip yoke would collapse like it should but id still have a pinion angle problem. my drive shaft wasnt shortened enough so i had to take it down and have it redone. now the second problem u run into is u could also shorten the drive shaft up too much so that when ur car is layed out the driveline comes out of the tranny and if ud ont have ur lowers either adjustable or extending ur stock ones u dont the chance to find ur cars happy medium or being able to compensate for the driveline adjustments.

·
SO FRESH!!!!!
12,453 Posts
:cool:

·
Registered
486 Posts
before and after pics are sick. please if you guys and gals have some pics like that post them up...

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Originally posted by B_BORGERDING@Sep 20 2007, 12:58 PM~8832777
How much are your adjustable upper and lower trailing arms adjusted?

I'm getting both upper and lowers for my Cutlass, and don't have any clue on how long to adjust them to.
trial and error basically for any given car i'd guess.... i jus tried to use common sense

i adjusted the uppers to jus about an inch over stock to correct the pinion angle when locked up.

i adjusted the lowers to jus about an inch over stock to push the wheel well further back when locked up...

that seemed to be a good happy medium..the car still rode good laid out, and locked up much higher and drove. But my car didn't sit that low , if u got a car that lays real low u might have binding issues laid out.

I think that u can get the best of both worlds to a degree by dropping your upper mounts, but i never got into that.

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
most people have their uppers and lowers (stock arms) cut and stretched up to 2 inches anyways. so an inch is always a good place to start at with any ajustable suspension. my car sits stock height when layed out. full stack of 4 1/2 tons up front and 2 tons in the rear with i believe 2 turns cut out. so if i ever have any problems i can still drive the car home. but as it all goes, u just have to find the happy medium for the car. its very hard to get ur car to drive all the way locked up or all the way dumped out if u didnt do any modifications to the motor and tranny itself such as raising the motor and tranny up. u also gotta remember some people have slip yoke drive lines and different size cylinders. so what might be good for my car isnt necessarily gonna be correct for the next persons car unless its the exact same setup.

for those who are on a budget and have stock lower trailing arms on g bodies when u lock the car up the top of the lower trailing arms hits the mount on the rear end. u can cut that part off the rear end and if u take ur lower arm off u can cut the arm and bend it out an inch, reinforce it and weld it back up and the arm wont hit the bottom of the rear end so soon, also might wanna stretch the arm out a inch to 2 inches. i believe i cut them at the first hole thats on teh sides of the arms closest to the rear end. u can buy adjustable lowers from black magic hyraulics with the curve in it for this purpose

heres a pic that i did on PAINT so i dont wanna hear no shit about it lol but i hope it give u the idea as to what im talking about. and the bend is closest to the rear end

·
Registered
267 Posts
:cool: GOT UPPER & LOWERS TODAY THERE THE ADJUSTABLES FROM PRO HOPPER. ANY ONE HAVE SOM RECOMENDATIONS ON WHAT SIZE I CAN ADJUST THEM SO I CAN POSE 3 PREETY HIGH, AN SO MY DRIVESHAFT WONT MAKE NOISE, & ALSO HAVE A PREETY HIGH LOCKUP. MY CYLENDERS ARE 14S BUT IM GOING TO GET SOME 18 TELESCOPIC. & MY DRIVESHAFT HAS A SILP YOKE ANY SUGJESTIONS WILL HELP THANKS :cool:

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
pretty much with adjustable uppers and lowers ur gonna have to play with them to find ur cars liking to them. i would start out 1 to 1 1/2 inch on the lowers and 2 to 3 inches on ur uppers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts